Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish 23 Man Squad - The Run In

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

but1er wrote: »
    can we bring 2 keepers? is that allowed? if so only 2 keepers and an extra striker

Needs to be three keepers
    and they have to stay keepers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Sin City wrote: »
    Needs to be three keepers
    and they have to stay keepers

stupid rule :confused:

but1er wrote: »
    stupid rule :confused:

Fear not as if all three keepers are injured , the might John O Shea can play in goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Spartak Moscow v Dinamo Moscow, 3:30pm kick off, Live on ESPN

Stream:
    http://www.vipbox.tv/watch/50122/1/fk-spartak-moscow-vs-fk-dinamo-moscow-live-stream-online.html

McGeady starts the game.

Spartak Moscow: Rebrov, Makeev, Pareja, Rodriguez, Zotov, Carioca, McGeady, K.Kombarov, Emenike, Dzyuba, Ari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Kuranyi scored a peach but Spartak were poor defensively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Also not a chance of Cox being left out as Trap loves him (and he is ahead of Long in the pecking order)
    Is that definitely the case? Would have thought that Cox was 5th in the pecking order. Wasn't Trap all set to start Long in one of the games back in the autumn ahead of Doyle / Walters but injury prevented him from doing so?

Vokes wrote: »
    Is that definitely the case? Would have thought that Cox was 5th in the pecking order. Wasn't Trap all set to start Long in one of the games back in the autumn ahead of Doyle / Walters but injury prevented him from doing so?

Normally I would have thought so too, but I think Cox has leap frogged over those ahead of him (strange considering his position at WB)

We do know that Trap doesnt always pick the best players but those who he likes of fits in his system

Cox does both

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Keepers

Shay Given, Kieran Westwood, David Forde

Defenders

Stephen Kelly, Kevin Foley, Ciaran Clark, Stephen Ward, Richard Dunne, Sean St.Ledger, John O'Shea, Shane Duffy

Midfielders

Aidan McGeady, Seamus Coleman, Damien Duff, James McClean, Glen Whelan, Darren Gibson, Keith Andrews, James McCarthy

Strikers

Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, Jonathan Walters

That would be my squad.

Clark provides cover for left full, central defence and also central midfield.

Duffy can provide cover for central defence, he will be the future at centre half for us.

Competition for starting places in midfield has ramped up. McClean has staked a claim for inclusion out wide, he deserves a spot ahead of Stephen Hunt.

The form of Gibson and McCarthy at club level provides stern competition to Whelan and Andrews.

Players being left behind: McShane, O'Dea, S.Hunt, Fahey, Lawrence, Green, Keogh, Cox and Best.

Starting XI for Croatia

Given

Kelly
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Clark

McGeady
    Whelan
    Andrews
    Duff

Keane
    Walters

Clark won't go, neither will Shane Duffy. Harte or Tierney should have been given a chance as should Marc Wilson. But that's not going to happen now. McClean has to go now, but I can't see him taking Coleman and McClean to be honest. Also I'd doubt Cox gets left behind, he'll be part of 5 strikers including the 4 you have. I also reckon he'll take Paul Green, which would be absolutely f***ing daft, but Trap does make some strange decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Coleman also wont make the trip

(If he did he would.Should be starting at right back ahead of Kelly)
    Why? His form this season has been pretty poor, even Moyes has spoken about it publicly. Not only that, but I don't believe he has played at right back at all this season. Why would we put him at right back when Stephen Kelly has had a very decent season by all accounts?

Coleman also wont make the trip

(If he did he would.Should be starting at right back ahead of Kelly)
    Why? His form this season has been pretty poor, even Moyes has spoken about it publicly. Not only that, but I don't believe he has played at right back at all this season. Why would we put him at right back when Stephen Kelly has had a very decent season by all accounts?
    Admitadly coleman hasn't been at his best this season but.considering what he has done should count,
    Kelly on the other hand is the opposite
    Having a good season now rather than his past games

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

I don't understand how St.Ledger got into the squad and is still there. Struggling in the championship and there is plenty of premier league defenders better than him. Plus it is very annoying listening to him when interviewed by the media.

closeline wrote: »
    I don't understand how St.Ledger got into the squad and is still there. Struggling in the championship and there is plenty of premier league defenders better than him. Plus it is very annoying listening to him when interviewed by the media.

In fairness he is pretty good for ireland
    And.id prefer him to mcshane

He was dropped at the start of the year for a few games, but he played his way back into the team and finished strongly. He has always performed well for us, and the alternative is Darren O'Dea or Paul McShane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2012/0503/319456-euro-2012-traps-23-the-midfielders/

Anyone know who the 'established player' is? (It's under the write-up on Keith Fahey)

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

This is what I think the squad will be:

GK: Given, Westwood, Forde

DF: Kelly, Foley, Dunne, St Ledger, O'Shea, Ward, O'Dea

MF: Whelan, Andrews, Gibson, Fahey

W: Duff, McGeady, Hunt, McClean

FW: Keane, Doyle, Long, Walters, Cox

Would love to see McCarthy in for either Gibson or Fahey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,164 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Shay Given
    Keiren Westwood
    David Forde

Stephen Kelly
    Kevin Foley
    Richard Dunne
    John O'Shea
    Sean St Ledger
    Darren O'Dea
    Stephen Ward

Damien Duff
    Darron Gibson
    Glenn Whelan
    Keith Andrews
    James McCarthy
    Wes Hoolahan
    Aiden McGeady
    James McClean

Robbie Keane
    Shane Long
    Jonathan Walters
    Simon Cox
    Kevin Doyle

I hope Trap picks McClean and McCarthy at least. I doubt Hoolahan will be called up and desperately hoping that Paul Green doesn't make the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

jebforever,

Apart from Hoolahan, I reckon you have got the 22 other spots right. Unfortunately, I see Green getting the other one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,164 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Yeah, can't see Hoolahan being called upon. In my opinion Green won't be of any use to us in Poland so I don't see the point in him being included.

Good article on St. Ledger and why he should be in the squad - http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/euro-2012/irish-news/ireland-noshows-blew-big-chance-st-ledger-3096828.html
    SEAN ST Ledger says that the players who didn't show up for Irish duty last summer must be regretting it now -- as he prepares for a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The Leicester defender is a loyal member of Giovanni Trapattoni's squad and reported for international action a year ago while carrying an injury. He stuck around rather than going on an early summer holiday and recovered in time to star in the June friendly win over Italy in Liege. This June, he will grace the one of the biggest stages, while some of those who missed out 12 months ago are out in the cold.

Marc Wilson was named in the team for the Carling Nations Cup clash with Northern Ireland, but was absent without explanation and never quite patched up his relationship with Trapattoni.

Anthony Stokes said he was too tired, while Caleb Folan pulled out through injury and then lined out for Colorado Rapids in the MLS during the same time frame.

Aston Villa's Ciaran Clark sat on the bench for his club 48 hours before the Northern Ireland game, and was subsequently withdrawn due to a sciatica problem. He hasn't lined out for Ireland since.

Sacrifice

"There are people who didn't show up in the summer and if you look at the bigger picture, they wouldn't have thought that we'd be going to a European Championship and they're the ones who are missing out now," said St Ledger yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

By playing excellently for Ireland. The fact that he is having trouble in his club career will only be a problem if it causes his international form to dip, but it hasn't yet.

There are no Irish CBs who look like they could do better than St Ledger already has for us.

The Dunne, St Ledger, Given partnership is working (about the only area on the pitch that is fully functioning), breaking that up because of issues St Ledger is having outside the team is a terrible idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Because when he has gotten into the team for us he's done well. Once you get into the team usually your form there would dictate whether you stay rather than your club form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

RTÉ.ie will have live coverage of the announcement of the Euro 2012 Republic of Ireland squad on Monday 7 May.
    Giovanni Trapattoni will announce his 23 man Republic of Ireland squad for the Euro 2012 finals at 3.30pm on Monday 7 May in a press conference at the Aviva Stadium.
    The press conference will be available to Irish soccer fans worldwide on RTÉ.ie/sport, RTÉ.ie/news, RTÉ Player and RTÉ News Now.
    The squad named will also be on duty for the game with Bosnia & Herzegovina at the Aviva Stadium on 26 May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    This is what I think the squad will be:

GK: Given, Westwood, Forde

DF: Kelly, Foley, Dunne, St Ledger, O'Shea, Ward, O'Dea

MF: Whelan, Andrews, Gibson, Fahey

W: Duff, McGeady, Hunt, McClean

FW: Keane, Doyle, Long, Walters, Cox

Would love to see McCarthy in for either Gibson or Fahey.

That's 4 left wingers in the squad. Hasn't a hope of happening, he'll bring McCarthy instead

cgpg5 wrote: »
    That's 4 left wingers in the squad. Hasn't a hope of happening, he'll bring McCarthy instead

It may not happen, but I don't think it will be because 3 of them are left wingers. That doesn't matter.

Duff always plays right side and McGeady left, both cutting in onto their stronger left foot.
    If Hunt or McClean come on for McGeady, they go left side and Duff stays right.

If either comes on for Duff, McGeady goes right side.

Only problem is if Hunt and McClean are both on, which I don't see happening, barring injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

jebforever wrote: »
    Yeah, can't see Hoolahan being called upon. In my opinion Green won't be of any use to us in Poland so I don't see the point in him being included.

Green will be of zero use but Trap will probably bring him anyway out of loyalty, as he's been consistently in Trap's squads along the way. Hoolahan or McCarthy would be infinitely more useful to have in the squad (only problem with WH is that he hasn't really been integrated into the Trap system).

It isn't really. Duff spends more time on the right these days, and McGeady can play right or left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

TheBunk1 wrote: »
    It may not happen, but I don't think it will be because 3 of them are left wingers. That doesn't matter.

Duff always plays right side and McGeady left, both cutting in onto their stronger left foot.
    If Hunt or McClean come on for McGeady, they go left side and Duff stays right.

If either comes on for Duff, McGeady goes right side.

Only problem is if Hunt and McClean are both on, which I don't see happening, barring injury.

Yes I see where you're coming from but it's still 4 left wingers. Duff plays right but can cover left as he's left footed. Why not bring an extra centre mid? Worst comes to worst Fahey can go to the wing or even Long to left winger. It would be nonsensical bringing them 4 imo.

The only way i see McClean going is because Duff misses out or Hunt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think McCarthy would be very unlucky to miss out on the squad, he's been excellent for Wigan since Christmas. It's a pity some people still hold a grudge against him over that whole mix up that was subsequently explained as that. He's a better midfielder than both Andrews and Whelan, but this airtight, lack of change system means Whelan and Andrews will probably be our centre midfielders till they're both around 43.

Yes I see where you're coming from but it's still 4 left wingers. Duff plays right but can cover left as he's left footed. Why not bring an extra centre mid? Worst comes to worst Fahey can go to the wing or even Long to left winger. It would be nonsensical bringing them 4 imo.

The only way i see McClean going is because Duff misses out or Hunt.

Considering almost all of our play comes from the wings I think it's far from nonsensical to bring 4 wingers. Granted three of em are left sided but two can play right side.

I'd love to see McCarthy go too, he deserves it the way he's played. I get what you're saying about Fahey and Long, Walters could do a job on the right wing too, but then you've players out of position, which is not ideal when so much emphasis is placed on Traps system.

Hopefully we won't see Paul Green anyway :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Corholio wrote: »
    I think McCarthy would be very unlucky to miss out on the squad, he's been excellent for Wigan since Christmas. It's a pity some people still hold a grudge against him over that whole mix up that was subsequently explained as that. He's a better midfielder than both Andrews and Whelan, but this airtight, lack of change system means Whelan and Andrews will probably be our centre midfielders till they're both around 43.

It would be absolutely outrageous if McCarthy misses out in the squad. It was be unbelievably outrageous if Paul Green was in and he wasn't.

McCarthy has been excellent for Wigan in their survival bid. I watched him against Arsenal and I thought he was the best player on the pitch. He is quite easily our best central midfielder on form. All the rest of them are struggling bar Hoolahan, and he has no chance. It's inconceivable that McCarthy is overlooked for far inferior players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He wont get in the squad, but I would not kind seeing Ian Harte back even just to come on for last 10 minutes if we are down a goal.

His set pieces are still world class

Advertisement