Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting into town on a nice bike.

Options
  • 19-10-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a nice enough bike Giant xtc that I am going to need to park up on fleet street.

Firstly, anyone know of any (safe) car parks that would let you lock a bike in them?
    Secondly, any advice on how to hide the fact that its a nice enough bike?

I have two U locks (one oxford the other abus) and the wheels are no longer quick release.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

can of green enamel paint over the bike , cover it in Mud , add a basket on the front . Now chip the paint .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

How long will it be parked? Is it possible to take it indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its gonna be there all day, so say 9:30 until at least 7, often possibly later.
    no inside to put it in :(

Would it be safer on westmorland street?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try outside Pearse Street Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Inside Trinity may be a good bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Maybe look at parking it in Temple Bar Car Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dunno about Trinity, when I went to UCD it was a hotbed of bike nicking!
    The Garda station might be a good idea allright!

I was wondering about the car park, but I doubt they would let you park a bike there?

any ideas on how to make the bike look a bit less flashy?
    Id rather not paint it but I guess if there is no other option...

cheers for the replies

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Locking your bike in front of the Garda station soounds like a good idea, specially if you use a lock that can be only cut with power tools.

This lock is considered the best on the market:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18394

In tests, it can't be cut, sawed, picked or leveraged open, it could only be broken after 12 minutes with power tools. This is the record for all locks against power tools.

Note this is a mini u-lock, so it has to be used in a very specific way and in conjunction with other locks:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Also Note that this is a very heavy lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Anyone remember the bike shop on the north quays between the H'penny Bridge and O'Connel bridge that used to store your bike for you for a small fee ? Can't remember the name of it (possible Hardings) but it's gone now, something like that used to be very handy could do with something similar, always used it myself whenever cycling into the city plus you didn't have to carry a big lock and chain with you.

Advertisement