Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax after divorce

Options
  • 28-09-2014 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

Hi, got divorced from wife, we still have reasonably good relations, as we have a daughter (5y).

I am paying maintenance money , also i am minding daughter when i am not working( as casual not really many days working) - dropping to school, picking up .. etc . , in evening, after work, daughters mom collecting her. i am on casual work, and ex-wife on full time work.

Went over to tax office, gave all divorce dockets, and they said, that ill be paying single persons tax.

well.. money is tight and i am paying maintenance money monthly, which is nearly my one week earnings, on top of that all my living and bills.

Is anything i can do to reduce my tax, or get some help? I am on social welfare, but not receiving anything from them, as i have most of time maximum shifts a week , so not entitled to anything.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

OP - You might want to check out the Taxation forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

smcgiff wrote: »
    OP - You might want to check out the Taxation forum.

Sorry, couldnt find one, maybe that one would suit - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1533 ? Moderators free to move my thread to most suitable forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

If the maintenance is to your ex-wife rather than your child and it is legally enforced (ie part of the divorce agreement) you can claim a tax credit for the amount you pay.

First of all you should check if you are paying tax. Someone working casual hours probably isn't earning enough to bring them into the tax net. If you are paying tax and your ex-wife has low earnings (16k or less including social welfare / maintenance) and you have a good relationship with her she may be willing to relinquish her Single Parent Child Carer credit to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Thanks, i will have to talk to her.

Advertisement