Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to college, first time, mature student

Options
  • 13-01-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I was made short time in work in November and after talking it over with the family it seems to be a pretty good time to go back and get my degree as I may qualify for a grant or fee payment.

That is what I am here inquiring about, I am currently on the part time for Jobseekers Benefit, I have applied to the CAO and registered my course choices, in the process of filling in the rest of the necessary documentation now.

When it comes to SUSI, am I eligible for help as I am on a social welfare payment or is it only if you are on a full time payment, as in not working at all?

I can keep working while in college so basically all I would like is the fees paid if that is possible, would be a huge help. I have never been to college before, been working since I was 15 and always had a job that paid well enough I foolishly didn't think education was so important. I realise now of course how crucial it is to have papers to back up your CV with and it will set a good example for my kids.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Was my question really that dumb?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

This forum is generally fairly quiet, it might be a good idea to ask over in the State Benefits forum, they might be able to give you some more info on the jobseekers element or advise whose best to talk to!

I'm no expert on the matter but as far as I know since you've never been to college before you shouldn't have to pay fees, just the student contribution at the max I think. If you can get a grant they would then cover this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭wiz569

Was my question really that dumb?

Not dumb at all m8,wish I had the balls to back to college but at 50 I think that boat has sailed for me,

Anyway have you tried the ready reckoner on the susi website, that will tell you whether you are eligible or not,best of luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,048 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thanks :) I did an eligibility thing on the SUSI website alright and it said I may be eligible but since I can't apply yet, and SUSI have no date for when applications are open I am still in the dark and a bit unsure of how to go about it.

I'll try the state benefits forum maybe, thanks for the info.

Advertisement