Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dropped out of college

Options
  • 10-01-2016 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am applying to go back to college this year and am wondering will the college i am applying to be able to check that I dropped out before? I am worried it might affect their decision to allow me to study. I will be returning as a mature student and will be entering with an interview so I hope it wont affect it too much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

I'd imagine they'll ask alright, I started a new course this year having dropped out of a different college 3 years ago. I went through CAO and just had to confirm how long I was in the course and get the form signed by my old college -this was requested by the college. There were other paperwork requirements from CAO but I assume that this wouldn't come into play since you won't be applying through them.

I know it's a different process going through the interview as a mature student rather than just applying via CAO, butI don't think you having started another course previously should affect your chances this time around. I would have a good answer prepared as to why you dropped out though!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Hk09485

I still had to apply through the CAO I think they have changed how you ally to some colleges this year. It seems that the direct application is gone. Hopefully all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

Hk09485 wrote: »
    I still had to apply through the CAO I think they have changed how you ally to some colleges this year. It seems that the direct application is gone. Hopefully all goes well.

Ah ok, is there not a section on CAO asking about previous education or previous college courses or something? It's ages since I did mine so I can't really remember it but I think it should ask you for years attended etc and then you'd need to post CAO the proof from your own college.

My opinion would be that it's always better to be upfront about it from the start, I think you'd only be paranoid all year that they'd find out otherwise. I'm sure they have some way of checking your education history and they might cancel your application if the information provided isn't correct or something!

I found emailing CAO to be fairly useless, vey stock answers, but if you give them a call they seem to be much more helpful on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hk09485 wrote: »
    I will be returning as a mature student and will be entering with an interview so I hope it wont affect it too much.
    How long ago did you drop out, and are the courses the same, or completely different?

Advertisement