Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

U-Turns on mini roundabouts

Options
  • 12-11-2008 2:36pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭

OK perhaps this is covered in the new ROTR, but I didnt come across it.

Anyway I was driving by Lansdowne Road yesterday and there is one of those badly marked mini roundabouts on a junction with 3 exits although in practical terms it looks like a T-Junction.

Anyway its something Ive wondered by i only saw it in "action" for the first time yesterday. The road is pretty narrow but basically some punter did a "U-turn" maneover on the roundabout to go back the direction he came.

It was a pretty unexpected move but traffic was light and fortunately all road users understood the Yield law for roundabouts.

But either way it seemed pretty dangerous. Is it covered in the ROTR?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

faceman wrote: »

Anyway I was driving by Lansdowne Road yesterday and there is one of those badly marked mini roundabouts on a junction with 3 exits although in practical terms it looks like a T-Junction.

Anyway its something Ive wondered by i only saw it in "action" for the first time yesterday. The road is pretty narrow but basically some punter did a "U-turn" maneover on the roundabout to go back the direction he came.

It was a pretty unexpected move but traffic was light and fortunately all road users understood the Yield law for roundabouts.

The person did a U turn on a round about.

It may be a badly marked roundabout but at the end of the day it is a round about!

He was perfectly entitled too complete this maneuver!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Ditto. Can't see a problem with this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

faceman wrote: »

Its not really a u turn now come on.
    He just took the third exit! Its what its there for to allow for these kinda things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It is a roundabout but anytime I have carried out this maneouver, I would be vary of all the other traffic around me and use common sense to avoid being hit by someone. Not a good idea generally though I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,388 ✭✭✭fletch

In Clondalkin, there is a roundabout where you have to do a "u-turn" on one of the mini roundabouts.
    If you are coming down the Old Nangor Road from the Mill Shopping Centre, and want to turn right on to the R113, here, there is a traffic island blocking you turning right so you have to turn left and do a "u-turn" at the mini roundabout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

mickdw wrote: »
    It is a roundabout but anytime I have carried out this maneouver, I would be vary of all the other traffic around me and use common sense to avoid being hit by someone. Not a good idea generally though I would say.

Yes, some of those mini roundabouts are somewhat innocous and to help avoid accidents one should make judicous use of indicator and brake.

I know we should all use our indicators on roundabouts anyway but for some reason a lot don't bother with this law....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

In Ireland though it seems more appropriate to just make a u-turn anywhere you like, feck everyone else - they can wait...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

While technically a roundabout, many of the mini roundabouts are on narrow roads and have nothing more than a small faded white circle painted on the road to indicate the roundabout.

While some mini roundabouts offer adequate space to complete the move without risk of accident, the inept nature of many people to use regular roundabouts coupled with the narrow roads that mini roundabouts often reside on, would, to me, raise a question about the safety of doing so, legal or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I find about 10% of drivers seem to realise that those small roundabouts are actually roundabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

Often see gob****es doing a uturn in the middle of the m50 flyover near me that has a roundabout each end!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

b.c wrote: »
    Often see gob****es doing a uturn in the middle of the m50 flyover near me that has a roundabout each end!!!!

Knocklyon/Firhouse FTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

T-Maxx wrote: »
    In Ireland though it seems more appropriate to just make a u-turn anywhere you like, feck everyone else - they can wait...

It was a roundabout:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

nothing to see here, move on

Advertisement