Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Thought they got free tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Larsso30

paulie21 wrote: »
    Went in to pre order with local ticketmaster agent. One of the staff said 75 tickets were upper davin other said the nally. Anyone know for sure

which one might chance my arm too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

prodsc wrote: »

Never heard of preordering with TM!!

Nally?? Behind the stage? or is the stage going to be in front of the Cusack?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

no word of a presale online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Wooderson

PTH2009 wrote: »

going to take a lot to beat this in croke park. will always remember this :o:o:o What a day it was

Better version in Limerick mate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The version at the concert you went to is better than the version at the concert I went to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Galway gig a runner?

adrian522 wrote: »
    The version at the concert you went to is better than the version at the concert I went to?

The version without Glen Hansard...

;)

Unless youre a big Glen Hansard fan of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭littlevillage

bigpink wrote: »
    Galway gig a runner?

Plenty of fans of the boss out here in the wild west. Wouldn't it be great? Pearse Stadium as the sun goes down on Galway bay :rolleyes: would sell out, no problem.

But realistically, the smart money is for a 2nd gig on the Sunday in Croker. It will be announced to much fanfare on Thursday afternoon when all the tix for 27th have sold out in less than 5 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Just a question for the anoraks. But what kind of capacity does Croke park have for concerts like this ? three quarters of the stands can be used and maybe three quarters of the pitch area. Must be more than 80,000 ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It's still around 80,000 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Just a question for the anoraks. But what kind of capacity does Croke park have for concerts like this ? three quarters of the stands can be used and maybe three quarters of the pitch area. Must be more than 80,000 ?

The best comparison is

82,200 for U2 - Vertigo tour

81,000 for U2 - 360 tour (bigger stage needed)

So at a guess somewhere between 82,000 and 83,000 for Bruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,515 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

bcklschaps wrote: »
    So at a guess somewhere between 82,000 and 83,000 for Bruce.

The óle ólers will be out in force. Trains of them from kips like Longford and Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭hynesie08

The Nal wrote: »
    The óle ólers will be out in force. Trains of them from kips like Longford and Cavan.

Just avoid Quinns and the big tree and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭foxirl

Anyone any idea where each of the categories of seats are ie the 65, 116 and 131. Guessing the 65 are probably high up with restricted view near the hill 16 side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Where will the pit line be? If they have any sense it'll be organised for behind the Davin in the carpark there thus minimum impact on locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bm92

Thinking of heading Rome instead of Dublin, anyone thinking same? Can get apartment for five nights for cost of hotel room in dublin for one. Circus Maximus sounds like it could be a great gig, does anyone know where to buy them? I think they go on sale on Friday but not sure where ha

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭_Lola_

bm92 wrote: »
    Thinking of heading Rome instead of Dublin, anyone thinking same? Can get apartment for five nights for cost of hotel room in dublin for one. Circus Maximus sounds like it could be a great gig, does anyone know where to buy them? I think they go on sale on Friday but not sure where ha

http://www.ticketone.it/biglietti.html?affiliate=ITT&erid=1592902&action=tickets&doc=artistPages/tickets&fun=artist&language=en

They go on sale on Saturday.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Traveling to see Bruce is a great thing. Skip Ireland and do Roma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sportzstar

Will they announce a Saturday gig before tomorrow morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bm92

_Lola_ wrote: »

Awesome thanks for that! I wonder will they sell out fast? Not sure whether to buy flights now or wait until I've got GA tickets.
    Can't recommend it highly enough. Traveling to see Bruce is a great thing. Skip Ireland and do Roma.

Yeah I think I'm set on that now, does the pit system work the same way? as thinking of arriving day before for Roll Calling

• Registered Users Posts: 15,844 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Value? Are you high? I've been to loads of long shows before. Twice as long is pushing it aswell. But some of the better Bruce shows I've been to have been the shorter ones. 3 hour mark.

Wilco are playing Dublin. Seen them do close to 3 hours before. They're a far more relevant band and are charging 50 quid. And look at this for a setlist.

Are you having a giraffe? WTF are Wilco? how can you compare someone as big as Bruce to a band that most people have never heard of? And what is so relevant about them?
    ankaragucu wrote: »
    A couple of comments.
    The ticket price is expensive.Any more so than most other big gigs in Ireland?No.You may aswell criticize them ALL on price.
    As Bruce's shows can never be described as short or lacklustre, you're getting better value for money than most artists shows.
    Finally (and I hate to bring it up, but) I find it incredible that people who have a problem paying €100 to see Springsteen DONT have a problem paying 2 and 3 times for their water!!!

Get out ta fcuk will ya. What kind of a stupid thing is that to say.
    Me too. And Stolen Car. And Independence Day.

The problem is that we have to sit through Sherry Darling, Jackson Cage, Crush on You, You Can Look But You Better Not Touch, I Wanna Marry You, Cadillac Ranch and I'm a Rocker etc to hear the good stuff. And by the looks of the setlists, an 8 minute version of Shout at the end aswell. :confused:

I'm really not sure how Joe Spudmuncher down the back of the stadium will react to a 90 minute album in full that they only know 2-3 tunes from. A genuine worry.

If you keep talkin' you'll be walkin' that last block, and you can take a subway Luas back to the ghetto tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

sportzstar wrote: »
    Will they announce a Saturday gig before tomorrow morning?

There is no Saturday gig. The Sunday has been provisionally marked as a second show if there is going to be one, but it will depend on the sales.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't added tbh. The Irish always turn out in force for Bruce - even if a lot of the casual fans might be dismayed at the setlist that is currently being played in the US.

Awesome thanks for that! I wonder will they sell out fast? Not sure whether to buy flights now or wait until I've got GA tickets.
    Book the flights, you'll always get a GA ticket.
    Yeah I think I'm set on that now, does the pit system work the same way? as thinking of arriving day before for Roll Calling

No idea about Italy. Barcelona 2012 was easy both nights. Got there at 6pm and strolled in. Stockholm 2013 was a nightmare. But got there at about 5pm and just got in the pit. Depends on the country I guess.
    Seve OB wrote: »
    Are you having a giraffe? WTF are Wilco? how can you compare someone as big as Bruce to a band that most people have never heard of? And what is so relevant about them?

Constantly playing new material, charge a fair amount so fans of all ages and means can afford to go. Have a fanbase that wants new stuff, always looking forward, don't rely on old albums to prop up gigs, take chances with new material etc etc.

Bruces current prices means that the crowd is made up of mainly older/wealthier people. And people who go to a gig every year or two. Bores basically, in crowd terms.
    I'd be very surprised if it wasn't added tbh. The Irish always turn out in force for Bruce - even if a lot of the casual fans might be dismayed at the setlist that is currently being played in the US.

Yep. The setlist from the other night. Seems to be about the standard. It'll have a lot of people scratching their heads in May.

Do you reckon people know the River is over an hour an a half long live? Half the gig.

Constantly playing new material, charge a fair amount so fans of all ages and means can afford to go. Have a fanbase that wants new stuff, always looking forward, don't rely on old albums to prop up gigs, take chances with new material etc etc.

Bruces current prices means that the crowd is made up of mainly older/wealthier people. And people who go to a gig every year or two. Bores basically, in crowd terms.

Yep. The setlist from the other night. Seems to be about the standard. It'll have a lot of people scratching their heads in May.

Do you reckon people know the River is over an hour an a half long live? Half the gig.

When I went on to an American site I got a pop up telling me that this was The River tour - it really went to pains to emphasise that fans will be lucky to hear the hits. We won't get such a gesture from TM.ie or the national broadcasters who are advertising it and, as a result, a HUGE amount of the casual fans will be left scratching their heads.

A gig of this size, by default, will attract people who aren't too familiar with Bruce, etc. and will probably leave wondering what the big deal is. it is a nice treat for fans to see the River in action, but I can't help but wonder if it would be wise to alter things before taking it on the road in Europe.

I can imagine Croker being FULL of groups chatting during some of the slower numbers on the album, hoping for a big hit to be dropped in.

Also, a big Wilco fan and can't wait to see them in action for the first time. Bands at different points in their careers, though, so not entirely sure if the comparison is apt.

When I went on to an American site I got a pop up telling me that this was The River tour - it really went to pains to emphasise that fans will be lucky to hear the hits. We won't get such a gesture from TM.ie or the national broadcasters who are advertising it and, as a result, a HUGE amount of the casual fans will be left scratching their heads.

A gig of this size, by default, will attract people who aren't too familiar with Bruce, etc. and will probably leave wondering what the big deal is. it is a nice treat for fans to see the River in action, but I can't help but wonder if it would be wise to alter things before taking it on the road in Europe.

I can imagine Croker being FULL of groups chatting during some of the slower numbers on the album, hoping for a big hit to be dropped in.

All good points and I really hope it doesn't happen but its inevitable really. Songs I really want to see, Independence Day, Stolen Car, Drive All Night, Wreck on the Highway etc - down the back of a stadium? Theres a reason he doesn't play songs like My Hometown and Philadelphia. People get bored.

When he does his "as we go down to The River" bit at the start, a lot of people will be just expecting the song. By the time he gets to I Wanna Marry You I reckon punters will be hitting the bar!

Really, how many songs off the album does the Irish "casual" know? 4 or 5 at best?
    Also, a big Wilco fan and can't wait to see them in action for the first time. Bands at different points in their careers, though, so not entirely sure if the comparison is apt.

True but my main grief with this is that he has a solo album of new material ready to go apparently. And this "heritage" tour is getting in the way.

One of the all time great prolific writers, in the latter part of his career yet people want to hear the old stuff. Oh the humanity.

All good points and I really hope it doesn't happen but its inevitable really. Songs I really want to see, Independence Day, Stolen Car, Drive All Night, Wreck on the Highway etc - down the back of a stadium? Theres a reason he doesn't play songs like My Hometown and Philadelphia. People get bored.

When he does his "as we go down to The River" bit at the start, a lot of people will be just expecting the song. By the time he gets to I Wanna Marry You I reckon punters will be hitting the bar.

True but my main grief with this is that he has a solo album of new material ready to go apparently. And this "heritage" tour is getting in the way.

One of the all time great prolific writers, in the latter part of his career yet people want to hear the old stuff.

I think the ferocity of the first 4/5 songs should keep people interested, then Hungry Heart is well enough known that people will be excited, and then this next section may pose a problem - Crush on You, You Can Look, Marry You, etc. Slower, lesser known songs.

Ah - I get you re: Wilco now. I don't inherently have an issue with heritage tours, but yeah it can be frustrating. That said, I'd much rather Bob Dylan did a heritage tour than his new stuff - the Boss is pretty unique in that his new stuff is of such a high standard!

I hope there aren't too many people going who feel they have to "sit through" a load of songs they don't like. Not sure why they would given the prices though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

To be fair there is a big TV advertising campaign for this gig and it strongly emphasises that the river album will be played in full. This has been running for days now, and to be honest if you spend over 100 euro on a gig without even looking at the name of the tour you kind of have it coming.

Advertisement