Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying my first Hardware Synth - Setup question

Options
  • 09-02-2016 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a Korg Minilogue.

My current setup is a midi keyboard, some VSTs, Cubase 8 and a Steinberg UR 22 audio interface so am a complete hardware synth noob!

Whats the easiest way to integrate the Minilogue into my setup?
    Triggering the Minilogue with midi data from Cubase and recording the audio from the Minilogue back into Cubase.

Can i just connect the Korg via USB to my pc and set it as an external instrument in Cubase?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Beakflakes

I reckon that's an excellent choice. You can send midi notes to it and sync with it from cubase over usb midi, sure, but to get audio from the minilogue back into cubase you'll need a sound card/audio interface. A very basic one will do, but if you think that you are starting on the road of buying hardware synths then I suggest getting one with more than just 2 inputs. Also I'd buy one new (or b-stock with some kind of guarantee) rather than used for peace of mind. Issues with used ones can be hard to spot initially.

Perhaps you run a pc that has a sound card with free inputs built in?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Ravenholm

Beakflakes wrote: »
    I reckon that's an excellent choice. You can send midi notes to it and sync with it from cubase over usb midi, sure, but to get audio from the minilogue back into cubase you'll need a sound card/audio interface. A very basic one will do, but if you think that you are starting on the road of buying hardware synths then I suggest getting one with more than just 2 inputs. Also I'd buy one new (or b-stock with some kind of guarantee) rather than used for peace of mind. Issues with used ones can be hard to spot initially.

Perhaps you run a pc that has a sound card with free inputs built in?

thanks for the reply but the Steinberg UR 22 is a usb audio interface

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur22.html

Ravenholm wrote: »
    thanks for the reply but the Steinberg UR 22 is a usb audio interface

https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_interfaces/ur_series/models/ur22.html

Ha. Missed that minor detail;)

Can i just connect the Korg via USB to my pc and set it as an external instrument in Cubase?

I'm not familiar with Cubase, but if it's anything like ableton then yes, you set up an "external instrument" device on a track. This device in ableton lets you pick the midi channel this track is sending to (1-16). Set it to the same channel that your synth is listening on (In some synths this channel is defaulted to 1, but can be changed on the synth itself or by using it's virtual editor software on a pc/mac). The "external instrument" also takes the audio from your synth and feeds it into the same track, so in ableton at least, this means you can both send midi and receive audio on a single track.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

Beakflakes wrote: »
    I'd buy one new (or b-stock with some kind of guarantee) rather than used for peace of mind. Issues with used ones can be hard to spot initially.

Funny you mentioned this,
    i've always bought my studio gear 2nd hand with no issues.

The Minilogue is the first item I have bought brand new, and guess what?

When it arrived it was completely dead, wouldnt get past the tuning screen.

So ya, buying new doesnt necessarily mean you'll have less issues! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

thanks in advance.

Setup 2 tracks for the Minilogue in Cubase.

A Midi track and an audio track.

For the MIDI track you will need to set the Minilogue as the device for the MIDI Input. Over USB obviously.

For the Audio track, make sure its set as a Mono audio track, as the Minilogue only has a mono output.

Otherwise you will only hear it on the left speaker.

And you'll have to set the audio input to the port the UR-22 is connected to the Minilogue.

I find that Ableton is the the fastest and easiest one to set this up in also, its just a matter of selecting the inputs from a dropdown list on the mixer.

Doge wrote: »
    Funny you mentioned this,
    i've always bought my studio gear 2nd hand with no issues.

The Minilogue is the first item I have bought brand new, and guess what?

When it arrived it was completely dead, wouldnt get past the tuning screen.

So ya, buying new doesnt necessarily mean you'll have less issues! :P

Not had much luck with used stuff. Lots of happiness and savings with b-stock stuff under guarantee. That's just my experience.

I can't believe that about the minilogue. Terrible luck!

Advertisement