Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Window switch VW Polo

• 10-02-2016 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have an 06 polo and there seems to be an issue with the window switch. Personally i think its could be a fuse but the garage are telling me its the driver side door switch (costing €109!!!)

Basically the driver side door switch will not operate the driver OR passenger window. However the passenger side switch wont operate the passenger window either. I dont know how these switches are wired up but logic is telling me that if you have two ways of doing something and neither of them work then something central to it is broken :confused:

It would be great if someone could shed some light on it.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Please check the wiring between door and centre pillar, half way down rubber trunking/gromet... Clips off at door and pillar, wiring maybe corroded, squeeze it first then try operating controls..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you disconnect the switch and jump the connections the window should operate. You will have to try each pair unless you have a good wiring diagram.

If the window doesn't budge, the problem is somewhere in the wiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Hijpo

blackbox wrote: »
    If you disconnect the switch and jump the connections the window should operate. You will have to try each pair unless you have a good wiring diagram.

If the window doesn't budge, the problem is somewhere in the wiring.

Thanks for the replies, turns out it is in fact something else. I'm waiting to get more information on the part that's gone. it's not the switch, it's not the motors, it's not the fuse, what other components make up that system that effect both sides outside of the wiring?

Hijpo wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, turns out it is in fact something else. I'm waiting to get more information on the part that's gone. it's not the switch, it's not the motors, it's not the fuse, what other components make up that system that effect both sides outside of the wiring?

They have said that the part that needs to be replaced is the right hand window regulator. Would this effect both sides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Have you tried opening or closing the windows using the key ? when unlocking the car with the key in the door, turn the key to open and hold it (if using a fob press the open button and hold it) if the windows go down then you know the window motors and regulators are fine.

As is sounds like your garage is guessing a little, time to get a second opinion i think. The most common cause of electric windows not working would be the regulator failing and it wouldn't be unknown to have both not working at the one time.

• Advertisement

It would just make me wonder if both regulators are gone why would they only ask to replace one.

cheers for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

How much time have they taken to actually look at the car ? Sounds like a lot of guessing is going on.

Did you try it with the key ?

tossy wrote: »
    How much time have they taken to actually look at the car ? Sounds like a lot of guessing is going on.

Did you try it with the key ?

The car went in for a service a week ago and they were told the windows didn't work. They said it was a switch, it went back in 2 days later to have the switch replaced but it was the wrong switch they ordered. The car then went back in to have the correct switch fitted and they said it was this right hand regulator motor. NCT is due at the end of the month so need to get it diagnosed properly and fixed.

Tried holding the unlock button on the key and nothing happens, also tried holding the key in the unlock position in the door and same result.

Advertisement