Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romani Gypsies Street Begging

Options
  • 26-07-2015 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

There are Romani gypsies begging on the street outside my workplace every day. They're not breaking the law and they seem to be getting quite a bit of money. Normally there's just one each day but there's only one beggar at a time on the street and they therefore seem to get money from most passers by who pity their situation.

I also work with a Romanian lady who tells me how ashamed she feels when she sees Roman Gypsies begging anywhere in Ireland or Europe. She showed me a video on Youtube "Asta-i Romania - In Anglia cersesc, iar in Romania isi fac palate!"which tells a story about how Romani gypsies are sent to Ireland and the UK by wealthy ringleaders/barons living in vulgar palaces in Romania and then have the gypsies wire the money back to these people in Romania.
    (Can't attach the url coz I'm new here)

The point I'm making is if you give money to a Romani beggar the chances are you're giving money to those living in the likes of what's shown on the video from 2:56 onwards. This guy talks about sending his sons to beg on the streets in Dublin and says he feels no shame for what they bring back and how he now lives in this house/monstrosity of a building. At 5:04 you'll see an Irish reg BMW.

The video shows how the poorest gypsies in Romania are normally exploited by being trafficked to Ireland and then their purpose is to collect as much money both begging and social welfare to send back to Romania to those living in palaces (literally). The lady at 1:56 gets aggressive when a BBC reporter confronts her about how she managed to live in such a huge palace.

Bear this in mind next time you feel the need to give some spare change to a Romani gypsy beggar. I once offered our beggar a sandwich and he turned his nose up at it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Roman? With sandals and a fluffy helmet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Yeah, but they gave us the aquaduct, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 critic_12

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It was a spelling error you made your joke already.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

critic_12 wrote: »
    There are Romani gypsies begging on the street outside my workplace every day. They're not breaking the law and they seem to be getting quite a bit of money.

Im confused.Has begging been legalized? If not then they actually are breaking the law
    I also work with a Romanian lady who tells me how ashamed she feels when she sees Romani Gypsies begging anywhere in Ireland or Europe.
    Again you have me confused.Why would a Romanian lady be ashamed of something Roma gypsies are doing. Are you saying the Roma gypsies are from Romania?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

So you believe the beggars are trafficked and exploited and yet you seem to condemn them.

I would imagine begging on the street is a soul destroying activity and worse if a person is forced to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Do not give beggars money. Donate to a relevant charity instead.

Roma should not be confused with Romanians. Former are like many of our Travellers. Latter are not.

Im confused.Has begging been legalized? If not then they actually are breaking the law

Again you have me confused.Why would a Romanian lady be ashamed of something Roma gypsies are doing. Are you saying the Roma gypsies are from Romania?

This particular ethnic group Romani (which I mis spelt as Roman) are from Romania as well as being dispersed throughout Europe. The group I'm referring to and featured in the documentary are from Romania.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

welcome to boards critic_12, I can tell you are going to go far here

Now agree they are breaking the law

So you believe the beggars are trafficked and exploited and yet you seem to condemn them.

I would imagine begging on the street is a soul destroying activity and worse if a person is forced to do it.

I'm condemning those that send them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Walking up O'Connell street taking in the acrid smell of the liffey and the smell of piss while every building flashes a shadow blocking the sun from my eyes while this strange looking human being is fumbling her hands trying to get into my left jeans pocket and tugging out of me.

It's great to walk in the capital, being pulled around with a strangers hands massaging your lower body for the sign of a wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It was a spelling error you made your joke already.

It was a good one though. Still has plenty of life in it. Spare a shekel for an old ex leper?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I always greet those romas and other street parasites with a loud FCUK OFF

aujopimur wrote: »
    I always greet those romas and other street parasites with a loud FCUK OFF

Does it make you feel better about yourself?

I'd feel better if people stopped giving them money.

Regarding the illegality of street begging I thought it was okay as the occasional Garda stops by and just checks their papers (if they have any on them) and then that's it. They're back down begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Roman? With sandals and a fluffy helmet?
    Does it make you feel better about yourself?

Moderator:

This is a serious discussion forum, not After Hours. There were a few silly comments and I'd appreciate it those could stop now.

Hercule wrote: »
    welcome to boards critic_12, I can tell you are going to go far here

Thought I had a reasonable and serious enough topic here. Maybe if I was able to add the youtube video Miskyboyy posted on #13 to my original post it would have gone further.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Thought I had a reasonable and serious enough topic here. Maybe if I was able to add the youtube video Miskyboyy posted on #13 to my original post it would have gone further.
    Any discussion of this nature is seen as automatically racist and generally offensive to the sensibilities of our righteous to a fault posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 AprilPhilips

Do not give beggars money. Donate to a relevant charity instead.

Roma should not be confused with Romanians. Former are like many of our Travellers. Latter are not.
    and give it to a ceo with a big salary beggar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Many of them are, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Dr.Internet

Maybe your Romanian workmate should have a look at what her own fellow country folk are up to

independent.ie/irish-news/news/gardai-rescue-six-teenagers-from-slavery-gang-31522537.html
    Gardai rescue six teenagers from slavery gang
    Six Romanian youngsters trafficked into Ireland freed after garda raids

It's understood that the investigation has now widened into several Romanian gangs operating in the border counties.
    Edel McGinley, from the Migrant Rights Centre in Dublin, said that her organisation believed forced labour was now widespread throughout the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would you expect previous generations of Irish people in the UK to apologise for the various IRA bombings on British soil a few decades ago?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ricardo1

Maybe your Romanian workmate should have a look at what her own fellow country folk are up to

independent.ie/irish-news/news/gardai-rescue-six-teenagers-from-slavery-gang-31522537.html
    Gardai rescue six teenagers from slavery gang
    Six Romanian youngsters trafficked into Ireland freed after garda raids

It's understood that the investigation has now widened into several Romanian gangs operating in the border counties.
    Edel McGinley, from the Migrant Rights Centre in Dublin, said that her organisation believed forced labour was now widespread throughout the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJRGC8pMQU8

This is going on for years. At 28 minutes into this documentary a gypsy gang were accused of trafficking penniless gypsies to foreign countries like Ireland. Case thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I was passing by a suburban Dublin bank branch and there was a young man, 22 or so, sitting on the ground outside the bank branch begging.

The man looked to be from the Roma community.
    The young man had a cross or rosary beads draped prominently on his person.
    He looked well fed and healthy.

Any time traveller reps in Ireland are interviewed about the Roma Community and begging they make a big point of saying that begging is not a feature of Roma culture.
    I don't know why they have to keep emphasising this fact if it doesn't look to be the reality.

Back to the young man begging outside a suburban bank.
    I was left with so many questions. Is that his spot. How far does he have to travel to sit on the ground to beg for money. What a waste of potential it is for him to be doing this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

I never give money to Gypsy beggars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

imme wrote: »
    I was passing by a suburban Dublin bank branch and there was a young man, 22 or so, sitting on the ground outside the bank branch begging.

The man looked to be from the Roma community.
    The young man had a cross or rosary beads draped prominently on his person.
    He looked well fed and healthy.

Any time traveller reps in Ireland are interviewed about the Roma Community and begging they make a big point of saying that begging is not a feature of Roma culture.
    I don't know why they have to keep emphasising this fact if it doesn't look to be the reality.

Back to the young man begging outside a suburban bank.
    I was left with so many questions. Is that his spot. How far does he have to travel to sit on the ground to beg for money. What a waste of potential it is for him to be doing this.

I was going to Mullingar the other evening on the train and am almost sure I saw the person you described with another roma gypsy type person on the train, they were dressed like beggars in old clothing and one had a pink coloured plastic rosary around his neck. they both had food(sandwiches etc) in backpacks that they were eating.

The reason they stay near bank machines is the opportunities that are there because often people walk away and drop money or more leave their cards in the machine or leave money in the tray and then there is the guilt trip.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I was going to Mullingar the other evening on the train and am almost sure I saw the person you described with another roma gypsy type person on the train, they were dressed like beggars in old clothing and one had a pink coloured plastic rosary around his neck. they both had food(sandwiches etc) in backpacks that they were eating.

The reason they stay near bank machines is the opportunities that are there because often people walk away and drop money or more leave their cards in the machine or leave money in the tray and then there is the guilt trip.

Eating sandwiches ! Bàstards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod:

No more off topic posting. Please remain on topic or don't post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I have become aware lately of Roma begging in the city centre (Dublin) and suburbs.

These are young people, usually seated on the ground. They give a greeting as a way of eliciting money, often times "Happy Christmas" or something, some wear a Santa hat.

It looks like a choice in terms of making money.

These people are well dressed, neat, tidy, polite people.

It is sad to think that somebody would choose to beg like this, when they don't have to.

Advertisement