Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange printer problem

• 24-02-2009 1:34am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Evening all :)

Just a quick question. I have a printer here thats behaving oddly when asked to photocopy any document. If you do it via the panel on the printer itself, the document fails to print properly. Doing so via the PC software for the printer and its perfect.

The problem? Well, instead of printing the document in full its leaving a white gap down a section of the paper, cutting out the text that should be there.

So for a line that should read:
    Speech and Language Therapy for dependent children

It prints as:
    Speech an age Therapy for dependent children
    (note the words missing - this is where a white gap appears down the document.)

The remainder of the document prints perfectly. For some unknown reason a gap appears when asking to copy via the printer panel and not via the control panel on the PC.

Any ideas at all? I cant get my head around what would be causing this.

Its an Epson Stylus Photo R425.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

had the same problem with my epson. I just chucked it and bought a HP, the guy in the repair shop said there was nothing wrong with it, I should use orignal epson cardridges and that would solve the problem, With the specials on on printers it almost not worth buying cardridges, it's cheaper to buy a printer!! madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Go to the web site and install / reinstall the latest driver. Incorrect / missing characters are often driver-related. HTH.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

ITDept wrote: »
    Go to the web site and install / reinstall the latest driver. Incorrect / missing characters are often driver-related. HTH.

I thought about that but it wasnt my first point of call considering it prints fine when going through the software package and just acts up when going via the control panel on the printer itself.

I guess ill give it a go just to rule it out :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I would think this could be a setting issiue on the unit itself, can you go into a menu on it and revert to factory settings, and lol at the repair shop, if the compatibles work printing from the pc and not on the actual unit, its unlikely them thats the issue, if theres a setting on the printer to change the copy mode from text mode to another option such as greyscale, photo etc, this could also solve the issiue

Nick

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

yoyo wrote: »
    I would think this could be a setting issiue on the unit itself, can you go into a menu on it and revert to factory settings, and lol at the repair shop, if the compatibles work printing from the pc and not on the actual unit, its unlikely them thats the issue, if theres a setting on the printer to change the copy mode from text mode to another option such as greyscale, photo etc, this could also solve the issiue

Nick

Thanks. Ill add it to the list. I dont have the printer here, I was just asked to do someone a favour by looking at it so ill go in and have a look.

• Advertisement

Right well it turns out that the report I was given on the fault was incorrect. The Copy/Scan feature presents the document with the white strip going down the page. Printing in general without scanning/copying is fine. So the problem seems to lie with the scanner mechanism itself. Re-installed all drivers, made no difference. Everything looks fine (and works, bar the scan mechanism).

Any other suggestions? The scanner lamp lights up so unless there is something wrong with the scanner head. Its out of warranty and is in excellent condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

Sully wrote: »
    Right well it turns out that the report I was given on the fault was incorrect. The Copy/Scan feature presents the document with the white strip going down the page. Printing in general without scanning/copying is fine. So the problem seems to lie with the scanner mechanism itself. Re-installed all drivers, made no difference. Everything looks fine (and works, bar the scan mechanism).

Any other suggestions? The scanner lamp lights up so unless there is something wrong with the scanner head. Its out of warranty and is in excellent condition.

Sounds like the scanner head is damaged. perhaps the cable connecting it to the main body of the scanner unit has been broken or is loose you could try to dismantle it and have a look. Maybe some thing has fallen over the scanner head and is blocking it. A bit unlikely but you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

I had strange scanner issues on my epson, but a driver update fixed it.

If the driver fix doesn't work, then yes a hardware issue is probably at fault and you will have to return it e.gif

Adder1 wrote: »
    Sounds like the scanner head is damaged. perhaps the cable connecting it to the main body of the scanner unit has been broken or is loose you could try to dismantle it and have a look. Maybe some thing has fallen over the scanner head and is blocking it. A bit unlikely but you never know

Its in perfect condition and wouldn't have been used a lot. Like new! Rather odd its gone, but I guess these things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

Sully wrote: »
    Its in perfect condition and wouldn't have been used a lot. Like new! Rather odd its gone, but I guess these things happen.

just to clarify I mean the internal cable connecting the scanner head. My epson rx620 gave some problems at one stage seeing it was out of warranty I opened it and the problem was that the white strip just under the spot where the scanner head parks was discoloured as the scanner used this to calibrate it self it caused an error and would not scan when doing this i notice the cable connecting the head and it is possible with movement this may have become dislodged or damaged it is worth a look at any rate

• Advertisement

Adder1 wrote: »
    just to clarify I mean the internal cable connecting the scanner head. My epson rx620 gave some problems at one stage seeing it was out of warranty I opened it and the problem was that the white strip just under the spot where the scanner head parks was discoloured as the scanner used this to calibrate it self it caused an error and would not scan when doing this i notice the cable connecting the head and it is possible with movement this may have become dislodged or damaged it is worth a look at any rate

Ya I knew what you meant. Iv advised her to bring it back to Epson, who after speaking with me said they will repair it for a small fee. Im not opening it to make it worse ;)

Advertisement