Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marmac XL 120

Options
  • 16-11-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Ok I just got told off for posting on an old thread about Marmac amps so hopefully I am in the right place this time---have not been on boards here for ages so I must have forgotten the rules and that appears to be one of them. I just wondered if anyone has any info on the Marmac amps from the late 60s and 70s that were so popular back then. They were often used with a Binson Echo connected via send /return on the front and as far as i know the Pa version was the Xl 120. Theres still a few of them knockin around but they seem to be pretty rare and i was curious to know if anyone still owns one. They were made in a factory in Sligo and were much sought after by bands in Ireland and I also saw them used in the Uk . Any info appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rusty
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinyvamos

And I bet I get busted now for digging up an old thread that was never answered :-P.

I have recently acquired two Marmac XL120 PA heads. One is for rebuild into a 2-channel guitar head for a friend and the other I hope to rebuild into a bass head for my own studio. If you are still looking for info, especially technical-wise, I will be drawing schematics in the coming months and can pass them onto you if they are of any use.

They look to be very well-built with heavy transformers so I expect pretty good results when I finally fire them up! Similar to the way the old HiWatts were built...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭zafo

I know of two of them around. One's an XL 60 and not sure on the other but it's being used by a mate as a guitar amp.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Well-made valve amps in the style of Orange/HiWatt -ish!! The main issue I have with the guitar amps is that they have an IC input/EQ? stage - total meh. I'd buy one with a view towards ripping all of that solid state stuff out and putting some real valve electronics in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinyvamos

Yes very much Hi-Watt build style inside and I bet when I manage to draw the Schematics a lot of things will match up :-). Yea the one I own myself is a later XL120 with solid-state PCB mixer pre-amp and it sounds awful when overdriven (as you'd expect!). There's plenty of room in there for a row of 12AX7's for a pre-amp so that would be my intention once I get the time. Gotta test it with new and matched O/P valves first as the ones that are in it look as old as the amp itself! :-P

As for the XL120 that I am rebuilding for someone else, it is all-valve so not as difficult to mod into a guitar amp. I hope to run it either with only 2 O/P valves to achieve O/P overdrive at non-ear-bleeding volumes or fit a "triode-pentode" switch...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Was the PA head used by showbands as a vocal PA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seanvox

If anyone has any technical info/schematics for this I would be grateful to receive a copy!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭iamnotme

I played guitar thru an old Marmac back in the 80s. With MXR distortion pedal. I knew a guy then that was connected with Marmac, I'll sus him out next time i'm in Sligo, can't promise.

Advertisement