Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year Goals

Options
  • 26-08-2013 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Right, with TY just around the corner for most us, i'm posting this so I can see my TY progress! :)

A lot of people, especially my family, think TY is a doss year where you do nothing, realisticly, it is a doss year where you "learn nothing useful towards the Leaving Cert." I think that is not the case for some people whom are passionate. Honestly, i've decided to do TY so I can work on other areas besides my academic ability in school. I also decided to do it so I can prove all my friends and family wrong. They think i'm really out of my head for doing TY.

Over the course of the year, i'm going to try to complete the following tasks;

-> Learn how to program using any language.
    -> Make a simple app using my programming skills.
    -> Improve my Lithuanian writing and speaking skills.
    -> Read 44 books. 3/44
    -> Decide what college course I want.
    -> Start an awesome blog.
    -> Get some sort of a part-time job.
    -> Improve public speaking.
    -> Turn the student council into a dictatorship ;).

I will most likely cross some things out and add new things to the list, but we'll see.

I'll update this post as I make progress. :D

Does anyone else have anything they want to accomplish this year? ;)

Stay on topic please! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭CookieCat97

I'm the exact same as you! I want to develop areas of my life that aren't necessarily academically natured!Nice list of things btw :D I really want this year to make a positive difference to my life (I know it sounds sappy :P) So here's my goals:
    To read 39 books (inspired by your goal ;)) 8/39
    To improve my movie knowledge (YAY!)
    To keep up my language skills (french and irish)
    To make a club for primary school kids in the area improve at irish
    To volunteer in the school library
    Join the schools council
    Defeat my fear of public speaking
    Make new friends
    Figure out what Job I want to have when I'm older
    Join the basketball, badminton and gaelic sports team from school
    Rejoin the local table-tennis club and help out with the younger clubs' night (I quit with the Junior cert last year, I regret it :0)
    Try to get a babysitting job (I LOVE KIDS)
    Continue learning sign Language
    Start and finish a new TV series
    I know I have a lot of things on my future plate but if I even do some of them I would be super happy :D

ohhh! Also I forgot, to use boards.ie more ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm the exact same as you! I want to develop areas of my life that aren't necessarily academically natured!Nice list of things btw :D I really want this year to make a positive difference to my life (I know it sounds sappy :P) So here's my goals:
    To read 39 books (inspired by your goal ;)) 8/39
    To improve my movie knowledge (YAY!)
    To keep up my language skills (french and irish)
    To make a club for primary school kids in the area improve at irish
    To volunteer in the school library
    Join the schools council
    Defeat my fear of public speaking
    Make new friends
    Figure out what Job I want to have when I'm older
    Join the basketball, badminton and gaelic sports team from school
    Rejoin the local table-tennis club and help out with the younger clubs' night (I quit with the Junior cert last year, I regret it :0)
    Try to get a babysitting job (I LOVE KIDS)
    Continue learning sign Language
    Start and finish a new TV series
    I know I have a lot of things on my future plate but if I even do some of them I would be super happy :D
    Hehe, this will be fun :).

what kind of books do you like reading?

what kind of books do you like reading?
    Sad, horror and post-apoc. A good example is "The Fifth Wave".

• Advertisement

Sad, horror and post-apoc. A good example is "The Fifth Wave".
    I've heard of that! I absolutely love fantasys and mysteries :) I've never read horror before :eek: an addition to my to-do list me thinks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Right, with TY just around the corner for most us, i'm posting this so I can see my TY progress! :)

A lot of people, especially my family, think TY is a doss year where you do nothing, realisticly, it is a doss year where you "learn nothing useful towards the Leaving Cert." I think that is not the case for some people whom are passionate. Honestly, i've decided to do TY so I can work on other areas besides my academic ability in school. I also decided to do it so I can prove all my friends and family wrong. They think i'm really out of my head for doing TY.

Over the course of the year, i'm going to try to complete the following tasks;

-> Learn how to program using any language.
    -> Make a simple app using my programming skills.
    -> Improve my Lithuanian writing and speaking skills.
    -> Read 44 books. 3/44
    -> Decide what college course I want.
    -> Start an awesome blog.
    -> Get some sort of a part-time job.
    -> Improve public speaking.
    -> Turn the student council into a dictatorship ;).

I will most likely cross some things out and add new things to the list, but we'll see.

I'll update this post as I make progress. :D

Does anyone else have anything they want to accomplish this year? ;)

Stay on topic please! :pac:

I know this thread is a bit old but was just wondering how these goals turned out in the end. Did u manage to learn a programming language and did you get a part time job. just asking cuz i was making a goal list and i noticed it was quite similiar to yours:D

I know this thread is a bit old but was just wondering how these goals turned out in the end. Did u manage to learn a programming language and did you get a part time job. just asking cuz i was making a goal list and i noticed it was quite similiar to yours:D

Ah, I was naive when I started this list. TY got very busy with all sorts of competitions and the sort.

I've managed to read A LOT of books which is a huge plus. I can code very basic on Processing, Ardiuno (they're both like almost identical) and HTML5. I've made my own version of Flappy Birds when that was popular back in the day, but never released it or anything - requires different code unfortunately.

I've started a diary thing, instead of a blog. Sometimes it helps a lot if I review my day and see how things have gone, and plan for the next day. This has been going well, but not very necessary.

Overall, I love public speaking. I'd take every opportunity there is to talk infront of a group, and I've learnt not to care what others think. This is hugely thanks to a lot of activities we took-part in TY, which is awesome.

I'm now Joint-President of the student council, so my regime is starting this year ;););)

You're going to be TOO BUSY to update a list on boards.ie, I made that mistake by declaring one and forgetting :o

Ah, I was naive when I started this list. TY got very busy with all sorts of competitions and the sort.

I've managed to read A LOT of books which is a huge plus. I can code very basic on Processing, Ardiuno (they're both like almost identical) and HTML5. I've made my own version of Flappy Birds when that was popular back in the day, but never released it or anything - requires different code unfortunately.

I've started a diary thing, instead of a blog. Sometimes it helps a lot if I review my day and see how things have gone, and plan for the next day. This has been going well, but not very necessary.

Overall, I love public speaking. I'd take every opportunity there is to talk infront of a group, and I've learnt not to care what others think. This is hugely thanks to a lot of activities we took-part in TY, which is awesome.

I'm now Joint-President of the student council, so my regime is starting this year ;););)

You're going to be TOO BUSY to update a list on boards.ie, I made that mistake by declaring one and forgetting :o

Yeah same is happening for me. In TY your just so busy. Did u have any luck with getting a part time job because I'm starting to look around for something small I could maybe do on weekends or on holidays

Yeah same is happening for me. In TY your just so busy. Did u have any luck with getting a part time job because I'm starting to look around for something small I could maybe do on weekends or on holidays

I actually worked at this catering firm for like two weeks before school started. They wouldn't keep me for insurance reasons, so I think it'll be hard to get anything at this age.

Unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I actually worked at this catering firm for like two weeks before school started. They wouldn't keep me for insurance reasons, so I think it'll be hard to get anything at this age.

Unfortunately.

Yeah whenever I ask about the possibility people always reply that it would be difficult due to insurance, wages and hours issue. So i guess i'll just wait till i'm a bit older

Advertisement