Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law Firm Milk Rounds 2011

Options
  • 01-11-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

So anyone who's been around a while might be aware that most of the major firms closing dates for applications has come and gone.

I understand people might be reluctant to share details but thought it might be handy to have somewhere to post innocuous details such as interview and application timeframes, issues, opinions etc

Two things that got me this year re applications:

MOPs looking for JC results? I thought this was a bit strange and wonder whether it's a legitimate interest in educational progression or a way of stopping last minute applications or those too disorganized/disinterested to bother.

William Frys looking for written references. This I was a bit surprised at and very much put me off. I would have no problem getting anyone who employed me to write a positive reference and have in the past but does this precipitate a race to the bottom? I mean if all the top firms started requesting this, would a generic letter enough or do I have to go to my boss and ask them to sign/write 5-10 individual references?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

32minutes wrote: »
    So anyone who's been around a while might be aware that most of the major firms closing dates for applications has come and gone.

I understand people might be reluctant to share details but thought it might be handy to have somewhere to post innocuous details such as interview and application timeframes, issues, opinions etc

Two things that got me this year re applications:

MOPs looking for JC results? I thought this was a bit strange and wonder whether it's a legitimate interest in educational progression or a way of stopping last minute applications or those too disorganized/disinterested to bother.

William Frys looking for written references. This I was a bit surprised at and very much put me off. I would have no problem getting anyone who employed me to write a positive reference and have in the past but does this precipitate a race to the bottom? I mean if all the top firms started requesting this, would a generic letter enough or do I have to go to my boss and ask them to sign/write 5-10 individual references?

i doubt MOPS asking for jc results was a way of stopping last minute applications, it takes ten mins to fill in! im guessing its just another way of narrowing down the gigantic amount of applicants!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

sazzyfiz wrote: »
    i doubt MOPS asking for jc results was a way of stopping last minute applications, it takes ten mins to fill in! im guessing its just another way of narrowing down the gigantic amount of applicants!

MOPS were looking for the number of times candidates had resat the FE1s, now that is a scary way of culling the competition! Other firms that asked for results included McCann Fitzgerald, and Dillon Eustace. The "easiest" application was for Arthur Cox. I just completed the application forms there, and already they are a distant memory;)

OOps just looked over my Dillon Eustace form there, they didn't ask for the exact FE1 results, just if you had sat any? Told y'all the forms had become a distant memory;)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

colonel1 wrote: »
    MOPS were looking for the number of times candidates had resat the FE1s, now that is a scary way of culling the competition! Other firms that asked for results included McCann Fitzgerald, and Dillon Eustace. The "easiest" application was for Arthur Cox. I just completed the application forms there, and already they are a distant memory;)

Yeah MOPs framed it in a very broad way, there was definitely no way of getting around full disclosure there.

At least McCanns and DH didn't ask for JC though, just LC, which seems fair enough. I didn't have my JC to hand so had to order off the exams commission, 12e plus a weeks wait, maybe that's why I thought it was a bit more onerous than others.

MOPs arguably had the best online app in terms of presentation, ease of use. Byrne Wallace was pretty good too.

Just waiting for all those interview invitations to roll in now, hope the the telephone lines don't get too jammed up...

Yeah MOPs framed it in a very broad way, there was definitely no way of getting around full disclosure there.

At least McCanns and DH didn't ask for JC though, just LC, which seems fair enough. I didn't have my JC to hand so had to order off the exams commission, 12e plus a weeks wait, maybe that's why I thought it was a bit more onerous than others.

MOPs arguably had the best online app in terms of presentation, ease of use. Byrne Wallace was pretty good too.

Just waiting for all those interview invitations to roll in now, hope the the telephone lines don't get too jammed up...

Lol:D JC, wow, am glad I didn't get asked about that. It is bad enough having to give CAO points. I loved everything about Byrne Wallace. I really hope I hear from them:D I didn't do A & L or Eversheds or Maples. Lk Shields had a good application form also, but didn't get anywhere with then:(

Lol:D JC, wow, am glad I didn't get asked about that. It is bad enough having to give CAO points. I loved everything about Byrne Wallace. I really hope I hear from them:D I didn't do A & L or Eversheds or Maples. Lk Shields had a good application form also, but didn't get anywhere with then:(

the Byrne Wallace open evening did a good job of making the firm look attractive, definitely a positive

• Advertisement

the Byrne Wallace open evening did a good job of making the firm look attractive, definitely a positive

Oh yes, it looked amazing:D Lots of very glamorous looking people around. The food was fab too. Did you try the vegetable samosas? I would have eaten the lot;) I was impressed that they went to so much effort. None of the other firms did as far as I know.

Oh yes, it looked amazing:D Lots of very glamorous looking people around. The food was fab too. Did you try the vegetable samosas? I would have eaten the lot;) I was impressed that they went to so much effort. None of the other firms did as far as I know.

that made me laugh about the samosas! does anyone know when the FE1 results will be out? early December? i hate the waiting game!

that made me laugh about the samosas! does anyone know when the FE1 results will be out? early December? i hate the waiting game!

they were delicious sazzyfiz, I joke not:D These little details about a firm are important. Of course they are very keen to hire the best, but I was impressed with any of the people I spoke to who were both practical and approachable.

FE1 results usually take a minimum of 6 weeks to come out, and they were posted on line (they also send you an official results letter in the post as well) for the last sitting (which was handy). I would say the end of November or 1st week in December. The prep schools are starting off next week (well Griffith started this week I believe) so I have just signed on for tort and constitutional (yeuch).

they were delicious sazzyfiz, I joke not:D These little details about a firm are important. Of course they are very keen to hire the best, but I was impressed with any of the people I spoke to who were both practical and approachable.

FE1 results usually take a minimum of 6 weeks to come out, and they were posted on line (they also send you an official results letter in the post as well) for the last sitting (which was handy). I would say the end of November or 1st week in December. The prep schools are starting off next week (well Griffith started this week I believe) so I have just signed on for tort and constitutional (yeuch).

im hoping il only have criminal and constitutional left after this sitting! fingers crossed!:D

im hoping il only have criminal and constitutional left after this sitting! fingers crossed!:D

Lucky creature! I will have tort, constitutional and EU:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

MOP Phone interview offers are out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xx29xx

I knew about MOPs but is there anything else out yet, does anyone know?

does anyone know how many people get phone interviewed???

xx29xx wrote: »
    I knew about MOPs but is there anything else out yet, does anyone know?

only one out so far are lk shields but that was last month! got confirmation from arthur cox today saying they received my application and will be in touch soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xx29xx

Thanks, just have to wait it out now I suppose. Not sure about MOPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Arthur cox have sent out group interview invitations

Any idea if the interviews are done alphabetical. Have AC's been sent out like do u no ppl doing the interviews?

wez99950 wrote: »

oh really? i literally just got my confirmation letter today!! im hoping to get a group interview cause i had one for the summer internship! does anyone know what they ask you in the mops phone interview?? never done one before....a bit nervous about it!:eek:

Any idea if the interviews are done alphabetical. Have AC's been sent out like do u no ppl doing the interviews?

the group one i did for AC this summer was definitely not in alphabetical order.....not too sure about mops! just heard mops get around 800 applications and 200 get the phone interview....two more interviews after that and i think they take on around 30 trainees depending on the number of summer interns being offered a training contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

oh really? i literally just got my confirmation letter today!! im hoping to get a group interview cause i had one for the summer internship! does anyone know what they ask you in the mops phone interview?? never done one before....a bit nervous about it!:eek:

Yea they were fairly quick off the mark! Got the invite today.
    What was the interview like for the summer internship? Have never done a group interview before so no idea what to expect!

• Advertisement

Yea they were fairly quick off the mark! Got the invite today.
    What was the interview like for the summer internship? Have never done a group interview before so no idea what to expect!

im living in the north so hopefully my post is just delay...haha do u mind me asking when u received ur confirmation letter?

interview was grand - group of ten with a 3 person panel. no individual questions they just give you topical issues to discuss amongst yourselves and they listen. just like having a mini debate!

Sorry meant about MOP, are they done alphabetical, they dont give much info on site, wonder what their q's are like!

Sorry meant about MOP, are they done alphabetical, they dont give much info on site, wonder what their q's are like!

have you done it before? i presume its just general questions, they cant go into too much detail on a phone interview, think its only ten mins long! wish they just gave us an actual time!!

Yep did it last time and they left me waiting till the last day after office hours nearly killed me!Didn't go any further and cant really remember the q's but they were general interview style

Got Arthur Cox confirmation of application over a week ago, had the applications in very early which might be the reason, haven't heard anything re group interview.

MOPs PFO out today aswell, looks like they went for a shock and awe approach, everything out all in one day

What do u mean a 'shock and awe' approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

Guys, what are the phone interviews like??

What do u mean a 'shock and awe' approach?

Well I find most firms tend to have an unintentional staggered effect between application deadline, PFOs and interview calls.

But some (like MOPs here) get all their ducks in a row and sorted out the PFOS and interviews all in one go. It's a better way IMO as you don't have confusion and people not knowing about the success of their application. Plus I was just being facetious.

just checked my cox confirmation letter...says it was sent on the 28th of oct but i only received it on the 3rd of nov...

does anyone know when the group interviews are?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 parripassu

Does anyone have an example of questions they can ask? Also will the phone call be made during office hours?
    Also can people confirm if they have received group interview letters from Arthur Cox or is it just confirmation of their application?

Thanks!

Advertisement