Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternative cheap hydralic oil for field use road car steering in the field

• 13-05-2015 6:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭

I got an old heavy Toyoto car for driving and pulling trailer around the feilds where I work
    .Problem is its leaking hydraulic oil from the power steering rack .That oil is not cheap .
    I dont want to buy new steering rack and it big job to take out the steering rack and expensive to get reconditioned

I tried the stop leak stuff but no luck it slowed the leak a bit

I dont want to drain the oil and drive with no power assist as the roads in the fields even doing 20MPH are bumpy and the steerring with heavy trailer would be heavy so prefer to keep the power steering even with the present cost of the leak

Can i use another oil for it like olive oil or lubrication oil or thicken up the hydraulic oil to stop the leak using so much hydraulic oil.

I was going to try some olive oil mixed into the hydraulic to try to thicken the oil but worried in case the power pump might not like the thicker oil ..

So thought I would ask here before I do the experiment .

Figured the old hands on Farms know a few tricks

Jed

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Field car? I'll presume it's on borrowed time anyway.
    As such anything will do, universal will be grand for the bit of pottering about you'll be doing.

Even old engine oil will keep it tipping along, as long as its relatively clean. ie no grit or lumps of shíte in it.

Keep the olive oil for your salads though, that would work out pretty expensive!

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

I hope you don't drive on public roads between the fields. ..leaking oil is a major hazard, especially to motorcycles.
    Pay up and fix it properly or just scrap it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

Will you go away and scrap the car ffs and buy another car for field use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

I hope you don't drive on public roads between the fields. ..leaking oil is a major hazard, especially to motorcycles.
    Pay up and fix it properly or just scrap it.

I think your missing his point. Two key things are its not used on public roads and he is not paying to get it fixed.

Any clean thinish oil will do for the moment, fo all the miles you will cover :rolleyes:

No joke, but a firend of mine drove a fiat ritmo diesel on short trips for a year with vegtable oil in the engine!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If its leaking much, would you try gear oil?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If its leaking much, would you try gear oil?

Yeah the trouble is the oil for steering racks is the same as automatic gear box oil cost more than €10 a liter
    Normal gear box oil isnt so cheap either but will look at it based on info here .

For the others car doesn't leave the fields to go roads it missing all its doors and seats except for driver seat .
    Its just cheaper than 1970s land rover it replaced . If the costs are too high for replacement steering rack cheaper to buy another old wreck to pull trailer across Fields.
    Today used 300cc of automatic gear box oil to do about five miles of back and forth stuff at 20MPH average I calculate that cost about €3 in oil .Some days more some less but too expensive

Normal lubrication oil would have cost me lot less more like €0.30cents .
    I know another farmer with at least 200 liters of old lubrication oil so might buy him a beer and take the scrap oil off him .if that oil doesnt work well I know the old type diesel engines run on that lubrication oil stuff neat
    however its very smoky
    It seems is better to mix mostly diesel with a little lubrication oil if I want to use it for running diesel engines .

I heard one guy in darkest Africa broke his gear box .He fixed the gearbox but had no oil . So he stuffed the gearbox with bananas as that makes vegetable oil and continued on his way .

Lots of old tricks out there hard to know which ones are true so best to ask around

Thanks for tip guys off to try the lubrication oils first

Jed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would leaking that much oil damage the crops you are growing? Not a good idea to have oily grass or grain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Suckler

I heard one guy in darkest Africa broke his gear box .He fixed the gearbox but had no oil . So he stuffed the gearbox with bananas as that makes vegetable oil and continued on his way .

Pub stories are always the best stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Let's not personal please - Mod

The bananas in the gearbox story is a old as the hills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Is their not an environmental issue regards leaking hydraulic oil all over the place

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 118 ✭✭browniepoints

whupdedo wrote: »
    Is their not an environmental issue regards leaking hydraulic oil all over the place

maybe thats why I was hoping that natural veggie oil would work but seems it is too thick to use .

Oil seeps out out of the ocean floors naturally and the bugs in the oceans have adapted over millions of years to eat it and live from it .

A few small drops of oil spread across the tracks between fields as the trailer carries the highly toxic with skull and cross bones pestiside in the 1000 liter tank and me wearing special gear to protect me from the herbicide material is interesting contrast .

The bit that I can never figure its mandatory to spray the crops just before harvest so the crops arrive to peoples homes with lots of the poison herbicide on it and some people worry and get into tizzy about a few drops of oil spread across 500 acres when they eat food laced with toxins .

You want to see how much oil leaks from the farm machines I worked with in many farms . Some of the worst offenders for leaks are the newwer machines they just dont make tractors and harvesters like they used to .

Ralf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Waste chip oil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Mix some diesel with the veg oil it might thin it out a bit

What about waste engine oil that be thin enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

http://cars.donedeal.ie/view/9366805

Cheaper than your oil for 6 months and it will keep ya dry between the fields!

No log book with it, probably stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

No log book with it, probably stolen.

Quick call to the guards will put your mind at ease and a log book is very easy to get, all it takes is a phone call and a signature on a declaration

Advertisement