Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2015-16

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Slideways wrote: »
    I
    IMO, it is very short sighted and if the government believe having other countries allowed access will somehow boost the economy they are sadly mistaken. However much Paddy will try and bring out of the country wont have a look in with the poorer Asian nations

You are assuming that all of poor Asian countries have poor citizens and no middle class? Pretty ignorant.

For a 462 visa countries like Argentina, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Turkey, Malaysia, Poland, Portugal, Spain or Uruguay, you must hold a tertiary qualification or have satisfactorily completed at least two years of undergraduate university study.

If they can afford university and maybe can afford the $5000 then nothing to stop coming on a WHV and its likely they are better educated than some of the rubbish we have been sending out.

India has a huge IT sector and not everyone there is poor, you only look at the 457 and PR grants and both India & China are at the top of the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

Aw well, I'm sitting in the office on my 417 beside a citizen, 457 holder and someone on PR. Everyone here adheres to the 18.2k allowance and same tax % brackets. But yeah, you said nope so ok.

I've been all of the above and Magpie is right. I nearly got screwed hard when I did my tax the first time because of the % difference. My employer taxed me as a resident. Problem is under Aussie law it's not their problem they didn't pay the right tax it's yours.

Anyway, enough with the WHV stuff. The Budget is a little more than just that.

http://www.budget.gov.au/ have a read. I'm still going through it at the moment but as a person who is in a childless relationship I'll probably lose out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Aw well, I'm sitting in the office on my 417 beside a citizen, 457 holder and someone on PR. Everyone here adheres to the 18.2k allowance and same tax % brackets. But yeah, you said nope so ok.
    Right now its the same, but that's not going to be the case anymore.
    I'm not sure if you being awkward to troll, or you just can't grasp that future changes have been announced.
    I've been all of the above and Magpie is right. I nearly got screwed hard when I did my tax the first time because of the % difference. My employer taxed me as a resident. Problem is under Aussie law it's not their problem they didn't pay the right tax it's yours.
    I've been all of the above too. And while it was the case, it no longer will be.

FWIW It makes no difference whether your employer withholds tax based on resident or non-resident. It goes by your tax return.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Legend100 wrote: »
    No tax free threshold for anyone on a WHV from 1 July 2016......that could really put people off coming out on a 417 given that a large proportion of jobs people do on a WHV are low paid.
    Maybe
    But this is the one thing that will not personally affect voting Australians & that's who Tony & Joe are trying to keep happy.
    A much bigger money spinner would be dropping negative gearing but pretty much all of parliament & quite the number of ordinary Aussies are landlords these days so that wouldn't swing well at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GladWrap

The changes were a long time coming. They were going to slash the number of visas issued but intense lobbying swayed the government to eliminate the threshold instead.

Good decision.

In terms of this:
    Problem is under Aussie law it's not their problem they didn't pay the right tax it's yours.

And under that same law you have the right to have your return reviewed and corrected should you find an anomaly. At the end of the day it's your responsibility to check your return before submission and if you don't understand what your accountant is doing, to ask. It's not hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,145 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mellor wrote: »
    That's what it boils down to for me.
    The outcome of this measure by the ATO . . .
    This is not a measure by the ATO. It's been announced in the Federal budget.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This is not a measure by the ATO. It's been announced in the Federal budget.
    Yeah, I know it came from the budget. Technically I should have said the Department of the Treasury, of which ATO is an office. But I was lazy and were for the cheap acronyms. :p

Yeah, I know it came from the budget. Technically I should have said the Department of the Treasury, of which ATO is an office. But I was lazy and were for the cheap acronyms. :p
    Technically you should have said the Cabinet. Treasury provides the know-how and technical support for the budgetary process, but policy decisions (like this) are for the Cabinet, not the Treasurer. And the ATO is substantially distanced from these policy decisions.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    ...but policy decisions (like this) are for the Cabinet, not the Treasurer.
    Really?
    I thought (incorrectly) that the senior ministers, made submissions for funding and advised on various issues, but the control of the final document rested with the PM and treasurer. You way makes more sense tbf

The Cabinet gets to say Yay or Nay. Of course, by the time it gets to Cabinet, it has already been agreed between the Treasurer and the PM, so there would have to be a real groundswell against it in Cabinet to stop it at that point. (Though, with Abbott positioned as he currently is, now is the kind of time such a thing might happen.)

The point is, though, it's a long way from the kind of decisions that do actually get taken at ATO level. There are decisions that can reasonably be called ATO decisions; this isn't one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The cost of citizenship and other visas are likely to go up as well.

jank wrote: »
    The cost of citizenship and other visas are likely to go up as well.

Yeah I seen citizenship will move to full cost recovery. Anybody know what that means in $$$'s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

Seems to be going full circle from the days 457ers were coining it on the living away from home allowance!

Can't see too many Aussies fruit picking!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭ObeyTheSuit

GladWrap wrote: »
    And under that same law you have the right to have your return reviewed and corrected should you find an anomaly. At the end of the day it's your responsibility to check your return before submission and if you don't understand what your accountant is doing, to ask. It's not hard.

Of course you have the right to review. The problem wasn't the tax return.
    The problem was my employer on a WHV paid the norm rate of tax for a resident where I was expected to pay at a higher tax bracket (at the time I didn't know this). So when I had an accountant do my tax return it showed up that I owed a lot more money that I was completely unaware of. Does that make more sense? My point is that when employed on a WHV that you should pay extra attention to your pay slip to ensure this does not happen to you. I got out of it in the end but it wasn't a nice thing to find out after year one.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

That's PAYG. That's not the only tax implication. Depending upon your status (PR/Citizen/Visa holder) you are entitled to claim tax back on different things. Also, there are tax implications if you own property in a different country and are a citizen or hold PR.

So yes, there are different taxes for different statuses.

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Depending upon your status (PR/Citizen/Visa holder) you are entitled to claim tax back on different things.
    Like what?

(im aware you can claim expenses, i'm asking about specifically what you can claim differently on PR/Citizen/Visa holder)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Like what?

(im aware you can claim expenses, i'm asking about specifically what you can claim differently on PR/Citizen/Visa holder)

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/ind/rental-properties---claiming-travel-expenses-deductions/?page=6

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Lots of back packing jobs are off the books so I'd imagine WHV holders will be trying even harder to find cash only work. pretty easy in hospo and construction anyway

Advertisement