Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things about Australia you don't like/hate

Options
  • 04-05-2015 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

After you've been served in a cafe/shop or whatever and they ask you "is there anything else?"
    NO OF COURSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE, YOU AUSTRALAN FUKCWIT! I JUST TOLD YOU WHAT I WANTED AND YOU GAVE IT TO ME. IF I WANTED ANYTHING ELSE I'D FUKCING ASK FOR IT DINGUS! But you cant say this so I usually politely say "no thanks"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

You sound like an angry little man

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

slow day in the office MATE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

s20101938 wrote: »
    After you've been served in a cafe/shop or whatever and they ask you "is there anything else?"
    NO OF COURSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE, YOU AUSTRALAN FUKCWIT! I JUST TOLD YOU WHAT I WANTED AND YOU GAVE IT TO ME. IF I WANTED ANYTHING ELSE I'D FUKCING ASK FOR IT DINGUS! But you cant say this so I usually politely say "no thanks"

It's called customer service, and an up-sell opportunity, about 10% of the time there will be something else they can help with.

I don't mean to be pedantic, but what is an
    AUSTRALAN FUKCWIT
    ? Is it similar to an ignorant intolerant clown who can't be bothered to learn how to spell the country that they are in ?

It's about a 50/50 that they are even Aussie if they are working in retail or hospitality. But don't let the truth get in the way of sh1t story.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Probably one of my biggest irks about Australia is Irish people that arrive and refuse to even attempt to integrate into society. And just stick out their one or two years on a WHV or a few more on a 457 or education visa bitching and moaning about everything being different from 'back home'.

And the same crowd getting pissed up and starting fights / causing hassle on the streets and in pubs clubs.

I'm more tuned to being pissed of at Irish people like this because I'm Irish. However, I'm ashamed to be Irish more often recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Probably one of my biggest irks about Australia is Irish people that arrive and refuse to even attempt to integrate into society. And just stick out their one or two years on a WHV or a few more on a 457 or education visa bitching and moaning about everything being different from 'back home'.

And the same crowd getting pissed up and starting fights / causing hassle on the streets and in pubs clubs.

I'm more tuned to being pissed of at Irish people like this because I'm Irish. However, I'm ashamed to be Irish more often recently.

+1 on this big time, don't understand why you would travel halfway around the world to spend all weekend , every weekend like cesspits like the Cock n Bull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

+1 on this big time, don't understand why you would travel halfway around the world to spend all weekend , every weekend like cesspits like the Cock n Bull

i think it's understandable given its econmic needs that australia attracts a largely unrefined group of irish people. the fact that they speak english and the sheer volume of the irish population in australia gives these sort of people the confidence to act as disrespectfully as they do. it's no great surprise. and then we get offended by 'NINA' reports. unbelievable.

I don't mind kids on a WHV not integrating, I don't even mind if they have a whinge about how different it all is.
    They are here for a good time, not a long time, and they will get out of their WHV exactly what they put into it. I was in that position once, and I didn't integrate at all for the first year, and would have been guilty of a few moans now and again, then I started to look at what the Aussies do and how they live, instead of how me and my mates carried on, and things changed considerably. Year two and three months on a farm helped me put it all in perspective.

As for getting pissed up and starting fights, there should be an option for a one way trip to the airport IMHO in the case of serial offenders. I've got no time for it at all. It's far too easy for grown adults to do each other permanent injuries by scrapping in pubs. It's ridiculous carry on, here or back in Ireland. The difference being, they don't have to put up with it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

The only Irish who attempt to integrate are Eire-loathing Oz-worshipping globo-paddies who take the many Aussie subtle put downs and snubs as "only a bit of banter, mate", and who for some bizarre reason think its the greatest country on earth even though they are easily the most passive aggressive people on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

The only Irish who attempt to integrate are Eire-loathing Oz-worshipping globo-paddies who take the many Aussie subtle put downs and snubs as "only a bit of banter, mate", and who for some bizarre reason think its the greatest country on earth even though they are easily the most passive aggressive people on the planet.

It's hard to tell if you actually hate Irish people who are happy in Australia or Australians more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

+1

Yep I been saying this on here for years, if you don't like things like the service, strict laws and tough immigration rules then Australia might not be the place for you. It's different but no necessarily in a bad way.

I heard a good example on Joe Duffy the other week where this family went on a holiday to Melbourne and got caught putting their feet on seats of the tram, according to the lady they were threatened with an $1800 fine. She was so shocked she said it nearly ruined their holiday, amazingly this lady thought theres no harm in putting her feet on the seats as she would at home but according to Joe Duffy the same rules apply on the DART in Dublin but not surprising only one person was fined in a year. There's a very lax attitude back home to this type of thing which is where the problem stems, not here.

IMO for some reason too many Irish people walking around with a stack of chips on their shoulder these days hoping to get them knocked off. You often see it in people's posts on here.

• Advertisement

As fine an example of Fuckwittery as I've ever seen.

For what it's worth, unlike the years of "the sneer" begrudgery and backbiting I witnessed in Irish society, there is little to no "subtlety" about a put-down or snub from an Aussie, should you ever receive a genuine one, you will know that you've been Tando'ed. Meantime, give as good as you get and you'll get over it very quickly and see it for what it is.
    I'm not sure about Oz-worshipping, never seen it myself.
    As for Globo-paddies, How anyone can see that as being a bad thing compared to say a parochial stool pigeon paddy, is just beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

You sound like a typical Oz-worshipping paddy, who takes abuse and insults from Aussies all hidden in "jokes" and "laughs them off" because you haven't the self respect to stand up to the uncooth buffoons. You came over on the WHV and think you are "one of them", but you will never be. It wasn't too long ago that stupid Irishman jokes were standard fare in the pub, and that attitude to us largely prevails. But don't let that get in the way of your chosen new identity. Now go hang out with your dikchead poser new mates and enjoy your inane banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 garimakaushikk

Like: freedom
    Hate: Racism

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

corglass wrote: »
    You sound like an angry little man

If you've got 5 minutes you should read the OP's previous posts. The person seems to hate everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I hate that its 1000's of km's from Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I really hate the Australian bogans (chavs) - And there are to be found almost everywhere you go in Oz unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

I had a WHV nearly 10 years ago and really enjoyed it. I never planned on staying for longer than my 1st year and I didn't, instead I travelled elsewhere before returning to Ireland after a year and a bit.

Some things I liked: the weather, the sea and beach, not wearing shoes and socks, the public services, the prosperity, the multiculturalism, competing big cities, different climates in different states, the wildlife.

Some things I disliked: the distance from Ireland, macho society, widely accepted racism, the red centre, wannabe mini Americana, drunken Aboriginals threatening behaviour, the Cock and Bull etc., a federal state system, gambling facilities in pubs.

Overall its a great place but I prefer Ireland (despite its numerous flaws), I think the main thing I prefer is Irish people's sense of humour although I don't think I tried very hard to get in tune with the Aussie one. I'm at peace with that though.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

You sound like a typical Oz-worshipping paddy, who takes abuse and insults from Aussies all hidden in "jokes" and "laughs them off" because you haven't the self respect to stand up to the uncooth buffoons. You came over on the WHV and think you are "one of them", but you will never be. It wasn't too long ago that stupid Irishman jokes were standard fare in the pub, and that attitude to us largely prevails. But don't let that get in the way of your chosen new identity. Now go hang out with your dikchead poser new mates and enjoy your inane banter.

Not everyone who comes to Australia likes the place or fits in. Everyone is different and one thing I can't stand is people who stay in Australia but hate the place and make themselves miserable by staying just because they are only here to make money or whatever their reason. People should realise when to go home and you sound like you are ready for that. However I don't think that will solve all of your problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MOD: Last Warning, seriously

Sundy wrote: »
    I hate that its 1000's of km's from Ireland

That's one of the biggest attractions.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Someone on a WHV is going to have a different mindset than someone on an immigrant visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I get annoyed with the slang and having to shorten everything down. Servo's, ambos, firies, boaties. Mitsubishis latest odd adverts where they get called mitzies.....

Shudders......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I hate the fact that I have to do a lot of difficult or shitty mechanical jobs in my place because either their completely fucking lazy or useless. Of course their not all are like that:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I get annoyed with the slang and having to shorten everything down. Servo's, ambos, firies, boaties. Mitsubishis latest odd adverts where they get called mitzies.....

Shudders......

Shuds

:D

Shudders......

Brekkies.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

The House Prices, very tough to get on the ladder here!

Love everything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Ladders are dangerous, stay of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I read recently that the term "property ladder" only appeared in MSM in the early 80s. The boomers, of which Australia has more than most, have rode that property longer than most thanks to China and generous tax breaks like negative gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭ambasite

Minimum EFTPOS spend

$2 change to use ATM's, not belonging to your bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ambasite wrote: »
    Minimum EFTPOS spend

$2 change to use ATM's, not belonging to your bank.

In about 7 years I doubt this feature has cost me more than $20.

Easily countered by carrying more cash and using an atm when you see one.

It is a pain though

Advertisement