Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loncin Honda clones.. Any good?

• 24-05-2013 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

The 6.5 honda engine on my rotovator has packed it in after many years of hard work. Are those chinese made loncin honda clones any good at all? I was thinking of ordering one as a replacement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Anyone have experience with these of similar chinese clone engines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Anyone have experience with these of similar chinese clone engines?
    yes-they are as good as a badly made chinese copy of somthing usually is. The metal used is recycled from the inside of Pringles tubes and the plastics are old black bags melted down and re-moulded. Apart from that, they're great, for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Thelostcountry

The 6.5 honda engine on my rotovator has packed it in after many years of hard work. Are those chinese made loncin honda clones any good at all? I was thinking of ordering one as a replacement.

Packed in how? seized,con rod went south,burning oil ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭MrFoxman360

You see them on lots of different machines, they are obviously not as good as an actualy honda engine but they should be fine for a garden rotavator. You have to weigh it up against the amount of use the machine gets.

They are reasonably relaible if you look after them correctly, keep it maintained and keep an eye for loose nuts / bolts, air ducts etc....

Weak points would be the ignition system, in particualar the cdi unti which controls the current for the spark plug. Also if you get a brand new one, change the engine oil in it before you start it. Chinese engines are often full of poor quality oil that is more for shipping purposes than for running, it only holds a few liters anyway. also be careful with the pull start mechanisim, it isn't as strong as the Honda ones. Be gentle with it and it will be fine.

Boards is probably not the best place to ask are chinese clone engines any good. The default response for most people will, 'no they're shyte, go by a proper honda'. A smart person however will take into account the cost of a genuine honda against a clone, and also the amount of use it gets. If you want everything as good as it can possibly be, buy a honda, if you just want the thing to work, get a Loncin and it will be grand for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

You see them on lots of different machines, they are obviously not as good as an actualy honda engine but they should be fine for a garden rotavator. You have to weigh it up against the amount of use the machine gets.

They are reasonably relaible if you look after them correctly, keep it maintained and keep an eye for loose nuts / bolts, air ducts etc....

Weak points would be the ignition system, in particualar the cdi unti which controls the current for the spark plug. Also if you get a brand new one, change the engine oil in it before you start it. Chinese engines are often full of poor quality oil that is more for shipping purposes than for running, it only holds a few liters anyway. also be careful with the pull start mechanisim, it isn't as strong as the Honda ones. Be gentle with it and it will be fine.

Boards is probably not the best place to ask are chinese clone engines any good. The default response for most people will, 'no they're shyte, go by a proper honda'. A smart person however will take into account the cost of a genuine honda against a clone, and also the amount of use it gets. If you want everything as good as it can possibly be, buy a honda, if you just want the thing to work, get a Loncin and it will be grand for many years.
    No, they are shyte. The recoil starter is made of peanut butter, the valve gear is too soft, even the choke/throttle/fuel levers are rubbish and the quality of materials is muck.

The truly smart person will just go buy the one Honda engine and run it for years. Others will buy a clone, then another, then another. Every interaction I have with these copy motors is a pain.

Honda are the best small engine, in fact, almost the only small engine. Every other manufacturer makes muck that will die if it gets any hard work. The exception is Robin. Robin make a great engine as well. I have dozens, literally dozens of small petrol powered tools and would not even waste my or others time with a clone motor. They are soft, unreliable muck.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

had one, complete rubbish, very poorly made

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AlexisWolf

I've had a Loncin powered 2.5kw generator for over 3 years now. I use it for power tools in off grid building maintenance etc. It has performed faultlessly, is easy very to start and reasonable on fuel consumption. I look after it and do not leave it in the rain and dirt. However, if you're wanting to hammer something to death then say it's shyte when it fails then you may be better off spending the extra on top branded gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

had 1 of them in a pressure washer, total rubbish, pay the extra and get the honda, worth in it the long run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

coyle21 wrote: »
    had 1 of them in a pressure washer, total rubbish, pay the extra and get the honda, worth in it the long run

Me too . 6.5HP spurious would overheat. 5.5hp honda never felt it was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

No, they are shyte. The recoil starter is made of peanut butter, the valve gear is too soft, even the choke/throttle/fuel levers are rubbish and the quality of materials is muck.

The truly smart person will just go buy the one Honda engine and run it for years. Others will buy a clone, then another, then another. Every interaction I have with these copy motors is a pain.

Honda are the best small engine, in fact, almost the only small engine. Every other manufacturer makes muck that will die if it gets any hard work. The exception is Robin. Robin make a great engine as well. I have dozens, literally dozens of small petrol powered tools and would not even waste my or others time with a clone motor. They are soft, unreliable muck.:)

Do you not think you should include briggs and stratton in there aswell? theyve been around a long time and theres plenty of them still doin the rounds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

We had a 125 bike with a loncin engine that we bought for fiel use... The cousins ktm has gone through 2 engine rebuilds and the little chinese bike is still flying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

We had a 125 bike with a loncin engine that we bought for fiel use... The cousins ktm has gone through 2 engine rebuilds and the little chinese bike is still flying

Is your cousins KTM 2 stroke?

9935452 wrote: »
    Is your cousins KTM 2 stroke?

Both 4 stroke

Uncle has a honda g100 here. Would that suit??

Advertisement