Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things about Australia you don't like/hate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I know its been talked about to death. But the one thing i'd change if i could would be daylight saving. I live in Central Queensland and getting home from work and its dark every day is a pain in the hoop.

It suits the early starters. So some win some lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

irishmover wrote: »
    It suits the early starters. So some win some lose.

It does, but at the height of summer a 4am sunrise and 7pm sunset could easily be 5am to 8pm and keep more people happy.

Its a minor enough thing. I love living here, just a little bugbear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It does, but at the height of summer a 4am sunrise and 7pm sunset could easily be 5am to 8pm and keep more people happy.

Its a minor enough thing. I love living here, just a little bugbear.
    I think you overstate the case a little. To take Rockhampton as an example, on no day of the year is sunrise before 5:00 am. The earliest is 5:08 on 21 December.

But, yes, you have a point. In general the closer you are to the equator, the less sense daylight saving time makes. The problem is that Qld's population is focussed on the south-east corner of the state, and they have much more to do with NSW, just across the border to the south again, where daylight-saving is observed because it makes sense in Sydney.

We don't have daylight saving in WA. We've had three referenda on the subject, and each time we have wisely rejected the proposal. So this really is something about Queensland you don't like, not something about Australia.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think you overstate the case a little. To take Rockhampton as an example, on no day of the year is sunrise before 5:00 am. The earliest is 5:08 on 21 December.

But, yes, you have a point. In general the closer you are to the equator, the less sense daylight saving time makes. The problem is that Qld's population is focussed on the south-east corner of the state, and they have much more to do with NSW, just across the border to the south again, where daylight-saving is observed because it makes sense in Sydney.

We don't have daylight saving in WA. We've had three referenda on the subject, and each time we have wisely rejected the proposal. So this really is something about Queensland you don't like, not something about Australia.

Yeah, its a Queensland thing.

Is that 5.08am accurate? I could have sworn it was much earlier than that. Could be wrong though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

As fine an example of Fuckwittery as I've ever seen.

For what it's worth, unlike the years of "the sneer" begrudgery and backbiting I witnessed in Irish society, there is little to no "subtlety" about a put-down or snub from an Aussie, should you ever receive a genuine one, you will know that you've been Tando'ed. Meantime, give as good as you get and you'll get over it very quickly and see it for what it is.
    I'm not sure about Oz-worshipping, never seen it myself.
    As for Globo-paddies, How anyone can see that as being a bad thing compared to say a parochial stool pigeon paddy, is just beyond me.

Lmfao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think I prefer this Aussie version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,607 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is that 5.08am accurate? I could have sworn it was much earlier than that. Could be wrong though...

Longest day of the year is 5:08am to 6:43pm, Rockhamption.

I can see you point, it makes more sense to have light between 6:30am-7:30pm or so. But in terms of getting home when its dark, winters are going to be unchanged. So it'll still be dark by 5-6pm during shorter days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

It'll still start getting bright about a half hour before sunrise i.e. dawn

My bad, i thought it was earlier. Like i said though, its a small thing. Other than that i love living here. Great place to live!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

The way they pronounce 'pasta'.

It's not 'partster', it's pasta.

Advertisement