Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year of marriage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Make sure you change the jacks roll and put down the seat, once you do these tasks your life will be much happier!!!!

Oh and make sure you do a crap job on the ironing, she will never ask you to do it again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

You sound like this that's been doing the rounds on social media http://sethadamsmith.com/2013/11/02/marriage-isnt-for-you/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Our first year was tough. Got home from honeymoon and our apartment wasnt ready to move in to. Had to spend our first night home in her mums. Found it really hard living with someone after being pretty much on my own up to marriage. She was unemployed as well and her mood was in her boots. We spent a long time fighting.

Looking back, it galvanised us. We got through some very tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

17 years married. Still reckon shes a doll and spend ages going at her.

The family that sprays together, stays together:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭DexyDrain

I think men in the first year of marriage were one of the 'risk groups' identified in Durkheim's study on suicide, the sudden realisation that they have lost a significant amount of personal autonomy and opportunity for the rest of your life sometimes leads to fatalistic suicide. His analysis was published in 1897 though so perhaps the increase in co-habitation and separation/divorce has had an impact on the phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Can't imagine how it'd be difficult if you were living together before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

The first year living together is the adjustment period, whether it happens before or after you get married. Though I'd imagine you've been through the biggest adjustment of all with a baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Lando and his missus had a wonderful romantic 1st year.
    Wheter it be cold winter evenings snuggled on the couch; fresh spring days walking hand in hand through natures rebirth, gazing spellbound into each others eyes on hazy summer days, playfully tickling each other in the park during autumns colourful canopies.
    That is true love.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Posts by a rereg troll and subsequent responses have been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

smcgiff wrote: »
    20 years later...

:p

Never happen! I pick up with women easier than a bin man picks up rubbish!

If I find someone I know that ill be committed to 100% and the feeling is mutual then ill consider settling down but until then I don't see the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Went directly from honeymoon to moving to another country, if anything the few months before the wedding were a bigger test than the 1st year...all the stress of organising it, deciding who to invite and who not to invite, shipping all our stuff over here, leaving work whilst trying to sort jobs over here and throwing out or giving away loads of stuff from the apartment.

First yr was a pleasure after all that concentrated madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Different for everyone, I guess, but the arrival of children - if that's for you - is a challenge when it comes to time/sleep/energy/alone time.

Great to have children but make sure all your travels/partying together are done first - you'll have a few busy. tiring years after the kids arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Rather shamefully, and with regret as to how his dreams never came to fruition?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Good first year of marriage: Not sick of the sight of each other yet, lots of sex, holding in the odd fart.

Not-so-good first year of marriage: Asking other people how theirs went. :o

There is your problem. If you still feel you need to do this, you weren't ready for marraige

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Pregnant and engaged within a year....

At the ripe old age of 32 I reckon (for whatever marriage is worth) you shouldn't think about getting engaged till around the 4 year mark. You simply can't say 'this is the one' within a year and anyone who thinks otherwise is watching too many Hollywood movies.

I don't think this is true. My parents met, got engaged & were married within a year and 11 months later had a baby. They were together 32 years before my dad passed away. It wasn't a walk in the park for them but their attitude was if they knew that this was the person for them, then why beat around the bush & just go for it?

I think sometimes problems arise when people wait too long to decide if the person they're with is the one for them. I don't mean marriage as I don't think that has to be the outcome but some form of proper commitment. If you're still questioning if they're the person for you after a few years together, then maybe they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

anncoates wrote: »
    If you've cohabited before marriage, what could possibly be so "hard" about the first year of living the exact same life except that you're married?

I reckon financial issues might be a big cause of the stress, the problems may have begun to store up before the wedding, but you have an end goal there. Once it's over, they might hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Getting the ride every night and twice on Sundays
    Though not with the wife I wager.
    You chose your username well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

paulbok wrote: »
    There is your problem. If you still feel you need to do this, you weren't ready for marraige

Nonsense. Nothing wrong with being respectful around women, even if it's your wife.

Anyone who says they behave in front of their spouse as if they were alone, is either full of ****, or a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

paulbok wrote: »
    No. It's called courtesy and consideration.

• Advertisement

smcgiff wrote: »
    Rather shamefully, and with regret as to how his dreams never came to fruition?

Nope wrong! Stop being condescending its not good.

Been at the relationship thing before, have the kid. Close to getting married before but never went a head.

Don't see the point in being in one unless I can give 100% and know that I get it in return. And I know what's next and the answer is no. I've never ever treated a woman disrespectfully or wrong, as a matter of fact I'd still be pretty close with most. Probably part of the reason why I pick them up so easily, word gets around how nice I am and they all want a bit!

People live how they want to and me living single is how I want to live. Why have one when I can have them all?

:P

• Site Banned Posts: 12 Polyethanol

Nope wrong! Stop being condescending its not good.

Been at the relationship thing before, have the kid. Close to getting married before but never went a head.

Don't see the point in being in one unless I can give 100% and know that I get it in return. And I know what's next and the answer is no. I've never ever treated a woman disrespectfully or wrong, as a matter of fact I'd still be pretty close with most. Probably part of the reason why I pick them up so easily, word gets around how nice I am and they all want a bit!

People live how they want to and me living single is how I want to live. Why have one when I can have them all?

:P

Well said, some people feel the need to put down those who have more women than they can handle.

dodzy wrote: »
    Though not with the wife I wager.

You chose your username well.

Haha I thought Don Won was a bit too cocky!

Advertisement