Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Options to watch f1 2015

• 03-03-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi everybody,
    Just wondering what my options are for watching the f1 races that bbc is not showing.
    Have freesat at home and can't justify sky for only f1.
    Is rte Germany with five live the only other option ?
    Have looked at the little live tv box, but as far as I understand it is not available in Ireland.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

RTL is not a terrible option tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭Harika

Setanta are also showing them, but they have horrible ad breaks. When I did not have access to Sky, I simply went to a pub close by and asked them to turn it on and had one or two drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You could watch the likes of RTL with BBC radio commentary.

I just download them later that day, or the next day. I'd love to have a proper service to pay for but it seems F1 bosses want TV money not fan money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I hate the way BBC only show full coverage for half the races! :( I could watch Suzi Perry all day long!

Im in the same boat as yourself OP, Was considering getting Sky F1, seems like a lot though for just F1 although if it had MotoGP,WSB and BSB it could be worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The sooner F1 streams directly to the end user the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Zcott wrote: »
    The sooner F1 streams directly to the end user the better.

I cant really wrap my head around that ... why wouldnt they just do something like a monthly membership ? Includes races/quali/news etc ... I'd pay for that no problem because its everything you want/need rolled up into one medium! Id easily pay €20-30 for that

Regional fees sum up higher than global self marketing, that is why e.g. Eurosport lost the MotoGP right to BBC, Sport1 ... in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Even if they offered a direct subscription it wouldn't cut out the likes of BBC and sky. Sky and BBC still provide great coverage, I've watched races that were broadcast on setanta and Australian TV and they're not a patch on the two UK stations.

It would just give people who don't have access to satellite or the BBC a chance to watch races, we'd probably still have to find our own commentary and analysis.

BBC produces the world stream, so e.g. TSN (or ESPN) is shown with the voices of Ben Edwards and David Coulthard. But Sky wouldn't pay such a high fee if they would not have exclusive rights.
    But yes in theory they could simply put the BBC Stream online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I suppose they're looking into it to an extent. WRC is broadcast online for €4.99 a month, so the technology is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I use a sky nowtv box... £10.99 for a week long sky sports pass
    I'll be using it again this year for the 10 races the BBC don't have
    Gives me a good stream... got tired of on-line streams poor quality

Works out to be close to 150 quid for the year, but as I can have it on 2 Tv's in separate homes I split it with my brother so that brings it to about €75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be fair to sky, for anyone with a basic package, adding f1 has been very good value.
    Full price for f1 in hd is is about 140 quid for 9 months. Every year so far, I've had a significant reduction giving f1 in hd for the year for about 70 or 80 quid.
    fair enough, if you don't have sky, it's costly enough to get it just for f1.
    As regards the content on the channel, it's abit disappointing that they don't do a bit more to avoid the winter long replays.

Advertisement