Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's late night National Anthem and closedown

Options
  • 04-03-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Does anyone else remember how TV stations used to 'close-down' for the night years ago ?

I remember RTE used to 'close down' about midnight with a quick look at what was to look forward to the next day, and then the national anthem was played over some nice beautiful scenery of the Irish countryside. As a child it was a treat to be allowed stay up that late - right to the end of the tv day :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was a rare moment to be up that late alright!

Prayer+station closedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Never mind the National Anthem - what about the appalling high pitched noise that used to come on a few minutes later to wake you out of a drunken stupor on the couch - or was that just me. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Programmes on RTÉ will resume at 2.15 tomorrow afternoon.

Oíche mhaith agus codladh sámh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just remember waiting patiently for the aertel pages to cycle through at 3am
    I didnt have the proper remote so couldnt check it normally :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

over on two they had nightlight with some priest giving us guidance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,802 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Never mind the National Anthem - what about the appalling high pitched noise that used to come on a few minutes later to wake you out of a drunken stupor on the couch - or was that just me. :D

With that Test Card yoke...hqdefault.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del.Monte wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RayserSharp

Remember the xylophone loop of O'Donnell Abú that used to play before RTE Radio 1 came on air in the morning? The same tune now forms the basis for the RTE TV news signature tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Always reminds me of babysitting back in those days and they'd stay out late and you brought fuck all to read. You'd be contemplating reading the back of cereal boxes by the time they go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Remember the xylophone loop of O'Donnell Abú that used to play before RTE Radio 1 came on air in the morning? The same tune now forms the basis for the RTE TV news signature tune.

That's still played just before 5.30am each morning, it signals the start of the day's live programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

With that Test Card yoke...hqdefault.jpg

The test card on RTE 2 was multi-coloured lines

Advertisement