Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Jaw Bone find pushes Human existence back (yet again) 400,000 years

Options
  • 05-03-2015 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Lower Jawbone, found in Ethiopia in 2013, dated to 2.8 million years old.

irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/human-history-pushed-back-400-000-years-by-new-discovery-1.2126457

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fantastic find, but I'd reckon too early to tell yet. The usual scramble to add another homo species from one or two bones is afoot I think. If they find more of the bones that would help, though as the Georgian Erectus shows us there was a lot of variability within these groups at the same time. It's too "messy" at those periods of time to be definitive. We're getting there though.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Wibbs wrote: »
    as the Georgian Erectus shows us there was a lot of variability within these groups at the same time.

I think it often goes down to the fact that everyone wants to find something new... paleontologists are way too quick to assign genus and species to these measly remains IMO.

Advertisement