Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mice in school

• 24-02-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I know of a school with a serious rodent problem, as far as I know it's mice.

I'm looking for some information regarding health and safety guidelines or legislation with regard to dept of education. I can't find any. I know preschools are governed by a different body but am I to assume that my 4 year old in pre school is protected but my 11 year old in school isn't?

I might ring the health and safety authority tomorrow, not sure if they'll be able to help? Or the dept of education themselves!

If anyone has any further information id be delighted.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

Have you spoken to the school about your concerns? Regardless of who you contact it will be the school who have to take action on this issue. I am sure the staff will also want something done if there is an issue with vermin in their place of work.
    Fm34 wrote: »
    I know of a school with a serious rodent problem, as far as I know it's mice.

I'm looking for some information regarding health and safety guidelines or legislation with regard to dept of education. I can't find any. I know preschools are governed by a different body but am I to assume that my 4 year old in pre school is protected but my 11 year old in school isn't?

I might ring the health and safety authority tomorrow, not sure if they'll be able to help? Or the dept of education themselves!

If anyone has any further information id be delighted.

Thanks in advance,

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

If every school in the country that has had mice had to close, very few would be left open. Mice LOVE schools, doors are open, so easy access to heat and to all that food that falls in the yard or down the back of the bins or whatever.

I worked in a school in the 90s where the kids ran leagues between the rooms as to how many traps would be full each morning. I also worked in a very rural school where the kids wanted to know if they caught the mice, could they have them as pets?!?

A serious mouse epidemic would not be welcomed by staff or children these days , nor should it be. The odd mouse is unavoidable, but if they are in large numbers, I would talk to the school.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I remember mice occasionally in our classroom as kids and of course we fed them!!
    A few mice is pretty normal ,rats or a lot of mice is a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Our secondary school had to close back in the late nineties for a few days due to rats they started disturbing land for a new road beside a river caused chaos but it was an epidemic.
    Most schools I have worked in have had mice like others have said. I think most teachers consider the odd one an occupational hazard but many is a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Paddyo

Hi Fm34

Not really sure what you expect the school to do other than to get a Pest Control company into the school. If that is not happening, then I would be concerned.

Paddyo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Fm34

Paddyo wrote: »
    Hi Fm34

Not really sure what you expect the school to do other than to get a Pest Control company into the school. If that is not happening, then I would be concerned.

Paddyo

That's exactly what I want them to do paddy. But if they hadn't done it in the last couple of years I don't think they're going to do it because of little old me! Just wanted to see if there was some legislation or guidelines I could go in there with.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Define "serious" and is it all year round?

Advertisement