Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new treatment unit- can i get a grant?

Options
  • 26-05-2015 11:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have a house in a rural area built about 13 years. My sinks and white goods run into a stone filled soakaway and the sewage into a septic tank. I’m looking into perhaps getting a new septic tank/wastewater treatment system that would perhaps do both. Is there a grant for this, and if so, what is the process? I’ve been having some problems with my soakaway of late (in essence I think the one I have is too small) so I guess my two options would be (A) make a larger soakaway and leave my existing septic tank alone or (B) if I could get a grant, go for a new system that could do the lot. Any advice folks?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Advice: get an engineer to survey, consult, design, submit planning & supervise install.
    Sinks / white goods should not go to a soak away

The eng will advise on grants but I would suspect you are in breach of your planning (13years old?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭ruskin

BryanF wrote: »
    Advice: get an engineer to survey, consult, design, submit planning & supervise install.
    Sinks / white goods should not go to a soak away

The eng will advise on grants but I would suspect you are in breach of your planning (13years old?)

Do you need planning permission to replace a septic tank?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

There is a grant scheme however it's is only for septic tank systems that have failed an inspection from the local authority and are only available to lower income households. The uptake for the grants is apparently very low. You can't request a local authority inspection and they are only able to inspect a small percentage of properties in a year so it's unlikely that you'll see them any time soon

Rabbo wrote: »
    There is a grant scheme however it's is only for septic tank systems that have failed an inspection from the local authority and are only available to lower income households. The uptake for the grants is apparently very low. You can't request a local authority inspection and they are only able to inspect a small percentage of properties in a year so it's unlikely that you'll see them any time soon

Thats interesting. So I can't register my septic tank, request a guy to inspect it and then apply for the grant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

No, unfortunately not. The councils have risk assessed their entire counties and are targeting the high risk areas first. They won't call out to you on demand

Rabbo wrote: »
    No, unfortunately not. The councils have risk assessed their entire counties and are targeting the high risk areas first. They won't call out to you on demand

Pity. I suppose I'll just dig a bigger soakpit for me sinks and white goods and use an old agricultural tank I got for a new septic tank.

Advertisement