Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Woolly Mammoth resurrection - I'll believe it when I see it . . .

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

RebelSoul wrote: »
    I doubt your dogs are "forced" to sleep there. I'm sure it's an arrangement that is mutually beneficial. If they are being forced to do it against their will however than it would certainly be unpleasant for them. In that case it would be unethical.
    They are forced in the sense that they don't have an option. If they don't come home at 5 I go out and bring them in.

What I take from your response is it being "unnatural" isn't the issue, it being unpleasant is.

I don't know if impregnating an elephant with a mammoth is any less pleasant than impregnating it with another elephant, or even any less pleasant than keeping it in a zoo for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I doubt that it is possible, and while I would probably be one of the first to go and see it at the zoo if it actually happened, I don't think it is right.

The mammoth won't be able to breed because it will have part elephant and part mammoth DNA so it will be the only mammoth and when it dies they will be extinct again so really it is pointless.

The poor creature will probably spend much of its life being experimented on.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭RebelSoul

Seachmall wrote: »
    They are forced in the sense that they don't have an option. If they don't come home at 5 I go out and bring them in.

What I take from your response is it being "unnatural" isn't the issue, it being unpleasant is.

I don't know if impregnating an elephant with a mammoth is any less pleasant than impregnating it with another elephant, or even any less pleasant than keeping it in a zoo for that matter.

Unnatural is my issue, not my only issue though. It's just I really can't draw a comparison between an animal being impregnated with a foreign species and a dog sleeping in a man made room. It seems silly to me.

Unnatural is my issue, not my only issue though. It's just I really can't draw a comparison between an animal being impregnated with a foreign species and a dog sleeping in a man made room. It seems silly to me.

What about injecting someone with a vaccine?

That doesn't occur in nature.

My point is there are millions of things that we do on a daily basis don't typically occur naturally but that does not make them unethical. It's a fallacious appeal to nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Donkeys and horses are commonly crossbreed even though they are different species.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Don't see it happening, but it would be a pointless exercise. The planet has changed since the time of the woolly mammoth. Where would they live? What would they eat? How would they adapt to the current state of the earth? What would it mean for other organisms living in the habitat that they're put into? Would they be able to breed? What about genetic diversity?

What's the purpose of this experiment other than to say "look what we can do!"? It's unnatural and pretty much anti-evolution. The money and resources for this vanity project could be used for more pressing conversational issues, such as the preservation of ecosystems and the survival of current elephant species.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I thought that there would be a problem with oxygen levels or some sh1t
    Naw that's only with dinosaurs as the O2 levels back then were much higher than today.
    1ZRed wrote: »
    There is less than 5% neanderthal DNA in us, that's largely due to us splitting from the same gene pool so we have DNA in common, on either side.

There's also doubt that neanderthals interbred with us.
    That doubt is highly dubious. For a start there are clear well dated sites of Neandertal populations that are more recent than that study(if you could call it that) mentions. There was almost certainly a period of time when Neandertal and modern human populations overlapped in the same area. Many thousands of years of time. That's in Europe alone. never mind in the middle east 100-90 Kya where we were living cheek by jowl for thousands of years and where the genetic "clock" suggests that's where we got jiggy with each other, not in later Europe(that said I'll put money down we got jiggy in Europe too).

As for the less than 5%/shared gene pool part? Couple of problems with that. 1) the genetic clock shows the insertion of genes came much later after the shared history event. 300,000 years later. 2) Otzi the iceman's DNA show nearly 7% Neandertal because the bloke was closer to the event by a few thousand years 3) and the one that kills it stone dead, modern humans went through a genetic bottleneck in Africa where we were reduced to tens of thousands in number. So all humans today are related to that small African group. In which case that research has to be wrong in it's conclusions, because we should all then have Neandertal DNA if it was shared from before or we all shouldn't if it wasn't, but we do and we vary in that. Never mind Denisovan DNA from another human subspecies in Asia. Some modern populations have over 10% of their genes in them.
    If they were brought back they would not be homosapien or "human", as they are a different subspecies.
    They would be very close to us in genetics. We, modern humans, are quite 'inbred" for a species. EG Chimp populations living just ten miles apart have more genetic diversity than all humans throughout the world. Adding in Neandertal and Denisovan folks(and likely other undiscovered cousins. There's at least one to be found in Africa I reckon) would expand our diversity but not by that much. IMHO they would be full members of our "human" species. Sub sub species at a push.

Would they be like us? Harder call. If we did bring back a Neandertal, he or she would come to us cultureless. We'd learn nothing about how they would have been back in the day. They would be brought up in a modern human environment. I strongly suspect that in such an environment they'd end up as pretty much another human, just like you and me. They might be less "tame", less domesticated in nature compared to modern humans. Maybe a comparison might be drawn comparing the diffs between a wolf and a domestic dog. Basically the same species but with a number of behavioral differences. They might be more "wolf like". I'd say similar if we brought back an earlier version of Homo Sapiens from say 100kya. Back then we don't look too much different to others like Neandertals. Big brow ridges and all. Culturally we weren't so different either. That came much later.

Even so take the cultures of clearly modern folks and compare them to Neandertals. If all we had of native Australians were their stone tools and we'd lost all their complex art and stories, we'd likely say Neandertals were more advanced culturally, in stone tool use anyway. Take modern Andaman islanders, the isolated tribal ones can't control fire. They store fire as burning embers from existing fires/lightning strikes etc, but can't actually make it. Neandertals could, they could even cook up compound glues that require some tricky chemistry. They also carved complex wooden items that Andamans don't(we're only scratching the surface on that side).

TL;DR? I'd regard Neandertal folks if they were still around as people, just like you and me, or anyone else around today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

What about injecting someone with a vaccine?

That doesn't occur in nature.

I assume that person will get a benefit from the vaccine. Cure or prevent a disease. What benefit will an elephant get from being impregnated with a foreign species? It might be work out hunky dory or it could be a terrible, stressful experience for the elephant. Point is we are willing to take a chance on it's life without fulling understanding consequences and that's just wrong.
    My point is there are millions of things that we do on a daily basis don't typically occur naturally but that does not make them unethical. It's a fallacious appeal to nature.

I agree but I was focusing my point on the de-extinction of mammoths and the process of it. I'll take everything on a case by case basis. I try as much as possible not to generalise.

What's the purpose of this experiment other than to say "look what we can do!"?

We've learnt quite a lot from studying the behaviors of other animals, adding extinct animals from thousands of years ago to that list could potentially teach us even more.

What could it teach us? I've no idea, but then I wouldn't have thought looking at birds for a while could've uncovered the origins of life.
    It might be work out hunky dory or it could be a terrible, stressful experience for the elephant. Point is we are willing to take a chance on it's life without fulling understanding consequences and that's just wrong.
    But again, that's not an "unnatural" argument. That's an ethical issue regarding animal welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

1ZRed wrote: »
    Donkeys and horses are commonly crossbreed even though they are different species.

Correct but that doesn't mean the practice needs to be continued or extended to involve a species that is now extinct and lived in a different climate.

But again, that's not an "unnatural" argument. That's an ethical issue regarding animal welfare.

I've already made my point regarding unnatural. Are you confusing what is unnatural to us humans and what is going to be unnatural to that animal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've already made my point regarding unnatural. Are you confusing what is unnatural to us humans and what is going to be unnatural to that animal?

Who's to say what's unnatural to an animal that knows absolutely no different?

smash wrote: »
    Who's to say what's unnatural to an animal that knows absolutely no different?

Certainly not me by any stretch of the imagination. I just have my opinion. But who's to say that an animal knows absolutely no different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I could see the Mammoth hair being a major money spinner should they start breeding them. Just imagine pillows stuffed with mammoth hair, mammoth hair carpets, mammoth hair coats, mammoth hair pullovers, mammoth hair curtains, and all kinds of stuff made of mammoth hair!

Presuming of course they could shear mammoths like sheep :)

• Advertisement

I don't distinguish between what's "unnatural" to us humans from what's "unnatural" to any other animals. Any distinction there would be arbitrary.

Go back to my original comparison,
    1. Elephants can't give birth to mammoths without human intervention and therefore it is wrong for them to do so. (Your position, I believe.)
    2. Dogs can't sleep in utility rooms without human intervention and therefore it is wrong for them to do so. (My comparison.)

Those two statements are logically equivalent. (2) is clearly untrue and as a result (1) must also be untrue.

There are different ethical considerations of course but speaking solely in terms of the "unnatural" argument the conclusion is unavoidable: If you agree (2) is wrong you must agree so is (1).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Certainly not me by any stretch of the imagination. I just have my opinion. But who's to say that an animal knows absolutely no different.

Having never experienced a prehistoric existence like it's ancestors, it would know no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

LordSutch wrote: »
    I could see the Mammoth hair being a major money spinner should they start breeding them. Just imagine pillows stuffed with mammoth hair, mammoth hair carpets, mammoth hair coats, mammoth hair pullovers, mammoth hair curtains, and all kinds of stuff made of mammoth hair!

Presuming of course they could shear mammoths like sheep :)

Aren't you forgetting something?

I don't distinguish between what's "unnatural" to us humans from what's "unnatural" to any other animals. Any distinction there would be arbitrary.

Go back to my original comparison,
    1. Elephants can't give birth to mammoths without human intervention and therefore it is wrong for them to do so. (Your position, I believe.)
    2. Dogs can't sleep in utility rooms without human intervention and therefore it is wrong for them to do so. (My comparison.)

Those two statements are logically equivalent. (2) is clearly untrue and as a result (1) must also be untrue.

I disagree
    There are different ethical considerations of course but speaking solely in terms of the "unnatural" argument the conclusion is unavoidable: If you agree (2) is wrong you must agree so is (1).
    Please don't tell me what I must agree with.

smash wrote: »
    Having never experienced a prehistoric existence like it's ancestors, it would know no different.

Oh I see, the mammoth. That's true, I was talking about the host animal.

• Advertisement

I disagree

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, the only thing that matters is if the logic is sound.

If it is and you refuse to accept it then your position becomes worthless.

It doesn't matter if you agree with it or not, the only thing that matters is if the logic is sound.

If it is and you refuse to accept it then your position becomes worthless.

Your logic isn't sound though. It is to you, sure. But that's obscure reasoning you're bringing in. And that's all it is. Reasoning to you. It proves nothing on the individual case we are discussing.

We've learnt quite a lot from studying the behaviors of other animals, adding extinct animals from thousands of years ago to that list could potentially teach us even more.

What could it teach us? I've no idea, but then I wouldn't have thought looking at birds for a while could've uncovered the origins of life.

Potentially, but that doesn't answer any questions about the quality of life that would be available to this species should it be brought back, or the unbalance it could create in the ecosystem it is put into. And if they simply keep it in captivity for the purpose of experimentation, that is unethical, in my opinion. It's money and time that could be and should be spent elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They'll be mad for the Tusks.

:O

Your logic isn't sound though. It is to you, sure. But that's obscure reasoning you're bringing in. And that's all it is. Reasoning to you. It proves nothing on the individual case we are discussing.

The individual case is irrelevant.

The argument is because it's unnatural it's therefore unethical. From that we deduce that everything that is unnatural is unethical.

The only way to avoid that is to introduce conditions as to why this particular case is different from others. Otherwise it remains illogical.

listermint wrote: »
    They'll be mad for the Tusks.

:O

Damn right. In China mammoth tusks fetch about $400 a pound right now.

The individual case is irrelevant.

The argument is because it's unnatural it's therefore unethical. From that we deduce that everything that is unnatural is unethical.

The only way to avoid that is to introduce conditions as to why this particular case is different from others. Otherwise it remains illogical.

No the individual case is not irrelevant. That's the only thing I've ever been talking about.

Potentially, but that doesn't answer any questions about the quality of life that would be available to this species should it be brought back, or the unbalance it could create in the ecosystem it is put into. And if they simply keep it in captivity for the purpose of experimentation, that is unethical, in my opinion. It's money and time that could be and should be spent elsewhere.

In terms of habitat this video suggests there might be a place that accurately reflects what their natural habitat would've been and where they can live (starting at minute 2).

In terms of experimentation, I see no difference between how animals are currently treated and how they would be. That is unfortunately the decisions we make to further our understanding and better our own lives.

Cloning would also bring a lot of attention to this field of science which with it brings money, jobs and a new generation of scientists.

No the individual case is not irrelevant. That's the only thing I've ever been talking about.

Your position, from what I've read so far, is
    • It is impossible without human intervention and therefore it is unethical.
    Right?

If you care about being logical you must extend that argument to everything that is impossible without human intervention. If you refuse to you are engaging in a fallacy known as special pleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I think I'll call him Stampy

• Advertisement

Your position, from what I've read so far, is
    • It is impossible without human intervention and therefore it is unethical.
    Right?

If you care about being logical you must extend that argument to everything that is impossible without human intervention. If you refuse to you are engaging in a fallacy known as special pleading.

Ok you got me I'm out

In terms of habitat this video suggests there might be a place that accurately reflects what their natural habitat would've been and where they can live (starting at minute 2).

In terms of experimentation, I see no difference between how animals are currently treated and how they would be. That is unfortunately the decisions we make to further our understanding and better our own lives.

Cloning would also bring a lot of attention to this field of science which with it brings money, jobs and a new generation of scientists.

There is no sure way of knowing exactly how to reintroduce a long-extinct species to our current ecosystems. The planet has changed a lot since the time of the mammoth. Putting it back into an ecosystem is going to mean what exactly for the creatures that did adapt and are already living there? And what happens if the creature decides to migrate into other ecosystems that it is not adapted to? The woolly mammoth went extinct because of climate change and hunting. It's natural selection at work. Meddling with that is essentially backtracking. The creature could not adapt to conditions on earth and so it is gone. Resurrecting it on a planet that essentially rejected it is counter-evolution. Ecosystems are delicate, and reintroducing species that haven't lived on the planet for a long, long time could do a lot more damage than good. For once, we should really be taking a look at the bigger picture here rather than what could benefit us in the short-term. Shrinking habitats are a serious problem, the planet is only inhabitable on some of its surfaces and we don't know when there could be a complete shift. Species are going extinct all the time. We should be spending the kind of money that's being spent on these vain endeavors on trying doing more to try and save endangered species and ecosystems and preserving what we have. The benefits of this exercise aren't even clear. I don't see how it's even worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

kylith wrote: »
    Why would we want to bring back mammoths? Where would they live? The habitat they evolved for is gone, and anywhere you put them they'll be displacing animals which have evolved to fill those various niches over the last 10,000 years. It'd be like the Sparrowhawk all over again*.

Bring back newly extinct animals, or use preserved specimens to boost the numbers and genetic diversity of endangered species, but there's no point that I can see in bringing back such a large animal from so long ago.

* In the UK there was a huge Save the Sparrowhawk campaign, which was very successful, hooray. However now they're seeing a decrease in the number of sparrows, so there's a Save the Sparrows campaign. 10 points for guessing what Sparrowhawks like to eat.
    Sparrowhawks are not responsible for sparrow numbers dropping thats just the kind of attitude that has feckin muppets killing our raptors. Sparrows and other garden/song birds are disappearing because of intensive farming practices and habitat loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

cd07 wrote: »
    Sparrowhawks are not responsible for sparrow numbers dropping thats just the kind of attitude that has feckin muppets killing our raptors. Sparrows and other garden/song birds are disappearing because of intensive farming practices and habitat loss

The increase in sparrowhawks has had an impact on garden bird numbers, as any increase in predator numbers would. The #1 culprit in the decline of most birds, however, is the pet cat, which kill millions of birds a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Hopefully they'll genetically modify the Mammoths so we get miniature versions that we can keep as cute house pets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

kylith wrote: »
    The increase in sparrowhawks has had an impact on garden bird numbers, as any increase in predator numbers would. The #1 culprit in the decline of most birds, however, is the pet cat, which kill millions of birds a year.

I dont believe for a minute that sparrowhawks have any signiifcant impact on garden bird numbers as garden bird numbers are inflated because of people feeding them etc. Cats are amuch more serious threat to all birds not just small ones. Sparrowhawks get blamed for destroying local populations of smaller birds all the time and its just not the case as by killing all the smaller birds they would be doing themselves damage as they would have nothing to eat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is no sure way of knowing exactly how to reintroduce a long-extinct species to our current ecosystems. The planet has changed a lot since the time of the mammoth.
    Well not so much as we might imagine considering the last population of mammoths died out only three and a half thousand years ago. A time when Newgrange was already not far off two thousand years old. Their last hold out was an island of the coast of Siberia. If you wanted to you could create a "jurassic park" type island environment and they'd probably do well.

That said the value of it is the thing and like you that's where I'd have issue with cloning a mammoth. I'm not so stuck on the "evolution killed them off" notion. After all many recently extinct animals were killed off by hunting and habitat destruction they couldn't adapt to. Me I'd prefer to see the thylacine back for example. The dodo or the great Auk another. The falklands wolf, ditto for the Japanese wolf would be more. Passenger pigeons spring to mind too. Before that list animals on the brink now we should be fighting for. And it's a big problem when species like the Yangtze dolphin are probably already gone though :( The fungus scything through the amphibian populations in the Americas is another real crying fcuking shame and I'd prefer to see the money spent on fighting that than bringing back a one off circus freak.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm not so stuck on the "evolution killed them off" notion.
    We can't prove that humans killed off many species.

But we can show that most thing bigger than a cow went extinct around the same time modern humans arrived where they lived.

Giant tortoises in india
    Giant lizardsin oz
    huge birds in madagascar , the pacific, americas
    lots of flightless birds
    wolly rhinos / elephants
    cave bears
    giant sloths
    most of the camels and all the horses in the americas
    stellars sea cow
    those long legged falkland foxes
    and the chinese river dolphin

Just coincidence :rolleyes:

we should try and undo some of the damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

"Perfectly preserved cells from a woolly mammoth have been found in Siberia, bringing closer the prospect of a cloned comeback for the iconic tusked creature".

Living cells!

"More importantly, the find is said to include 'living cells' - the first time this has been achieved with mammoths. These cells are a huge
    boon for scientists as DNA is destroyed in frozen cells - and a creature's complete DNA code is required for cloning".

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2201589/Perfectly-preserved-living-woolly-mammoth-cells-Siberia-raises-hopes-extinct-animal-cloned.html#ixzz2REaR7j1Q

The more I read the more it seems like a viable project!

• Advertisement
Advertisement