Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to tell work

Options
  • 23-04-2011 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

I have just been told by a friend that she is 9 weeks pregnant. She is going as a public patient to have her baby and has her 1st appointment shortly.
    I asked her did she tell work re this appointment and she said no.
    I know she is not looking forward to telling work. She has worked for this company for a number of years but they have been difficult in the past over a few things.
    I would like to get advice from other board members in regards to this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Totally up to herself, she doesn't have to tell work that she's pregnant until she's applying for maternity leave if she doesn't want to but it'd be a hell of a lot easier organising appointments because they have to give you time off for these rather than taking them out of annual leave if she didn't tell work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I think most people wait until there first scan or there 12 week appointment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Depends on the individual and the type of work.

I told my employer very early as I was working with cytotoxic drugs and patients having nuclear injections so I couldn't be around those patients. It also meant that I was given consideration when working nights and given a more manageable work load in a very physically and emotionally demanding job. Fortunately I wasn't sick but I think if you are quite sick in the early months, your employer might be a little understanding if they know. I had a coupld of fainting episodes too, so because they know I was pregnant, they did not panc too much! I only told a selective few of my managers and told the rest of the staff after the 12 weeks.

Advertisement