Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Induced in 2 days.. Worried sick!

Options
  • 04-04-2011 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Help!

I dont even know what im asking really ~ Im being induced Wednesday morning @ 8am.. Im an absolute bag of nerves over it. Was still staring at the ceiling last nite @ 3am.. Cant sleep..

Is it as bad as they say ~ Apparently the labour happens so fast that the pain is unbearable and also you can tear yourself really easy as your body doesnt have time to adjust to the contractions..

Am i only hearing all the horror stories?

Surely there is some good ones out there!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Mom2Be wrote: »
    Help!

I dont even know what im asking really ~ Im being induced Wednesday morning @ 8am.. Im an absolute bag of nerves over it. Was still staring at the ceiling last nite @ 3am.. Cant sleep..

Is it as bad as they say ~ Apparently the labour happens so fast that the pain is unbearable and also you can tear yourself really easy as your body doesnt have time to adjust to the contractions..

Am i only hearing all the horror stories?

Surely there is some good ones out there!?
    Hi OP, i'm posting here as a man whose partner has been induced in the past and i was with her through it.
    The labour happened pretty fast for her to be honest but she didn't think it was too bad.
    I think you may be hearing just the bad stories but i'm a man and i wouldn't like to undermine anything the amazing women that have gone through.

I'm sure you'll be fine OP. You never know you might go between now and then. Go for a very long walk if possible and get some exercise.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Mom2Be

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have pretty much tried everything they say.. This lady has no intention of arriving on her own, she seems quite comfy where she is. Oh i dunno, as you said, maybe i am just hearing all the horror stories. Plenty women get induced and im sure they cant all be bad stories.

Thank you for the fast reply.

I have pretty much tried everything they say.. This lady has no intention of arriving on her own, she seems quite comfy where she is. Oh i dunno, as you said, maybe i am just hearing all the horror stories. Plenty women get induced and im sure they cant all be bad stories.
    Well as i said my partner was induced. It was for our first whose 7 now.
    She wasn't induced for our second and she said that was a tougher labour.
    You'll be totally fine OP. It would be weird if you weren't a little nervous.
    Its totally natural imo. But you'll be fine and it will all be worth it when your little bundle arrives:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey mom2be

Wednesday is still a good bit away so there is still a chance of spontaneous labour

I was induced on my second child.

But it was a much better delivery than my first child's.

Not half as sore and he was a bigger baby too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I think the fact that I knew I was goin in on the date given had me a bag of nerves too,

Do yourself a favour and rake the phone off the hook on Tuesday night!!

Good luck and enjoy your new baba!!

• Advertisement

Quality wrote: »
    Hey mom2be

Wednesday is still a good bit away so there is still a chance of spontaneous labour

I was induced on my second child.

But it was a much better delivery than my first child's.

Not half as sore and he was a bigger baby too!!
    Now OP, see its not just a silly man like me telling you that you'll be fine:)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Try a long walk and a spicy curry for dinner tonight!! Will be thinking of you hopefully you go yourself between now and wednesday.

Thank you Quality.
    Might be a fabulous experience. Had a date aswell on my 1st (7 now) but went myself on the thurs nite, mind you, i didnt have her until sat morn at half 5 so was pretty long but had an epi so all went well..

I suppose it might be nice not to be in labour for 2 days this time but no guarantees.

Fingers crossed for a good experience is all i can do (",)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I was augmented (in that I didn't have the pessaries but had the drip).

It does move quickly, yes, however you don't have to worry about an epidural slowing down progress when the drip is on the go so you can actually get it before they hook you up. You might even be able to have a sleep while your body is doing to work getting you to the magic 10cm.

Then again you might go between now and then.

Take care missus. xx

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I was augmented (in that I didn't have the pessaries but had the drip).

It does move quickly, yes, however you don't have to worry about an epidural slowing down progress when the drip is on the go so you can actually get it before they hook you up. You might even be able to have a sleep while your body is doing to work getting you to the magic 10cm.

Then again you might go between now and then.

Take care missus. xx

God wouldnt it be lovely to sleep through alot of it :) Thank you for the reply. Lets just hope all goes well, once baby is ok im sure i will get over whatever is coming (",)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I was induced on my boy (now 20 months). He also was a stubborn little git and was way too comfy where he was. I tried everything to go myself but it just wasn't happening and by 10 days over my blood pressure was up and the fluid around him seemed to have dropped so I was booked in for induction. Like you, I was absolutely dreading it and thought that any chance of a natural birth was gone out the window. I shouldn't have worried, but you don't know that when it's happening to you!

So, I was kept in on the Friday night to be induced the following morning. At around 11am the doctor came around and inserted the gel. It was completely painless, even less intrusive than inserting a tampon. After 30 mins I was able to carry on as normal, so I was up and walking about, hoping for something to kick off. My husband and I did laps of the hospital and nothing happened. Eventually at 4pm I was put on a monitor just to check on things and after 20 mins the nurse said she was sending me up to the labour ward to go on a more accurate machine. She didn't tell me that I was actually having contractions (I hadn't felt a single one).

I was on the labour ward about 5 mins when I felt an almighty contraction (really horrible) and my forewaters went. I was a bit shocked as the contractions immediately started coming hot and heavy. I was on the gas for about an hour and a half. I won't lie, it was painful, but while the pain was manageable the fear that it was going to get worse was not. I asked for the epidural, she checked me and said it was too late! So I was stuck with the gas. I had a bit of a quiet freak out but my husband managed to calm me down and I managed to get back to all the calming exercises I'd learned in yoga and from the hypnobirthing CDs and we soon got back on track. I'm sooo glad I didn't get the epi because in the event, the pains didn't get any worse, just closer together and the actual birth bit was completely fine.

In total, from that first contraction it took almost exactly 4 hours - 2 hours of contractions, an hour and a half of irregular pushing (my cervix had started out extremely high - the doctors hadn't been able to reach it to do a sweep - and it took a bit of work to get the baby down) and about half an hour of real hard pushing for the birth. I did tear quite badly, but that was because I didn't stop pushing when I was told to - I think I could have avoided the worst of it if I had listened and controlled myself a little bit better (and everything healed and went back to absolute normal so try not to worry about that).

My boy was 9lbs 6 oz and came out completely healthy. There had been a lot of meconium in the waters but he was unaffected and showed no signs of post-maturity, I guess I'm just a 42-week gestator. Other than the gel, we had no other intervention. To be honest, I would take my 4-hr induction over a 12-hr labour any day of the week. It was a completely positive experience, the midwives were brilliant and did everything they could to make sure I had as natural a birth as possible (as was my stated wish) and I'm delighted we managed it.

Everyone's experience is different, but I think some things can contribute to making it a positive experience (provided there are no medical reasons to do otherwise):

- being induced does not mean other interventions are necessary. Things like leaving the waters intact can make for a less painful delivery and can reduce stress on the baby.

- you don't have to have an epidural. If you think you can cope, you will.

- only eat very lightly in the 12 hours before your induction. I ate all round me and really, really regretted it. I'm not going into details, but yuk.

- listen to the midwife when s/he tells you to stop pushing! If you can resist (and it is hard not to push at that stage) you will avoid the worst of the tearing.

- try not to be afraid! Your baby is coming out one way or the other, your body and the nursing staff know what to do and once it kicks off it's only a few hours til it's all over.

Good luck, I hope it all goes as well for you as it did for me. I'm expecting #2 and I can't believe it, but I'm actually looking forward to the birth on this one!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

We had my wifes waters broken on the middle one and she just went into labour naturally then. Was all over and done with two hours later with no gel or drip or anything. If you're "ripe" (I think that's the word they use) you're much more likely to just go into labour after they break your waters for you.

Good luck anyway!

Cat you are an absolute lifesaver.

Im actually alot more relaxed after reading your post. Thank you so much, i really appreciate it. Ive been thinking all day that my life will be over if i dont get an epi but as you said, if i think i can cope then i will. I just need to get myself in the right head space :)

Thank You :) x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

For what it's worth, here's my 2(+) cents:

Giving birth is a physiological progress, so it would help you significantly to try to relax. Let me explain:

By getting worked up/nervous/anxious about the induction and getting an epidural you're triggering your body's "fight or flight" response, which generates adrenelan. This adrenelan then causes the blood to concentrate its energy & blood supply on the brain & extremities (as the arms & legs would be required to run and/or fight). This, in return, causes you to be more anxious/worked up/stressed. And all of this takes the blood supply & your body's energy *away* from the uterus, where it's required to start/continue labour.

What I'm trying to say, is if you're able to relax - through meditation, deep breaths, walking, reading a book, taking a warm bath, etc, you may find that your body starts responding to its need to birth your baby. It may then be more able to start contractions naturally, and will be more capable of maintaining labour.

Of course, this is much easier said than done (I know!). With both of my girls, the labours only picked up when I was relaxed. Both "stepped up" when I was off the monitoring machines & laying down having a quiet/private rest. There was then a direct correlation to how the labours slowed down when I was hooked up b/c I was focused on heartbeats, what dilation I was, etc.

Try to take your brain out of the equation...let your body do what it needs to without your mind getting in the way! All the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

While I do agree with both Cat and Ayla, this is my experience.

I went into labour on a maternity ward, (first) contractions started at every 7 mins then 5, 3 etc. I was getting on fine, just jumping up at the end of the contraction and stretching out.

I was moved toi the delivery room after 5 hrs and told to call other half and get my bag and this totally took me out of my plan I had in my head. I got flustered, had contractions in the corridor etc.

By the time I was settled in the delivery room, my contractions had stopped.

I was put on the drip, contractions went back up to every 3 mins. It was fine, just loads of gas on the very last few seconds of each contraction.

But after 5 contractions I was so flustered trying to answer the midwives' questions I got an epi.

I have a relation who goes private, gets induced at the due date, gets the epi and is dune and dusted in under 4 hrs every time!

You'll be grand, Ive heard of so many people being up all night the day before their induction date, falling asleep at 5:30 and waking at 7:30 in labour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I had an induction.

Went in at 8 am. They did the balloon and put me on pitocin after the waters eventually broke.

Contractions are from hell. I was in tears for hours.

Got an epi around midnight or later, cant rememeber exactly.

Developed a fever and put on a paracetomal drip and another one for antobiotics think I was on four drips in total plus the monitor strapped around me. Not much room for moving around.

Baby's head got stuck mid contraction at some point early the next morning. I fell asleep during labour.

Two surgeons woke me up to tell me we would need to operate or risk of cerebral palsy.

Had a an emergency section at about 5 am the next day. Put under general. Had a blood transfusion and kidney failure.

Stayed in hospital for five days. Baby was fine.

I had an induction.

Went in at 8 am. They did the balloon and put me on pitocin after the waters eventually broke.

Developed a fever and put on a paracetomal drip and another one for antobiotics think I was on four drips in total plus the monitor strapped around me. Not much room for moving around.

Baby's head got stuck mid contraction at some point early the next morning. I fell asleep during labour.

Two surgeons woke me up to tell me we would need to operate or risk of cerebral palsy.

Had a an emergency section at about 5 am the next day. Put under general. Had a blood transfusion and kidney failure.

Is it called an induction or an inducement?
    My partner and her sister were arguing last week over what its called.
    They asked me and i said i hadn't a clue:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Induction.

Induction.
    Thanks Metro. I wasn't doubting you. :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Although its hard not to worry, tomorrow morning is the day and im just going to have to go with the flow.
    Hopefully will have my little lady sometime tomorrow. Will keep ye posted :) x

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

Although its hard not to worry, tomorrow morning is the day and im just going to have to go with the flow.
    Hopefully will have my little lady sometime tomorrow. Will keep ye posted :) x

Good luck Mom2Be, you'll be great. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I had an induction.

What's the balloon?

I was wondering the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Foley Catheter

A foley catheter is used by some health care professionals to help the cervix dilate. A thin, plastic catheter with a small balloon on one end is inserted into your cervix. Water is slowly pushed through the catheter, allowing the balloon to inflate. As the balloon inflates, pressure is exerted against your cervix, causing your body to release prostaglandins. These hormones then cause your cervix to dilate. Once your cervix has dilated enough, the balloon falls out and the catheter can be removed.

This is a fairly new technique used to dilate the cervix, and is associated with better and safer results. However, there is some evidence that the use of a foley catheter is linked with an increase in your risk of having a subsequent preterm birth.

:eek:

January wrote: »
    :eek:

That actually sounds quite cool!

*I do work in the medical device industry though

Hmmmmm!

Cheers for that January (i think) haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Mom2be, Im being induced on Friday so understand your fears. Im pretty scared too BUT Ive heard nothing but positive stories (well maybe with the exception of the one above :eek: ) so try to focus on that ;) Plus this time next week we'll have our much anticipated babies in our arms :)

mrsberries wrote: »
    Mom2be, Im being induced on Friday so understand your fears. Im pretty scared too BUT Ive heard nothing but positive stories (well maybe with the exception of the one above :eek: ) so try to focus on that ;) Plus this time next week we'll have our much anticipated babies in our arms :)

That we will mrsberries. Well a friend called last nite and was induced on her little one, although she has nothing to compare it with, she said she didnt find it bad at all. Here's hopin for a nice easy time of it.
    Its off to Limerick with me in the morning anyway.. :)

Best of luck for Friday (",)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Hope it all goes well for you Mom2be, I'll be thinking of you! I might be in Limerick myself on this one, was in KK last time. I've heard a couple of good stories about Limerick in the past 3 weeks so I hope you get the same treatment. Make sure you report back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

That we will mrsberries. Well a friend called last nite and was induced on her little one, although she has nothing to compare it with, she said she didnt find it bad at all. Here's hopin for a nice easy time of it.
    Its off to Limerick with me in the morning anyway.. :)

Best of luck for Friday (",)

Thanks a mil, and best of luck tomorrow! Im in Holles Street, have complete faith in the doctors and nurses there so what will be will be!

Advertisement