Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2008 325i E92 Play in Steering Rack - Possible Replacement?

Options
  • 11-07-2012 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

NOTE: Posted on BMW-Driver.net also.

Ok so had the car in with BMW for a free summer check. One of the findings was that they found play in the steering rack when up on the ramp. Now they said I might not have noticed it driving but suggested it should be replaced and it also requires re-programming so around €2,000 for the job. :confused::(

As I am not a mechanic just wondering how urgent this is to be resolved or is it just something that if I don't notice when driving its fine? Additionally is the price quoted excessive or not? :confused:

Any other information/advice welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Get a second opinion imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Turn the car off, and try turning the steering wheel. If there is instant resistance (i.e. you can feel the wheels moving as you turn the wheel) then you know the dealer is having you on. If you can freely move it a small bit either way before you get the heavy feel you should get from a steering wheel when the engine is turned off then you know that there is indeed play in the rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Turn the car off, and try turning the steering wheel. If there is instant resistance (i.e. you can feel the wheels moving as you turn the wheel) then you know the dealer is having you on. If you can freely move it a small bit either way before you get the heavy feel you should get from a steering wheel when the engine is turned off then you know that there is indeed play in the rack.

Thanks, just done that.

Reversed car out of the drive way and drove back in twice.

1st time, turned car straight off and tried turning steering wheel, felt immediate resistance. :)

2nd time, drove in, let down window, got out, tried turnnig steering wheel gently with engine running, front wheel immediately moved, then turned car off. Then using two fingers tried turning the steering wheel, again immediate resistance and I could see the front wheel moving as I turned the steering wheel literally a fraction. :)

So is a second opinion warranted or I have my answer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

Sorry off-topic, but what's all this about a free summer check?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

pajo1981 wrote: »

http://www.bmw.ie/ie/_shortcuts/summer/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

pajo1981 wrote: »

To Generate business for the workshop.

They are salesmen too.

I'm sure it generates sales of cars too, when they undermine confidence in a perfectly good Car.

It would be reasonable to expect a Steering rack to last more than four years, so BMW should be paying for it if is indeed gone, which i doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Thanks, just done that.

Reversed car out of the drive way and drove back in twice.

1st time, turned car straight off and tried turning steering wheel, felt immediate resistance. :)

2nd time, drove in, let down window, got out, tried turnnig steering wheel gently with engine running, front wheel immediately moved, then turned car off. Then using two fingers tried turning the steering wheel, again immediate resistance and I could see the front wheel moving as I turned the steering wheel literally a fraction. :)

So is a second opinion warranted or I have my answer? :confused:

You could get a second opinion but I'd say you have your answer. I'd always recommend a second opinion of most BMW main dealer 'checks', especially from one prominent Dublin dealer.

We only recently had a 735i that they said needed 4.5k worth of work for it to pass the NCT. We did dealt with all the issues BMW noted for less then 1k and it passed.

BMW service departments are told, for these checks, to quote for everything required to put the car back to the condition that it left the showroom in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Considering one of the lads on a different site got a reply from Colm Quinn in athlone saying the FREE check would be €158....

Advertisement