Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question-Re Recruitment.(RDF)

Options
  • 09-04-2012 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I filled out the required application forms in the barracks on the 21 February (7 weeks ago) and was wondering if 1) Anybody could make an educated guess at how long it might be until I'am sworn in and stuff. 2) Is there anybody I could contact to get an update, like has my Garda clearance same through yet and 3) Would the recruitment embargo lift for the PDF have an impact on the process.

I apologise if these sort of questions are being asked all the time but I'm just really looking forward to getting involved. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭CIGANO

It depends on alot of things. I personally was waiting for 10 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

I filled out the required application forms in the barracks on the 21 February (7 weeks ago) and was wondering if 1) Anybody could make an educated guess at how long it might be until I'am sworn in and stuff. 2) Is there anybody I could contact to get an update, like has my Garda clearance same through yet and 3) Would the recruitment embargo lift for the PDF have an impact on the process.

I apologise if these sort of questions are being asked all the time but I'm just really looking forward to getting involved. Thanks in advance.

1/2) Varies depending on luck. If you have a local TD you can make enquiries through him/her on what's happening. I would highly recommend doing this - I know one person whose security clearance was sat on for a couple of months, was finally sent to the Guards, was back in a month and was then sat on for a further five months.

3) It will, on balance of probabilities, slow things down compared to how it would have gone without.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 RichardDunne5

Maoltuile wrote: »
    1/2) Varies depending on luck. If you have a local TD you can make enquiries through him/her on what's happening. I would highly recommend doing this - I know one person whose security clearance was sat on for a couple of months, was finally sent to the Guards, was back in a month and was then sat on for a further five months.

3) It will, on balance of probabilities, slow things down compared to how it would have gone without.

Yeah I've heard a few stories of peoples clearance just being left in cabinets and such. Tbh I aint got a clue regarding how to get contact a local TD but I'll certainly investigate that route. Looking like I'll just have to sit back and be patient :(

Anyone know if I could just walk into my local Garda station and ask for an update ?

Anyone know if I could just walk into my local Garda station and ask for an update ?

It doesn't go to your local Guards, not for many years, sorry.

• Advertisement

Maoltuile wrote: »
    It doesn't go to your local Guards, not for many years, sorry.

Alri, do you if I could get in touch with the people who carry out the vetting process and to your knowledge would the fact I'am under 18 speed or slow the process ? Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

I applied exactly a year ago and I've yet to hear back about a medical.

There's a big hold up with Garda clearances so your gonna be waiting a while.

• Site Banned Posts: 317 ✭✭Turbine

The recruitment embargo on the Defence Forces was lifted just under 2 years ago. But any recruitment carried out by the PDF needs to be sanctioned by the relevant government departments, hence why there was nearly a 3 week delay between the DF announcing 600 vacancies in the news and them announcing it on their website.

With the RDF its the same story, all recruitment has to be sanctioned by the government, and individual companies are then allocated however many units to take on, if any.

So assuming your unit is actually taking on recruits, your Garda clearance will take at least 6 months to come back, and you ringing them up isn't gonna change that. Then there'll probably be another month or so till you get your medical, and if its split into 2 visits because of the doctor being unavailable then it'll be even longer. Then it might take another month till you're actually sworn in.

Do you wana know how long it'll take to get your uniform?:)

Turbine wrote: »
    So assuming your unit is actually taking on recruits, your Garda clearance will take at least 6 months to come back, and you ringing them up isn't gonna change that. Then there'll probably be another month or so till you get your medical, and if its split into 2 visits because of the doctor being unavailable then it'll be even longer. Then it might take another month till you're actually sworn in.

Do you wana know how long it'll take to get your uniform?:)

In my mind this is how I thought the process went: "Ehh hello Guard this is Sargent McGuirk from the barracks there, was just wondering if ya could tell us if Sean McDonagh has any previous convictions or such ?" Local Garda "Ehh hang on and I check for ya there Sarge...........Ehhh no, Slan." "Slan."

Am I too old for the scouts ? :(

ClarkyTrd wrote: »
    I applied exactly a year ago and I've yet to hear back about a medical.

There's a big hold up with Garda clearances so your gonna be waiting a while.

I strongly advise checking on this. In the case I mention, it was sitting on DF desks doing nothing for the majority of the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement