Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4 the lads car insurance

• 03-02-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭

Heard an ad on the radio this morning for www.4thelads.ie, motor insurance specifically for male drivers.

Think it's the first I've heard of that's targeted to male's, whereas there are a few lady specific insurance websites - glad there is a smidgen of gender equality coming to the insurance business.

That's about all the positives though - just ran a quote based on my details and it's come to €300 more (35% more) than I renewed with 123.ie, with an excess of €4,000 :eek: My current excess is €250

Might be an option for some if they can't get insured elsewhere, but it didn't do anything for me. Anyone else get a price better than what they are currently paying?

Comments

30, ten years NCB and they quoted €570 for the ZT, 3rd PF&T, about a €100 more than insure.ie, most of the main insureres quote me less than that for fully comp. Must be really only aimed at the younger lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sure this has been done for years. This "new company" is probably just another trading name for the same company that's been offering reasonable quotes for lads as long as they cough up €4,000 themselves for any claim

For a laugh, I tried online years ago and I could get fully comp on a brand new Ferrari F360 for about €1000 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

just a broker, only quote they gave me was xsdirect, 927 with an excess of 4k.
    basically just an advetisign pitch as i've gotten similar quotes from a few brokers before.
    nothing special about them.

e39 M5 - current insurance is ~1700 via insure.ie, and i'd rather pay that than have a 4k excess hanging over me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,708 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

subway wrote: »
    just a broker, only quote they gave me was xsdirect, 927 with an excess of 4k.

xsdirect, that's who I meant. Couldn't think of the name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

I think im best qualified to get a quote off them so far, being a young lad.

age 20, 3 years no claims, full license, driving a 1.5 yaris t-sport, currently paying 950 fully comp.

'4thelads' quoted me 1827 for the same cover, literally almost exactly twice as much!

switched the option to third party only and was quoted 1164, which is still 200 quid more than im paying already for fully comp.

certainly wont be recommending them to a friend, and will continue recommending my local broker. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mickb

Postal Address:
    www.4thelads.ie
    (Britton Insurance)
    Crennan House,
    Tirconaill Street,
    Donegal Town,
    Co.Donegal,
    Ireland.

MiCk B. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

Mickb wrote: »
    Postal Address:
    www.4thelads.ie
    (Britton Insurance)
    Crennan House,
    Tirconaill Street,
    Donegal Town,
    Co.Donegal,
    Ireland.

MiCk B. :-)

myth busted :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

This is the very first image you see on the website.

img1.jpg

Tsk, tsk...

Clearly driving on the wrong side of the road, not paying attention to the road in front of him, AND not having both hands on the wheel? (he's not changing gears, that's for sure!) That's hardly the way for an insurance company to promote safe driving. I forsee a Joe duffy investigation! :D

Then again, maybe I'm doing him a disservice. He might be checking his blind spot and there was a truck passing with the website quotes, hence his surprise and alarm... :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

18, years no claims and got a quote for 4,500 on a 1.4 peugot 206.

Just paid my insurance and it was 2,300.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭CosmicJay

They don't work out too well for the 18 year olds! :(

NCB: 1
    Car: Passat 20V T sport.

It came back with Britton quoting 5277.

Currently 3350 more than I'm paying with quinn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Feckin' thing keeps telling me my mobile number is invalid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote: »
    This "new company" is probably just another trading name for the same company that's been offering reasonable quotes for lads as long as they cough up €4,000 themselves for any claim

Exactly - it's just like the recent storm in a teacup about the insurance broker for women who were run by a company who also insured blokes under a different operating name.

It's not equality, inequality, discrimination or anything like that - it's just plain old marketing.

My quote was about that I'm paying now, but with the large excess. Don't know if it has the usual extras that I currently get from my broker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

just a stupid old marketing nonsense... no savings to be made... and its not "for the lads" if it was , why ask what sex you are ???

mind you where is the sexist bunch who where giving out about the Ladies only insurance stuff, surely they will arrive soon and give out this is sexist as well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

robtri wrote: »
    mind you where is the sexist bunch who where giving out about the Ladies only insurance stuff, surely they will arrive soon and give out this is sexist as well

Yeah, this is what I was talking about earlier. If you look at the other thread, you can see that the company that was offering the ladies-only insurance also offered insurance to men, just under a different name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a spectacular POS, I wonder will there be much marketing of this brand, an effort to fool young kids in work (the few left!) to click that site and not bother with any other which they might assume will cost even more cos they are not aimed at "the lads"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

25 y/o on an M3csl with 5 years no claims, comprehensive. About €1500. now all I have to do is wait 3 years and don't crash into anyone with my 99 ford focus:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A few observations:

* Why does the Quick Quote have this question? "What sex is the proposer?"
    * Seems car has to be 2006 and younger.
    * It's Britton © 2011 BRITTON INSURANCE Ltd. All rights reserved

The smile on him like a velociraptor! :D

img2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

22, 1 year ncb, provisional, 2.0 Ford mondeo diesel.

Got quoted €1850 for fully comp and €1100 for TPFT.

I have been going over insure and nononsense.ie and its cheaper than both of them, well for TPFT anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

200 bills more expensive than what I have on 25plus.ie...

Plus they're based in Donegal - I don't trust anything car related from there!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

robtri wrote: »
    mind you where is the sexist bunch who where giving out about the Ladies only insurance stuff, surely they will arrive soon and give out this is sexist as well :rolleyes:
    It is extremely sexist, based off the figures being quoted here they seem to be more expensive than the competition, and have a €4000 excess, which seems like a complete rip-off. A rip-off targeted directly at men, hence sexist.

(happy now :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok well I just got a quote from them their website thats 300 euro less than my current insurance that I just renewed with only 250euro excess!

:eek:

ARGHGHGHHGHGGHHGHG
    F***K F**KING insurance companies....I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM I HATE THEM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Still wont quote for a skyline :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Still wont quote for a skyline :pac:

€1,907.83(Policy Excess: €4,000.00) on a 1999 R34 GTR V-Spec for me :p

biko wrote: »

img2.jpg

He's probably thinking of her draped over the bonnet and him losing his excess :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

18, 1 year NCB and full licence on a micra - €1,900

Currently paying €1,200 so no thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

€70 more than I'm currently paying:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A few observations:

* Why does the Quick Quote have this question? "What sex is the proposer?"
    * Seems car has to be 2006 and younger.
    * It's Britton © 2011 BRITTON INSURANCE Ltd. All rights reserved

img2.jpg

Maybe he's on a promise...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

img2.jpg

Whats he driving ??? Its green.
    I'll bet its a chavved up 1985 fiesta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

RoverJames wrote: »
    He's probably thinking of her draped over the bonnet and him losing his excess :pac:

I wouldnt mind losing my excess with her either..:p

They quoted me 900 euro for my poverty 07 Passat and I am 33..:D and 1400 for a Merc 600 sel that I can get for 300 with Campion. Thanks to Johnos..;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

img2.jpg

Is that a promo pic for a new RSA "He Drives, She Dies" TV ad? :D

However in this case both of them are sitting in the passenger seat gurning out of an open door at a camera so the car's not going anywhere and they are both safe. ;)

Just got a quote from them on a 1.0 Litre 05 Corsa, fully licenced with 6 years NCB- 350 euro more expensive than I'm paying with my current insurer. Thanks but no thanks, lads...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

Not bad €1686 for myself and the girlfriend on my imaginary F40 worth 80k parked out front :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

RoverJames wrote: »

I doubt it - if he's the same lad as in the first picture in this thread, he has his tongue pierced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

A few observations:

img2.jpg

I'd say he's just after dropping the hand and finding out she is minus nicks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Isn't it kinda odd that none of the 3 cars on pics on the main page are RHD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Oh and can't get a quote off them as they don't list my car on their site:o

Have also found other sites that I actually want a quote form don't list it either:mad:

who ever updates their vehicle database would want to get their finger out :mad:

(prob the lad in the pic:D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

refuse to use any company that can't spell 'for' right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1147, which is a lot less than I'm paying now but a lot more than Quinn want off me and similar to other quotes

I'm in the fortunate position of having a claim I no longer need to tell insurers about for this renewal, thats why there's nearly 700 quid between Quinn and my soon to expire premium!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

8 euro cheaper than my current quote with the same excess (250 euro)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Lads what is meant by excess?:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plug wrote: »
    Lads what is meant by excess?:o

The amount they won't pay you out for a first party claim. E.g. if the claim is for 3,999 on a 4,000 excess you get nothing, if its for 4,001 you get a euro, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Male
    4 years NCB
    3 years Full Licence

They wanted 3800 to insure an Integra Type R :eek:

Or a very reasonable 3750 TPFT!

I'm paying 1400 at the moment (TPFT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MYOB wrote: »
    The amount they won't pay you out for a first party claim. E.g. if the claim is for 3,999 on a 4,000 excess you get nothing, if its for 4,001 you get a euro, etc.
    Note they must pay out the full amount of any third party claim. They cannot apply an excess to a third party claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

€610 extra over what i'm paying now.

Cheap as chips.

Note they must pay out the full amount of any third party claim. They cannot apply an excess to a third party claim.

slightly misleading comments there. they will pay out the full amount to satisfy the legal obligation but will then pursue you for the 4k (and charge interest of 2.5% compounded per month until its paid)

otherwise a third party only policy with a normal insurer would be even cheaper than this one

http://www.xsdirect.ie/ihpolicy_document.pdf
    in the event of a third party claim, the Company will remain liable but the Company is entitled to recover the Excess Amount from the Insured.
    Interest on Excess Amount due to be paid/repaid to the Company shall accrue from the date when payment becomes due (the date when you are notified for payment) daily until the date of payment at a rate of 2.5% per calendar month and such interest shall compound monthly at such a rate after as well as before any judgment.

You are essentially paying for nothing then.

To satisfy the Road Traffic Act they have to pay out in full on 3rd party claims.

To satisfy the Road Traffic Act they have to pay out in full on 3rd party claims.
    exactly, you are paying for the disc (square) in the window.
    everyone knows (or needs to know) how this company works and what to expect should they be involved in a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

And they say they will do that, its just that you are then agreeing to let them chase you for the cost. Its essentially payment for a piece of paper and a year of risking €4k of your hard earned.

draffodx wrote: »
    risking €4k of your hard earned.

i would say its more risky than that, someone who signs up for this to save 500-1000 euro is, obviously, not just going to have 4k in their back pocket in the event of an accident. 2.5% per month is somewhere around 35% annually (forgive me if my calculations are slightly off!) meaning that, if you need just 6 months to get the cash together, you could be looking at another 600eu or thereabouts

It is a dangerous game to be playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭996tt

Its good value in certain instances, I know a lad who is insured by them, he has a very nice sunday car(which is locked up during the other 6days of the week) and puts very little miles on it. He is saving over EUR1k a year on his insurance.

He reckons if anything was to happen and he had to get the EUR4k quickly he would just draw down on his MBNA credit card (they offer a balance transfer to a current account interest free for the first 6months)

One thing to note though, as far as i know you dont earn a NCB with them, however again this might not be an issue for some people, the lad i know has a 2nd car so building up a 2nd NCB isnt really worth anything to him, esp not over 1k per year

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement