Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dealer Servicing Poll

• 09-07-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if I am allowed do this, fairly curious as to the result though. Want to try and figure out are Irish people really as awful as they are made out to be in servicing their vehicles. For the purposes of the poll, I am only interested in a FULL DEALER SERVICE HISTORY. If you are doing it yourself or getting it done with an indy mechanic, then feel free to comment, but it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread. Allowing multiple answers to cover different cars you've owned.

When you bought your used car, did it have a full service history? 53 votes

Car under 3 years old - Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Car under 3 years old - No
    18% 10 votes
    Car under 5 years old - Yes
    5% 3 votes
    Car under 5 years old - No
    32% 17 votes
    Car under 8 years old - Yes
    7% 4 votes
    Car under 8 years old - No
    11% 6 votes
    Car under 12 years old - Yes
    11% 6 votes
    Car under 12 years old - No
    13% 7 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You are making it sound a little like a full dealer service history is the only valid type of service history though.

A fully stamped and recorded service history means as much from reputable independent garages as from a main dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I agree with the above, putting a "main dealer service history" up on some kind of pedestal is a bit narrow minded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I've never had a car under 12 years old :pac:

Had a 23 year old car with every receipt and invoice from new though, if that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,776 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

You are making it sound a little like a full dealer service history is the only valid type of service history though.

A fully stamped and recorded service history means as much from reputable independent garages as from a main dealer.
    Not saying there is anything wrong with going the independent route whatsoever.

.................... For the purposes of the poll, I am only interested in a FULL DEALER SERVICE HISTORY. If you are doing it yourself or getting it done with an indy mechanic, then feel free to comment, but it doesn't count for the purposes of this thread....................
    Not saying there is anything wrong with going the independent route whatsoever.

You'd want to amend the OP so because it seems to me that you don't reckon a car with full non dealer history is entitled a vote whereas a main dealer serviced one is.

Poll is therefore pure and utter bullpoo as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In some cases (Alfa Romeo being a prime example) i'd argue that it means more.

Anan1 wrote: »
    In some cases (Alfa Romeo being a prime example) i'd argue that it means more.

Or BMW, since in the case of many 2.0d BMW's, a full dealer history will mean that the breather filter was never changed:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Or BMW, since in the case of many 2.0d BMW's, a full dealer history will mean that the breather filter was never changed:eek:
    OT, but would a BMW dealer even replace it when replacing the turbo? My mother's 320d had a new turbo under warranty last year, and i'm wondering whether it might still never have been done.

Anan1 wrote: »
    OT, but would a BMW dealer even replace it when replacing the turbo? My mother's 320d had a new turbo under warranty last year, and i'm wondering whether it might still never have been done.

I'd like to say I'm convinced it would be. I have seen one 320d recently that had its turbo replaced by a BMW dealer and they hadn't even removed the intercooler and piping to clean them. The I/C was still full of oil!:rolleyes:

RoverJames wrote: »
    You'd want to amend the OP so because it seems to me that you don't reckon a car with full non dealer history is entitled a vote whereas a main dealer serviced one is.

Poll is therefore pure and utter bullpoo as is.
    How do you verify a non dealer history? I could easily get a load of invoices and receipts and get give a buyer a friends number claiming it was serviced on the button.

• Advertisement

How do you verify a non dealer history? I could easily get a load of invoices and receipts and get give a buyer a friends number claiming it was serviced on the button.

Independent garage does not mean back street garage. Any decent independent garage will have all their customers service history/work records on file just as a main dealer does.

So the phone number would be on the invoices?

Independent garage does not mean back street garage. Any decent independent garage will have all their customers service history/work records on file just as a main dealer does.
    Easily open to abuse. At least with a main dealer, they have a franchise to protect.

RoverJames wrote: »
    So the phone number would be on the invoices?
    Get a mate at a garage to print off some invoices, let him know he might be getting a call from a buyer. Job done.

Easily open to abuse. At least with a main dealer, they have a franchise to protect.

In what way? As with most companies, invoices can't be created/printed for parts that haven't been sold. If this was done, then figures and stock would be incorrect.

Again I think you are assuming that 'independent garage' means a guy(or mate) in a shed down a lane or whatever.

These days, assuming that there is some difference in quality between reputable independents and main dealers is naive at best. New car warranties are not even effected by having your car serviced by an independent garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I remember when I got my car first and had zero knowledge of it compared to the amount I know now and brought it to a BMW dealer to look at a non functioning rear window. They wanted my credit card details and €80 on the spot just to diagnose the problem.

4 years on and I replaced a front regulator myself for €75 and an hour of my time. Dealer costs of premium brands are absolutely off the wall, as long as a car had a decent independent history I would be more than happy. Its good to see a dealer history for the first few years so you know it got its proper interval checks and any software updates, but after that as long as it has a service history, the main dealer thing is trivial.

In what way? As with most companies, invoices can't be created/printed for parts that haven't been sold. If this was done, then figures and stock would be incorrect.

Again I think you are assuming that 'independent garage' means a guy(or mate) in a shed down a lane or whatever.

These days, assuming that there is some difference in quality between reputable independents and main dealers is naive at best. New car warranties are not even effected by having your car serviced by an independent garage.
    Ah come on now. Paper records without some kind of centralised inventory system aren't worth nothing. At least if you're buying with service history from a franchised dealer, then they aren't far less likely to try and fiddle you. I doubt VW/Ford/etc would take too kind to their name being sullied by their franchisee falsifying service histories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

My car is serviced by a BMW indy, he provides proper invoices for all work done, stamps the service book and has it all on file for any future buyer to enquire about.

The main differences I can see between him and a main dealer is that I am a regular customer so he knows my car, and he doesn't expect me to pay for the upkeeping of a glass palace, tea & coffee or the manufacturer's logo on his work overalls.

Get a mate at a garage to print off some invoices, let him know he might be getting a call from a buyer. Job done.

Print off some invoices?
    From a mate at a garage?

Backdating a full service history presumably?

Not overly likely really is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

In the past I've paid for so called Main Dealer servicing to ensure that the car was fully serviced to manufacturers guideleines etc. Only in reality a few years later with hindsight found out that the most they might have done was an oil change, and washed/scratched the car, making you believe they had done a great job. And as for BMW service inclusive, what a load of rubbish.

Far better to find a decent Independant who knows what they are doing, who at least cares about their work, reputation and is interested in repeat work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

I don't think it's fair to write off all Indy mechanics just because your going to meet the of dodgy scumbag along the way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

Its places like here on boards that Joe Public finally realise the poor value offered by main dealers.

Indy Pro's: Cheaper, better quality, cheaper OEM quality parts, usually long-term qualified mechanics, better full once-over
    Indy Con's: No [main dealer] Service stamp (wow :rolleyes:)

Main Dealer Pro's: A [main dealer] service stamp - yup, thats it.
    Main Dealer Con's: Dearer (that green-house wont to pay for itself!), negligible service quality as they dont give the car the full once over - only the basics on the check-list, over priced parts, probably an apprentice doing the basic service work.

So the Poll is very poor and unfair so I didn't vote

mullingar wrote: »
    Its places like here on boards that Joe Public finally realise the poor value offered by main dealers.

Indy Pro's: Cheaper, better quality, cheaper OEM quality parts, usually long-term qualified mechanics, better full once-over
    Indy Con's: No Service stamp (wow :rolleyes:)

Main Dealer Pro's: A service stamp - yup, thats it.
    Main Dealer Con's: Dearer (that green-house wont to pay for itself!), negligible service quality as they dont give the car the full once over - only the basics on the check-list, over priced parts, probably an apprentice doing the basic service work.

So the Poll is very poor and unfair so I didn't vote

You'll always get a service stamp in a decent indy.

Ah come on now. Paper records without some kind of centralised inventory system aren't worth nothing. At least if you're buying with service history from a franchised dealer, then they aren't far less likely to try and fiddle you. I doubt VW/Ford/etc would take too kind to their name being sullied by their franchisee falsifying service histories.

I still think you are thinking of the wrong thing when you are talking this way about independent garages.

Larger reputable independent garages are exactly the same as main dealers with regards to quality of service/mechanics/training/records/stock etc etc. The only difference to the way they operate is they don't have a manufacturer name over the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,932 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem with the whole "get a decent indy" thing is not everyone knows one, or what makes one decent (especially if they're not mechanically minded) etc

Plus there's the risk that if you get a bad one, you could be up a creek trying to get it sorted whereas in theory, with a main dealer you have more comeback and the option of going to the manufacturer if needed. I bought my last Passat from an "indy dealer" who then got a Fiat franchise but in both cases it was a disaster trying to get things sorted.

What's needed here is a up-to-date list of these "decent indy's" and their locations and then maybe people would be willing to take the chance.

EDIT: oh and I forgot that if anything serious goes wrong or there's a recall, you may have more trouble convincing the dealer that your "decent indy" did indeed service it to "manufacturer specifications" even if in fact he did it better again. At least with a dealer history they can't throw that one at you.

Advertisement