Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is This Garmin Dead?

• 22-06-2014 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi,

My Garmin Edge 705 is no longer recognised by my PC. I've tried different USB ports and cables but the PC keeps giving me an error and won't recognsie it. Otherwise it is functioning fine, it still has all the information and will record rides.

I think there might have been a bit of wet around the Garmin connection port, is this the problem?

If it is dead, is there anyway I can get may last couple of rides off it using the Micro card port or the wireless function? I'd really like to get my last rides off at the least.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Could it be the pc instead. I know I had problems with my old dell laptop. The laptop won't recognise it. However worked fine with my new mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I've started having this issue with my edge 500 as well. Garmin connect will see and upload but when you try to upload via strava it doesn't it but the funny thing is that if you manually browse the garmin and then upload the file it works. Very annoying though and only started within the past week.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭hueylewis

bazermc wrote: »
    Could it be the pc instead. I know I had problems with my old dell laptop. The laptop won't recognise it. However worked fine with my new mac.

Could be. OP, maybe you've already tried this, but if you go to Device Manager on your PC and connect the garmin, it should appear somewhere on the list after an auto-refresh or two. If Windows is having issues with it, it should have a yellow triangle on it. You could try right clicking it from that list and disabling then enabling it (always worth a punt), or uninstall it, then disconnect and reconnect it, then install the driver software again (or let Windows try to auto-install the appropriate software).

Or it could be a fault with the device itself, like you said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

No luck I'm afraid.

Is there any method that I could back up my data on to the SD card. You can copy Saved Rides to the SD card but nothing else it seems. Any ideas? Can you make a ride in the history a saved ride and then copy it?

I suppose the only other option is if I can wirelessly transfer the files to a new Garmin if the 705 is compatible with a newer model to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Moreilly

my garmin device would not connect either the other day, it happened just after my browser updated (firefox). apparently the updated version was blocking the plug in. unblocked it and it started working again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭cheerspal

My brand new 810 did the same after 3 weeks. It's got a bit wet on the Wicklow 200. You need to do the following:

To force the unit to mass storage:
    1. Turn the unit off
    2. Hold the PAGE/MENU/ENTER button (bottom left) down
    3. Plug the unit into USB while still holding down the MENU button
    4. Your device will eventually go to mass storage

You can copy your rides then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

talk to Garmin Uk, they replaced a unit for me.

Advertisement