Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What level am I at comparing to you guys?

Options
  • 20-06-2014 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Well I was out on my bike for about the 6th time tonight I've a fairly high level of fitness overall but I'm just wonderin what level I'm at in cycling. I know it's low but I'm just wonderin if anyone can elaborate a bit givin the time/distance/avgspd below. Thanks in advance :-)

Distance 41km
    Time 1:19
    AvgSpd: 31.1
    TopSpd 50.1

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Depends on a lot of things. Was it uphill/downhill? Was there a head wind/tail wind? Looks good otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Keep it up and you're bound to improve. Everyone has to start somewhere.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Well I went 20k turned and came back and it was a fairly calm night. Felt like a head wind both ways ha so am I a far away from completing a Mizen to malin in 5 Days? Fitness wise? 80mile per day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Well I was out on my bike for about the 6th time tonight I've a fairly high level of fitness overall but I'm just wonderin what level I'm at in cycling. I know it's low but I'm just wonderin if anyone can elaborate a bit givin the time/distance/avgspd below. Thanks in advance :-)

Distance 41km
    Time 1:19
    AvgSpd: 31.1
    TopSpd 50.1

Sounds good.

What ever happens don't be tempted to go for a swim beforehand and run after

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭padjo5

Depends, If you did that on a mountain bike then yer an animal! If on a racer on reasonably flattish terrain then I would say you are at a reasonably high level. Sure what difference does it make anyway, as long as it's enjoyable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Done it on a giant racer paid 850 euro for it. Has carbon fiber forks I'm told. Haven't changed anything else it's all standard. That will soon change though, seriously thinkin about a gel cover for the saddle. The auld backside is in tatters here :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

Download Strava to your phone and run it next time you go for a spin. Your performance on the segments will give you some idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Done it on a giant racer paid 850 euro for it. Has carbon fiber forks I'm told. Haven't changed anything else it's all standard. That will soon change though, seriously thinkin about a gel cover for the saddle. The auld backside is in tatters here :-D

Pack yer bags, I think there are some top amateur french clubs scouting boards!!

Invest in something like this, you'll never want to get off!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race-cycling-bib-short/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭seany15

seriously thinkin about a gel cover for the saddle.

invest in a decent pair if bib shorts if you're going to be cycling regularly. Much better for the backside than a gel saddle with regular shorts/trousers

Thanks. Much appreciated, some people are very reluctant to share advice with beginners. Ye could be out in a pair of dungarees and hobnail boots and lads be in their Gucci gear and wouldn say a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

padjo5 wrote: »
    Invest in something like this, you'll never want to get off!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-race-cycling-bib-short/

Are they actually that good?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Thanks. Much appreciated, some people are very reluctant to share advice with beginners. Ye could be out in a pair of dungarees and hobnail boots and lads be in their Gucci gear and wouldn say a thing.

Ya, definitely get some Gucci shorts. They'll add about 5kph straight away

Zyzz wrote: »

To say that you'll never want to get off might be stretching it a bit but I find them really comfy yeah! nice and 'huggy' with a decent padding. Make ya feel like a pro!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah you have to ask for it really. There's no way I'm going to pull up beside some random cyclist and tell them all about what they're doing wrong. No quicker way to come off as a complete asshole :)

If something seems way off, like a soft tyre or an open quick-release, then I'll have a chat, but outside of that I'll leave them to their own devices. Unless I'm leading a club spin, where it's ok to hand out advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭purple cow

Zyzz wrote: »

Have a pair of those bibs. Recommend highly.

BTW OP - 31kmh is a good average speed on the flat in my opinion. +1 on using Strava. Was seriously pleased when I managed an 8th best speed over a 1km segment recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

seamus wrote: »
    Ah you have to ask for it really. There's no way I'm going to pull up beside some random cyclist and tell them all about what they're doing wrong. No quicker way to come off as a complete asshole :)

If something seems way off, like a soft tyre or an open quick-release, then I'll have a chat, but outside of that I'll leave them to their own devices. Unless I'm leading a club spin, where it's ok to hand out advice.
    And you wouldn't want to be taking advice anyway from some guys who think they know quite a lot.

Advertisement