Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lyric Tattoos

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I don't like Neil Diamond so, yes.

What's Neil Diamond got to do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What's Neil Diamond got to do with it?

sorry, meant Young :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Indeed, better to burn out and leave your infant daughter fatherless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Yes, a self loathing smackhead's excuse for blowing his brains out really was a much better fit for that lyric than Neil Young's mediation on his relevance in a rapidly changing music industry.

And Cobain must have missed the line that says "once you're gone, you can never come back"

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

...Aaand now the thread has been ruined for everyone

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Okay.....

I quite like this idea of getting the notation of the part of the song the lyrics are from. That's not a great picture but you get the idea.

music-tattoo-designs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I don't think I'd get a lyric tattoo, for the sole reason that I couldn't possibly pick out a single lyric that deserved, more than any other, to be permanently inked on my skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I wouldn't get it done, the song might mean something to you at the time, but a few annoying car adverts, a romantic comedy ost or an inverview with the lyricist in which they explain the meaning could spoil/alter it for you.

I guess, for lots of people, it is as much about how you felt when you originally got the tattoo but for me the notion of the lyric-tattoo doesn't have an appeal. I'd want ownership of any image/words branded on my self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

If I were to get words tattooed onto myself it would probably be the line from Kurt Cobain's suicide note "it's better to burn out that to fade away."
    Don't really feel the need to get it written on my skin though :p I want a scarab beetle as a tattoo :cool:
    That was Neil Young originally no?

I have
    "once i thought i saw you, in a crowded hazy bar"
    From Neil Youngs 'Like a Hurricane' tattoo'd on my back. It's mine and my fiances song. If I were to get every lyric that was significant my body would be like a book!

2011-07-28122814.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

Okay.....

I quite like this idea of getting the notation of the part of the song the lyrics are from. That's not a great picture but you get the idea.

music-tattoo-designs.jpg

I'm not going to comment on the idea, but that tattoo is musically incorrect. I'm not sure what the fourth note there is, but it's either a 16th note, which means that the bar only has 14 sixteenth notes, or an 8th note, which means only 15. Either way, a 4/4 bar should have 16 sixteenth notes to the bar. I think whoever wrote the music down had trouble with getting it right- it's a sneakily tough piece to notate, with the verses in 7/4 and the chorus in either 12/8 or 4/4 with triplets depending on who you ask...

-Tyler

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Encie

I think the first 8th note is meant to be dotted? But I agree with the hard to notate. We sung this piece with a choir at a wedding a couple weeks ago, it was all quavers though(with the last quaver tied to a crotchet, ofc)

Encie wrote: »
    I think the first 8th note is meant to be dotted?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It'd be fairly easy to fix, actually, just add the dot. Still a little disconcerting to get something permanent that turns out to be wrong. Sort of like Hayden Panettierre, who has "vivere senza rimipianti" tatooed on her. It's supposed to mean "live without regrets" in Italian, but "rimpianti" (regrets) is spelled wrong... Whoops.

-Tyler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Why would you get a tattoo in a language that you don't understand? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

tattoo.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement