Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James McClean

• 08-01-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭

Just scored for Sunderland again.
    I'm sure he will get a Call up for the Republic soon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

MD1990 wrote: »
    Just scored for Sunderland again.
    I'm sure he will get a Call up for the Republic soon
    He played for N.Ireland a few times at U21 level a year or 2 ago so I don't know if he'll want to play for ROI over NI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

He declared for the ROI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I was just about to start a thread on him myself.

He has to be the most exciting young Irish player I have seen for 10-15 years, maybe ever. All the qualities of a flying continental winger... I guess he will have no place in Trap's plans so! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

21 for Peterboro is a superb player too. Daniel Kearns another nordie who picked Ireland.

But hes an attacker :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SUNDERLAND winger James McClean will pursue his international ambitions with the Republic of Ireland.

New Northern Ireland boss Michael O’Neill hoped to persuade the former Derry City man to return to the NI fold, having rejected a senior call-up in August under former boss Nigel Worthington.

But McClean is standing by his decision to walk away from his home country, despite winning youth and U21 caps for Northern Ireland.

McClean said: “I have declared myself for the Republic.

“That’s where I see my (international) future. If I don’t get called up, then I’ll live with that but I have confidence in my own ability that I will get a call-up at some stage with the Republic of Ireland.

“Hopefully this now puts this matter to bed.”

McClean has spoken to O’Neill, but the player added: “He rang me just to congratulate me about how the last two games (for Sunderland) have gone and to see how I’m getting on.

“He said he would keep in touch with me and he’ll call up and see me, which I appreciate, but I just want to put the Northern Ireland thing to bed now.”

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/chris-young-column/james_mcclean_will_stick_to_republic_ambitions_1_4118027

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Plays great for Derry consistently - Who?

Scores 2 goals for Sunderland - Best player ever!

;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

McClean was part of the Northern Ireland team that won the Milk Cup in 2008 and scored in the opening game in a 3–1 against the USA. He has also represented Northern Ireland seven times at Under 21 level. On 26 July 2011 he was called up to the Northern Ireland senior squad for the match against the Faroe Islands on 10 August 2011. McClean decided to wait for selection by the Republic of Ireland and therefore pulled out of the Northern Ireland squad. In January 2012 he again confirmed he would not be reconsidering his decision even though the Northern Ireland manager Michael O'Neill had been in contact
    from wikipedia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

SUNDERLAND winger James McClean will pursue his international ambitions with the Republic of Ireland.

New Northern Ireland boss Michael O’Neill hoped to persuade the former Derry City man to return to the NI fold, having rejected a senior call-up in August under former boss Nigel Worthington.

But McClean is standing by his decision to walk away from his home country, despite winning youth and U21 caps for Northern Ireland.

“That’s where I see my (international) future. If I don’t get called up, then I’ll live with that but I have confidence in my own ability that I will get a call-up at some stage with the Republic of Ireland.

McClean has spoken to O’Neill, but the player added: “He rang me just to congratulate me about how the last two games (for Sunderland) have gone and to see how I’m getting on.

“He said he would keep in touch with me and he’ll call up and see me, which I appreciate, but I just want to put the Northern Ireland thing to bed now.”

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/chris-young-column/james_mcclean_will_stick_to_republic_ambitions_1_4118027

Thats hardly a fair way to put it is it? Pretty certain he doesn't see it that way, vast majority of nationalists I know would regard the ROI as their home team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,476 ✭✭✭✭cson

Another who's doing pretty well is Anthony Pilkington for Norwich.

These are the guys we should be getting involved as they're the basis for our future.

Hopefully Enda Stevens can progress at Villa too, we could do with a left back. Speaking of Villa, Ciaran Clark scored yesterday... all is not too bad I guess for the talent coming through :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    He has to be the most exciting young Irish player I have seen for 10-15 years, maybe ever.
    Damien duff and robbie keane both made debuts around 15 years ago, id argue they were slightly more exciting prospects!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

cson wrote: »

These are the guys we should be getting involved as they're the basis for our future.

Hopefully Enda Stevens can progress at Villa too, we could do with a left back. Speaking of Villa, Ciaran Clark scored yesterday... all is not too bad I guess for the talent coming through :)
    Shane Long doing well too with West Brom i know he isnt that young
    Robbie Brady os also a good talent doing well at Hull

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

He declared for the ROI

Didn't know that. Good news imo. Only seen him a few times, first time he came on as a sub in MON first game in charge of S'land and I was impressed.

Seems to have bagged a place in the team now. 3rd game seeing him today and he looks a decent prospect.

I'd have him on the plane for Poland ahead of Keogh already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

**NEWSFLASH** People with Irish passports are deciding to play for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Lucan Bohs

After seeing how he's prospered at Sunderland I'm going to treasure the time I saw him play in the flesh before he became well known. Unsurprisingly scored a cracker that day, he calmly slotted the ball under Barry Murphy after excellent build play from the Derry midfield!

Lucan Bohs wrote: »
    After seeing how he's prospered at Sunderland I'm going to treasure the time I saw him play in the flesh before he became well known. Unsurprisingly scored a cracker that day, he calmly slotted the ball under Barry Murphy after excellent build play from the Derry midfield!
    Yeah I remmeber that goal, fantastic move... bastard :p

As opposed to the Irish guy Wes Hoolahan who plays alongside him.

Can we at least call up the good IRISH players first.

As opposed to the Irish guy Wes Hoolahan who plays alongside him.

Can we at least call up the good IRISH players first.

Pilkington has played for the U-21s.

Thread is about James McClean a promising talent doing well ergo I slipped in Pilklington another promising talent doing well.

Wes has earned a call up but he's in the prime of his career at the moment hence he wasn't included.

Context, context, context. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

There must be some great players in the league from which they got that lad McClean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

He has to be the most exciting young Irish player I have seen for 10-15 years, maybe ever.:

You could have seen him play (in the very country he has declared for) in the flesh for the price of 3 or 4 pints until last year.

BOHtox wrote: »
    There must be some great players in whatever league they got that lad McClean from

Probably getting more exposure now thanks to the success of Doyle and Long making the jump which is great for the clubs here [from a financial perspective] and the international team.

McLeish seems to have his eye on the League anyway in the last couple of years bringing Fahey and Stevens over.

• Advertisement

From Wiki on Pilkington

International career
    He received a call-up to the Republic of Ireland under-21 squad in October 2008; not knowing he was eligible to play for Republic of Ireland national sides until a scout enquired of his availability. He qualifies through his paternal grandmother from Dublin but has not yet declared his national side, so may still play for the English national team despite playing for the Republic of Ireland under-21s. He played in the 3–0 away victory over Lithuania, where he impressed and even hit the woodwork.[11] Giovanni Trapattoni and Marco Tardelli were reported to have been keeping an eye on him ahead of Ireland's participation in UEFA Euro 2012.[12].

From Wiki on Pilkington

Do we want this sort of player.

A Bilbao basque-esque rhetoric is commendable but its no coincidence that our most successful periods internationally have culminated with the integration of ex-pats into the side - the likes of Houghton, Aldridge and Cascarino.

One of the most committed players ever to wear the green jersey wasn't even born here. And tbqh I'd take 11 players with Kevin Kilbane's mindset over a born and bred 'Irishman' like Stephen Ireland anyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Plays great for Derry consistently - Who?

Scores 2 goals for Sunderland - Best player ever!

;)

Dont forget the hype he was getting in the summer cup in the Avaya when he played for the Artricy League

A Bilbao basque-esque rhetoric is commendable but its no coincidence that our most successful periods internationally have culminated with the integration of ex-pats into the side - the likes of Houghton, Aldridge and Cascarino.

One of the most committed players ever to wear the green jersey wasn't even born here. And tbqh I'd take 11 players with Kevin Kilbane's mindset over a born and bred 'Irishman' like Stephen Ireland anyday.

Agreed.Point I am making is that Pilkington is 23,he wasnt aware that he was eligable to play for Ireland and is now effectively holding out for England which is fine because he is English.Same as Jamie O Hara.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,946 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Between Clark, Stevens and Craig Cunningham, we're not gonna be short of a few left backs in time.

Ward is only 26 as well

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Between Clark, Stevens and Craig Cunningham, we're not gonna be short of a few left backs in time.

*Greg Cunningham ;)

@ScienceNerd; Ward is the best we have at the moment but I don't think he's international quality. Scored a good goal though over Xmas.

Mars Bar wrote: »

Shur have'nt we Marc Wilson who plays regularly in the premiership who can play right back/left back/central midfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Wilson_(Irish_footballer)

He's been a poor enough in some of his his competitive outings for Ireland so far admittedly, I still think he can come good though. Bit harsh rule him out after a few games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Clark isn't a left back either. Centre back or centre mid, and good at both.

Advertisement