Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Residents at Athlone asylum seekers centre refusing to eat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

walshb wrote: »
    Rank food being one such inadequacy...:confused:

Rank food isn't inadequate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,628 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nodin wrote: »
    Rank food isn't inadequate?

It is inadequate "if" it's rank!

Having to queue now is seen as inhumane. Sharing space with others is seen as inhumane. Unreal. You couldn't make it up. The government need to speak to Carlsberg. They don't do asylum applications and centres, but if they did....That indo link is a joke.

The process whereby the people are left in limbo waiting on a decision is pathetic. This I think we can all agree upon. BTW, how about the appeals process? How long can an asylum seeker keep fighting an order to deport them? That's a shambles too.

What's the solution to the below piece? Let them roam free and do as they please? Have no rules and regulations and guidelines?

"Because there is limited choice of food, movement and shared living space, curfews and a restriction on visitors to the centres, it is claimed the system breaches the right to private and family life in Article 8 of the Convention of Human Rights. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/liz-odonnell/ireland-must-change-our-treatment-of-asylum-seekers-30461099.html#sthash.f06OkrBq.dpuf"

Having to queue now (..............) claimed the system breaches the right to private and family life in Article 8 of the Convention of Human Rights. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/liz-odonnell/ireland-must-change-our-treatment-of-asylum-seekers-30461099.html#sthash.f06OkrBq.dpuf"

It seems regardless of what complaint is made, it will be rubbished.

Better choice of food, more freedom of movement, an end to overcrowding, less restrictions. Its not that hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

dont think they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Better choice of food, more freedom of movement, an end to overcrowding, less restrictions. Its not that hard.
    It's not even just about the choice of food either, in a lot of the centres they're not allowed to prepare their own food, assuming they could even afford to buy food. No doubt they should be grateful for not having to cook for 4 or 5 years though.

It seems regardless of what complaint is made, it will be rubbished.

Yes, and seems that no matter what we do it will be met with a dissenting voice from some. Can't please all the people all the time.

Maybe we could source all the foods of the world just so they have what they want? Have every kind of diet available.

It's not even just about the choice of food either, in a lot of the centres they're not allowed to prepare their own food, assuming they could even afford to buy food. No doubt they should be grateful for not having to cook for 4 or 5 years though.

They don't have to bloody worry about buying anything. Everything is provided free of charge.

Yes, and seems that no matter what we do it will be met with a dissenting voice from some. Can't please all the people all the time.

Maybe we could source all the foods of the world just so they have what they want? Have every kind of diet available.

Let's cut to the chase here. You resent their presence in the country and will begrudge them anything and everything.

• Advertisement

They don't have to bloody worry about buying anything. Everything is provided free of charge.
    Why do you think so many people are taking issue with direct provision system if it's all as great as you appear to think it is? Can you honestly not see a problem with denying people the right to cook for themselves and their families for years?

Let's cut to the chase here. You resent their presence in the country and will begrudge them anything and everything.

If you say so.

Why do you think so many people are taking issue with direct provision system if it's all as great as you appear to think it is? Can you honestly not see a problem with denying people the right to cook for themselves and their families for years?

I never said the system was great. It can hardly be great. It's an asylum situation. Great is subjective. You seem to want a free for all. No rules or regulations. That's ridiculous. The rules are there for a reason. Any rule that an asylum group moan and complain about and you will probably jump on and slate the system.

I never said the system was great. It can hardly be great. It's an asylum situation. Great is subjective.
    Your sarcastic dismissal of any complaints that are presented in this thread would appear to suggest you think otherwise.
    You seem to want a free for all. No rules or regulations. That's ridiculous. The rules are there for a reason.
    Where have I said anything approaching that?
    Any rule that an asylum group moan and complain about and you will probably jump on and slate the system.
    When it's unjust I will, yes and I don't see a problem with that.

Where have I said anything approaching that?

t.

So far you are complaining about the "restrictions" placed on the asylum seekers.

Hence I reckon you will juts latch onto their complaints for the sake of it. Like some politicians do. Not out of a sense of caring, but more out of something to get them noticed.

Your sarcastic dismissal of any complaints that are presented in this thread would appear to suggest you think otherwise.

Nothing sarcastic. Just straight dismissal on some issues raised. Not on everything relating to their complaining.

So far you are complaining about the "restrictions" placed on the asylum seekers.
    So basically you can't then.
    Hence I reckon you will juts latch onto their complaints for the sake of it. Like some politicians do. Not out of a sense of caring, but more out of something to get them noticed.
    Why would I do any of that? Is this the best you can really come up with? You could actually try to engage with what people are saying rather than just lobbing stupid and baseless accusations around.

Nothing sarcastic. Just straight dismissal on some issues raised. Not on everything relating to their complaining.
    You're dismissing everything. Do you see a problem with this situation? http://www.childlawproject.ie/publications/eco-for-8-year-old-born-and-reared-in-direct-provision-centre/
    An emergency care order was granted in for an eight-year-old child asylum-seeker living in a direct provision centre, where she had been born. She was later reunited with her mother. In making orders in the case the judge commented that the child had spent her entire life in direct provision, which “seemed inappropriate”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You're dismissing everything. Do you see a problem with this situation? http://www.childlawproject.ie/publications/eco-for-8-year-old-born-and-reared-in-direct-provision-centre/

One cannot dismiss such situations,and I don't see anybody posting here suggesting this ?

However I see other elements at play here too,which go to theheart of this Asylum process of ours.
    The mother was also going through the process of applying for residency status but continued to live in direct provision, where the child, who was now eight, had been born.

Obviously the Court proceedings are designed to provide a degree of anonymity to this unfortunate child.
    Her mother, also an asylum-seeker, was in the process of being involuntarily admitted into a psychiatric hospital under Section 5 of the Mental Health Act. The woman’s mental health state had been of concern for some time, she had been in hospital before and had stopped taking her medication.

I am curious as to the later use of the term"Residency Status" as opposed to "Asylum.

Is it the case that both Mother and Child are now seperately applying for this status ?

Is there a Father in any way involved in the situation ?

Either way,the Irish State is obviously allocating some considerable resources to this unfortunate Individual and her chile,which have to be funded by somebody else.

In some ways,this woman is indeed very fortunate to have chosen Ireland as her destination ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    One cannot dismiss such situations,and I don't see anybody posting here suggesting this ?

However I see other elements at play here too,which go to theheart of this Asylum process of ours.

Obviously the Court proceedings are designed to provide a degree of anonymity to this unfortunate child.

I am curious as to the later use of the term"Residency Status" as opposed to "Asylum.

Is it the case that both Mother and Child are now seperately applying for this status ?

Is there a Father in any way involved in the situation ?

Either way,the Irish State is obviously allocating some considerable resources to this unfortunate Individual and her chile,which have to be funded by somebody else.

In some ways,this woman is indeed very fortunate to have chosen Ireland as her destination ?

How?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It seems every countries asylum policy has come into criticism form time to time and Ireland is no different however, people need to keep perspective on the big picture here. Living in Ireland even in a prefab is much better than living in a tent in some desert. The constant referrals about 'how bad we are' perpetuated by some sections of the media and tax payer funded ivory tower quangos is just another extension of the Irish inferiority complex.

How?

I'm quite confident that the article can be read,and interpreted sensibly by those who are of a mind to do so.

I,m happy that this unfortunate child has been removed to a place of safety,and equally happy that the Gardai,who,regularly,are held-up as unfeeling agents of our "Failed" Asylum System acted decisively to protect both Parent and Child.

So,AFAIAC,our "defective","broken","oppressive" system performed as well as we could expect it on this occasion.

You,and anybody else,are entitled to perceive otherwise.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Social Workers/Gardai/Psychiatrists/Judges all on hand to help the woman and child as best they could. All paid for by the state. Maybe the problem in this case is the asylum seeker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Thread is pointless without a menu/bill of fare from the centre in question.

I'm quite confident that the article can be read,and interpreted sensibly by those who are of a mind to do so.

I,m happy that this unfortunate child has been removed to a place of safety,and equally happy that the Gardai,who,regularly,are held-up as unfeeling agents of our "Failed" Asylum System acted decisively to protect both Parent and Child.

So,AFAIAC,our "defective","broken","oppressive" system performed as well as we could expect it on this occasion.

You,and anybody else,are entitled to perceive otherwise.

So you're just making snide snipes at the contention of the OP and asylum seekers generally then. Fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

That's a reasonably common occurrence.

A child's residency can flow from a parent's application for residence subsequent to the failure of the parent's claims for Protection, or can flow to the mother on foot of a child's claim, before a child's Protection claim is exhausted.

The above is one reason for inordinate delays in the Direct Provision system. What will happen is the mother (ordinarily) will make an asylum claim, and at some later stage a child will appear, in respect of whom a fresh claim for asylum will be made, which may be heard, and appealed, and appealed, and appealed again, separate to the mother's claim and the mother's various appeals, should the mother be rejected.

It's a ridiculously long process, partially because of the State, but massively, because of messers.

So you're just making snide snipes at the contention of the OP and asylum seekers generally then. Fair enough.

Again,I'm afraid I have to suggest that is YOUR interpretation.
    It's noticeable that your own responses to many Posters on a wide range of topics,generally appear to be single line or word with the occasional supporting allegation of snideness,or guff or whatever.

Many posters here,(Myself included) have slightly more difficulty in condensing their thoughts and views into small,concise sentences simply to satisfy one other posters desire.

Pointing out that the Woman in Frank Grimes's linked article is indeed fortunate to have landed in Ireland is far from snide sniping,as for a great many people it is merely stating the obvious.

Pointing out that the Woman in Frank Grimes's linked article is indeed fortunate to have landed in Ireland is far from snide sniping,as for a great many people it is merely stating the obvious.

Sniping
    I am curious as to the later use of the term"Residency Status" as opposed to
    "Asylum.

Is it the case that both Mother and Child are now seperately
    applying for this status ?

Is there a Father in any way involved in the
    situation ?

...as is the suggestion that she's fortunate to have landed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

She could have easily arrived in the UK had her baby adopted by court order then the mother deported

• Advertisement

Sniping

Valid questioning = Sniping ?

If it keeps you happy,then term it whatever you like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

"You don't agree with my point of view" = sniping.
    Welcome to the world of the ad hominem

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD REMINDER:
    Please focus on making meaningful contributions to the thread topic, and not each other. Furthermore, some of the comments in this thread are beginning to look like backseat modding. I would strongly recommend that you stop doing this, and get back on topic.

Sniping

On mature reflection,I'd replace the word "suggestion" with "statement".

A reading of the latest drop in the drip-feed of accusations against the "System" appears to confirm that the Athlone occurrence is part of a campaign devised and managed by somebody with a bit of media savvy.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/children-are-intimidated-in-asylum-seeker-food-boycott-30581533.html

A rather effective attention grabbing headline.

Luckily for "us" this intimidation appears to have been carried out by the residents themselves on their own children,which perhaps merits further investigation on it's own merits.
    Two children were intimidated by adult asylum seekers into handing back their lunch as part of a food boycott in a direct provision centre.

Were these two children (and their parents NOT participating in the protest ?).

Of somewhat equal interest is the dawning realization that this media manipulation is an orchestrated occurence....
    The boycott was carried out by residents in a number of provision centres around the country as part of a campaign by asylum seekers to be moved into houses and given the right to work.

Fresh protests are due to be launched in another centre today amid claims that assaults on staff have increased in recent weeks.

Immigration officials fear that "outside influences" are partly responsible for the growing tension within the centres.

I note the first appearance of a non-food related issue here too,with a call for people to be "Moved into Houses".....a belated appearance of a parallell agenda ?

I would also be quite interested at hearing about the "Outisde Influences" from a less biased source than the reports we have thus far.

Good to see also,that the real nub of the issue is reported in the article...
    Some 800 deportation orders have been signed by ministers for justice but implementation of orders has slowed down.

As a matter of course,the outstanding Depo-orders should be acted upon immediately,with whatever resources required to get these people gone.

Then we can set about getting the Asylum System back working at it's intended rate,rather than watching it collapse under the weight of vexatious applications.

Welcome reference to our Nation not being the "worst" in how it deals with these applications....
    Some EU states hold their asylum seekers for lengthy periods in special detention centres. But Ireland does not operate detention centres as a matter of policy.

The signs are however,that we don't have the luxury of time in which to address this manufactured "crisis",as the clouds are once again gathering...
    Despite the complaints about the direct provision scheme here, there has been a big surge in the number of asylum applications recently.

New figures show a 40pc increase in applications for the first eight months of the year, compared to the corresponding period last year, up from 607 to 854. Last July's monthly total of 131 was the highest since January 2011 and last month (126) was the second highest.

Pakistan tops the table of asylum seekers with 13pc of the applicants, followed by Nigeria, Zimbabwe and Algeria.

A rather interesting set of Countries in the top spots I would suggest....;)

On mature reflection,I'd replace the word "suggestion" with "statement".

A reading of the latest drop in the drip-feed of accusations against the "System" appears to confirm that the Athlone occurrence (............) once again gathering...

A rather interesting set of Countries in the top spots I would suggest....;)

So once again, rather than address the issue at hand, it's snide digs at asylum seekers themselves and the asylum process.

There's nothing to flee in Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Algeria?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

So once again, rather than address the issue at hand, it's snide digs at asylum seekers themselves and the asylum process.

Good point. I'd say the food is minging there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

But why end up in Ireland, surely people from Pakistan, Algeria and parts of Nigeria would be looking for a country more in line with their cultural and religious beliefs. As for Zimbabwe, how did they end up in Ireland?

smurfjed wrote: »
    But why end up in Ireland, surely people from Pakistan, Algeria and parts of Nigeria would be looking for a country more in line with their cultural and religious beliefs. As for Zimbabwe, how did they end up in Ireland?

That's a valid question,which will be misinterpreted as you not actually being familiar with the terms of the Dublin Convention.

However,the question does not relate to the DC at all,but rather the actual mechanics of rocking up to Erin's green isle from,mar shámpla,Cameroon......

Take today episode in the continuing drama......

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/justice-officials-to-meet-asylum-protesters-30583832.html
    Married father-of-one Francois Fepessi from Cameroon arrived 11 years ago and claims to have stayed in as many as 10 hostels during his time in Ireland. "I came here I was 36, now I am 47," Mr Frepessi said.

The qualified air-conditioning technician said he could not understand why his application was not processed. "I am ready to work, they don't give me papers, why?" he asked as he stood next to his wife Adrienne Nganmo, cradling their six-week-old baby Simon. Mr Fepessi stills remains hopeful that he might be granted asylum.

With it's close (And continuing) associations with France,one could ask why Francois did'nt choose that country to apply for his Asylum status ?

Eleven years is very clearly an example of the Asylum System failing this gentleman,however,the article does not reveal any further details of M.Fepessi's case,such as for,example,whether he is in the appeal stage or if any deportation order was ever issued.

The presence of a new Baby also now ensures the media have another angle to attack the State with,should it belatedly get it's act together.

Earlier,Nodin asked if.....

Currently I would suggest the answer is NO,in the context of making an application for Asylum in the Republic of Ireland.

Each of these countries,at least three of which maintain Diplomatic Realations with our State,are functioning entities with operational taxation,courts,health and education systems.

All of the countries mentioned have strong and ongoing links to their former Colonial Status with both the U.K. and France.

I would suggest that these links,extending to current membership of the British CommonWEALTH,actually impose a commonsense based compulsion on these people to be directed elsewhere in their search for employment.

In M.Fapossi's case,whether the HVAC Industry in Ireland is underprovided in Qualified Technicians is equally of interest.

Many other countries maintain lists of trades and professions which are short of personell and use managed Immigration to address these.

Australia would probably be the most familiar one to Irish people.

One of the stern rules of these systems however,is the requirement that NO current Citizens be available to fill that vacancy,something I cannot vouch for in the case of Air Conditioning Technicians in Ireland.

My own belief is that the Backlog of Deportation Orders must be cleared first.

Failure to do this leaves our system open to those who will remain for as long as possible,whilst continuing to soak up resources which Ireland urgently requires elsewhere.

Currently I would suggest the answer is NO,in the context of making an application for Asylum in the Republic of Ireland.

Each of these countries,at least three of which maintain Diplomatic Realations with our State,are functioning entities with operational taxation,courts,health and education systems.
    One example of why people from Pakistan are claiming asylum here:
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-asylum-seekers-living-fear-244/
    Twenty Galway-based asylum seekers are living in constant fear of being deported to Pakistan where they face persecution, if not death.

The Ahmadi Muslim Community in Galway is concerned for the welfare of their members because of the volatile situation in Pakistan where the Ahmadi Muslims are under genocide threat from the Sunni Islamists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

AlexSmart,
    That's a valid question,which will be misinterpreted as you not actually being familiar with the terms of the Dublin Convention.
    My understanding of the Dublin Convention is that anyone seeking asylum in Europe must register as refugees in the first country where they arrive. As we don't have direct connections with any of the 4 countries mentioned above, why didn't these people register on arrival in Europe. The fact that they have shown up in Ireland is what i could consider to be Asylum shopping.
    I understand that in some of these cases they are claiming religious persecution based on their religious SECTS, i.e. the Ahmadi moslems claiming persecution from Sunny or Shi'ite moslems.

We seem to be hell bend on protecting their human rights, but I'm sorry, they should be sent to the first country of entry.

As for their DEMANDS and their rights.... well what about my right not to pay to support them?

smurfjed wrote: »
    My understanding of the Dublin Convention is that anyone seeking asylum in Europe must register as refugees in the first country where they arrive. As we don't have direct connections with any of the 4 countries mentioned above, why didn't these people register on arrival in Europe. The fact that they have shown up in Ireland is what i could consider to be Asylum shopping.
    You should read this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055439489

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The cheek of them to have a 6 week old baby. This must be stopped.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

However,the question does not relate to (.................)this leaves our system open to those who will remain for as long as possible,whilst continuing to soak up resources which Ireland urgently requires elsewhere.

Another post, another dig at an asylum seeker.

The word for a good deal of your posts escaped me earlier - it's NIMBYism.

Seen the story plastered all over the news papers.
    Aslyum seeker viciously rapes a woman after been only on the country a few months .
    Rapist gets 7 years and gets his aslyum revoked and deportation order signed .
    He goes to the high court to over turn the deportation order and wins he can't be removed and sent home because of his human rights.

A real danger to society and women he's even made threats against the jury legal teams in his trial.

Gatling wrote: »
    Aslyum seeker viciously rapes a woman after been only on the country a few months .
    He goes to the high court to over turn the deportation order and wins he can't be removed and sent home because of his human rights.

A real danger to society and women he's even made threats against the jury legal teams in his trial.

And the import of this is...?

The legal system is a shambles in relation to deporting people from this island who fail to be accepted as asylum seekers. It's appeal after appeal after appeal. The whole system stinks. Big money being made from it though.

And the import of this is...?

Proof that our aslyum system is no longer fit for use .
    A dangerous Rapist can't be removed despite a rape conviction.

Shame on the high court

Shame on the high court

Yes, but that is not near as pressing as the poor quality of free food in the system.

Shame on the high court

I wasn't aware that one ordinarily threw the baby out with the bathwater.

Do you have a link to the story?

Yes, but that is not near as pressing as the poor quality of free food in the system.

I'm sure he complained about that too

I'm sure he complained about that too

...link to the case...?

• Advertisement
Advertisement