Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Residents at Athlone asylum seekers centre refusing to eat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where are the social housing lists with 75% non national?

Fingal and a few others local authority areas

Nodin wrote: »
    5 or 6 to a room in some cases.

In a lot of cases most asylum seekers arrived with no kids or extended families and while in direct provision choose to have famlies for what ever reason ,

If the state had any sense they would have segregated secure accommodation ,

In some case though aslyum seekers arrive with large extended families ,a recent case involved a large syrian family who were processed and granted asylum a local authority had to purchase two 5 bed houses side by side to accommodate them ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,628 ✭✭✭✭walshb

5-6 in a room? Big deal. What do you guys want? A house for each family? Plaza tv screens, maids, butlers, chauffeurs? Unreal. People from all over the world taken in and fed and clothed and sheltered and still to some it's not enough. I have a feeling that there are people here in Ireland who would turf you out of your home to make way for the "downtrodden asylum" seeker.

Still waiting on actual details from this case. Something solid and verifiable. Apart from "The food is crap." You would hear that anywhere. Hospitals, airplanes, hotels, restaurants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭paul71

Gatling wrote: »
    Fingal and a few others local authority areas

And of that 75% not a single person among them is in a direct provision centre because you cannot apply for social housing unless you are legally resident here, so your 75% is completely irrelevent to this debate.

paul71 wrote: »
    And of that 75% not a single person among them is in a direct provision centre because you cannot apply for social housing unless you are legally resident here, so your 75% is completely irrelevent to this debate.

the UN report made reference to asylum seekers and immigrants and housing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

the UN report made reference to asylum seekers and immigrants and housing
    Where are you seeing this in the report (presumably the one Nodin linked to a story about earlier in the thread?), I can only see housing being mentioned in relation to Travellers in that one.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I continue to be bewildered at the attitude that once conditions here aren't quite as bad as those that people are fleeing, they should be grateful.

If they were tortured and beaten on a weekly basis in their home country, should they be grateful for monthly torture and beatings here?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I continue to be bewildered at the attitude that once conditions here aren't quite as bad as those that people are fleeing, they should be grateful.

If they were tortured and beaten on a weekly basis in their home country, should they be grateful for monthly torture and beatings here?

Nobody is making this silly comparison but you. I think everyone agrees that they should be treated with dignity and respect, and be afforded a level of care that befits a human. This particular protest is about them not liking their free food. Not good enough for them. That's it. So, what is wrong with the food, besides it not being "good enough" for them? Are they dying of starvation, catching illnesses or disease? I'd like some actual facts and details as to why the food is not good enough for them.

Fact remains that they are NOT being beaten or killed or oppressed whilst staying in Ireland. Now all we need to achieve is better food for them, better shelter for them and maybe when that is provided they will think up something else that we could improve upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

walshb wrote: »
    Nobody is making this silly comparison but you................

Emmmm
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92118393&postcount=99

Nobody is making this silly comparison but you. I think everyone agrees that they should be treated with dignity and respect, and be afforded a level of care that befits a human. This particular protest is about them not liking their free food. Not good enough for them. That's it. So, what is wrong with the food, besides it not being "good enough" for them?

All there food supplied
    Hygienics supplied ( soaps , shampoo, shower gel and deo's)
    roof over there heads
    no bills .
    why nobody has asked how many are waiting for in some cases 3rd or 4th legal actions after been denied refugee status .
    If there complaining about over crowding in rooms who's deciding to have multiple children in such bad conditions.

Imagine homeless people on out streets got the above handed to them , I'm sure there would be complaining about there lack of services

look at the girl who achieved great marks in her leaving from Russia
    The mother says there fleeing torture and neo nazis .
    Yet the 75 year old granny still in Russia working several jobs to fund her daughter and grand daughter .

• Advertisement

That is just it. No expense spared on these people. Everything paid for that they require for their stay here, within reason of course, and we have people berating the state.

look at the girl who achieved great marks in her leaving from Russia
    The mother says there fleeing torture and neo nazis .
    Yet the 75 year old granny still in Russia working several jobs to fund her daughter and grand daughter .

Scam! What is it with us? We need to adopt the "problems" of the world...

Scam! What is it with us? We need to adopt the "problems" of the world...
    You will uncritically accept what just he posted (along with jumping to your own, unproven, conclusion) and yet you're repeatedly stating that you want solid facts etc. before you'll believe anything the people in Athlone are saying. Bit of a contradiction?

You will uncritically accept what just he posted (along with jumping to your own, unproven, conclusion) and yet you're repeatedly stating that you want solid facts etc. before you'll believe anything the people in Athlone are saying. Bit of a contradiction?

I read the case about the student and I read the comments. Scam IMO. And, so what if she is fleeing whatever. Pay your way like everyone else, or apply for a grant. I don't want to hear your made up sob story!

What people in Athlone? The ones who are being given safe haven, paid meals, free healthcare, free shelter and anything else to ease their pain and suffering? Maybe they are right. Maybe the food doesn't do it for them. So what. Get over it.

I read the case about the student and I read the comments. Scam IMO. And, so what if she is fleeing whatever. Pay your way like everyone else, or apply for a grant. I don't want to hear your made up sob story!
    You should apply for a job in ORAC given your skills. She can't apply for a grant either btw.
    What people in Athlone? The ones who are being given safe haven, paid meals, free healthcare, free shelter and anything else to ease their pain and suffering? Maybe they are right. Maybe the food doesn't do it for them. So what. Get over it.
    Ok, so just another excuse to go on a sarcastic rant about them. I figured there was little point in engaging with you.

You should apply for a job in ORAC given your skills. She can't apply for a grant either btw.

Ok, so just another excuse to go on a sarcastic rant about them. I figured there was little point in engaging with you.

Well then stop engaging.

They don't like their free food. That is what this protest is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

So basically that is that then!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

They don't like their free food. That is what this protest is about.
    I thought you wanted solid facts though, how can you reach your conclusion without them?

• Advertisement

Best of luck to her whatever she does. If she can roll out a sob story and get people to part with their money to pay for college for her then I say best of luck.

You will uncritically accept what just he posted (along with jumping to your own, unproven,

The mother Herself has been all over the media with there story

I didn't just write something

K-9 wrote: »
    So basically that is that then!

Yes.

The mother Herself has been all over the media with there story

I didn't just write something
    I think you missed the point of that post. He's demanding facts for some things and yet he'll just wildly jump to conclusions on other things.

Can you point out the reference in that UN report to housing for asylum seekers etc.

Not wildly jumping to conclusions at all. I don't buy the student's story. That's all. That is separate to this thread.

Asylum Seekers are very annoyed and dissatisfied with the standard of free food they are receiving. I am not ready just yet to slate the Irish people for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I know people who gave up good jobs and paid 5000 euro to be brought into Europe, at least one girl lied that all of her family were killed in Syria and she is presently in the system in Sweden, now considering that in the years that i have known her, she has had a boob job and a nose job as she felt that would improve her chances of finding a western husband, she couldn't exactly be considered as persecuted.
    I don't have a problem with people getting asylum, but for me they should be people taken from recognised camps in problem countries rather than "asylum tourists".

• Advertisement

All there food supplied
    Hygienics supplied ( soaps , shampoo, shower gel and deo's)
    roof over there heads
    no bills .
    why nobody has asked how many are waiting for in some cases 3rd or 4th legal actions after been denied refugee status .
    If there complaining about over crowding in rooms who's deciding to have multiple children in such bad conditions.

Who said they had multiple children after arriving here?
    Emmm what? .............

He's doing as OscarBravo described.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

A lot do have children when they are here they even go out and meet residents/citizens of the island also some are working and also as taxi drivers where a few will keep a car going 24 hours as they swap drivers.

But you will just say this is all made up of course.

No, he is not!

Who said they had multiple children after arriving here?

1500+ children in direct provison as of this year
    I hazard a guess none were born here at all

No, he is not!

He fairly clearly is.

"Anyone who has been to 3rd world country and sees what real poverty is like up close will know that living in a prefabricated structure or mobile home is to western eyes 'below average' living conditions but to someone from a war torn third world country who has been living in a tent or a shack will know which one they would rather every day of the week."

• Advertisement

He fairly clearly is.

"Anyone who has been to 3rd world country and sees what real poverty is like up close will know that living in a prefabricated structure or mobile home is to western eyes 'below average' living conditions but to someone from a war torn third world country who has been living in a tent or a shack will know which one they would rather every day of the week."

What has that got to do with beatings and torture?

They are in asylum centers for chrissake. They are asylum seekers. What do you expect them to be in? Palaces? They are being sheltered in approved centers. That is the point.

1500+ children in direct provison as of this year
    I hazard a guess none were born here at all
    Children have been born in the direct provision system, here's one example - you can find others easily enough.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/legal-case-to-expose-the-degrading-treatment-of-asylum-seekers-30319663.html

Edit: If you think none were born here why did you post this earlier? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92119644&postcount=103

I have a feeling that the poster made a typo error. Meant to say that he guessed that a few were born here.

Edit: If you think none were born here why did you post this earlier? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92119644&postcount=103

Apparently I'm not so popular with another person around here .

1600 kids in direct provision here as the figures roughly calculated suggest there is 2.75 kids for every aslyum seeker

1600 kids in direct provision here as the figures roughly calculated suggest there is 2.75 kids for every aslyum seeker
    That doesn't clarify what I asked you, nor does it really have anything to do with what you said.

That doesn't clarify what I asked you, nor does it really have anything to do with what you said.

sarcastic post earlier ,

I like that link you provided its shows exactly how some of the issues occur arrive declare your seeking asylum and enter direct provision and a year / 2 down the line you can't deport me now i have a child/children

I like that link you provided its shows exactly how some of the issues occur arrive declare your seeking asylum and enter direct provision and a year / 2 down the line you can't deport me now i have a child/children
    I 'like' how that appears to have been the only thing you have taken from that article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I thought the protest was over what was the out come?

Hootanany wrote: »
    I thought the protest was over what was the out come?
    From here: http://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/news/media-statement-from-lissywollen-residents/3560
    Yesterday, Monday 8 September, the residents of Lissywollen Direct Provision accommodation centre met with RIA officials to discuss the complaints they had made in writing.

A Residents Committee representative said, “In light of this meeting with RIA, the residents have decided to hold off on further protest to allow RIA to address the issues highlighted at the meeting. A written response to the residents is expected from RIA in the next three weeks with some changes expected to be implemented immediately.”

The representative went on to say, “We are giving RIA the benefit of the doubt. We will wait to see what changes come into effect over the next three weeks before we decide on further action. If RIA fail to respond to our complaints over the coming weeks, we reserve the right to protest further.”

RIA = Reception and Integration Agency http://www.ria.gov.ie/

I 'like' how that appears to have been the only thing you have taken from that article.

There isnt a whole lot to that article
    There not treated to inhumane conditions there fed ,clothed ,housed there not living in locked down secure accommodation,
    Access to legal representation in the case liked 3 human rights lawyers and probably a team of solicitor's ,

Now what do we give our homeless who are living in inhumane conditions a sandwich and a cup of tea given out by volunteers

• Advertisement

There isnt a whole lot to that article
    The only reason I posted it was because you claimed that no children were born in direct provision.
    There not treated to inhumane conditions there fed ,clothed ,housed there not living in locked down secure accommodation,
    Access to legal representation in the case liked 3 human rights lawyers and probably a team of solicitor's ,
    I get the feeling it's absolutely pointless trying to discuss this with you so I won't.
    Now what do we give our homeless who are living in inhumane conditions a sandwich and a cup of tea given out by volunteers
    This is part of the reason for the above.

Discuss away ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

.....which is entirely irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

Perhaps to your good self...however I find great relevance in it..:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He fairly clearly is.

Nowhere did I mention beatings and torture. However, what I said is essentially true. Given the option would you prefer to be in a Syrian refugee camp in the Leb, or in a prefab in Ireland.

smurfjed wrote: »
    I know people who gave up good jobs and paid 5000 euro to be brought into Europe, at least one girl lied that all of her family were killed in Syria and she is presently in the system in Sweden, now considering that in the years that i have known her, she has had a boob job and a nose job as she felt that would improve her chances of finding a western husband, she couldn't exactly be considered as persecuted.
    I don't have a problem with people getting asylum, but for me they should be people taken from recognised camps in problem countries rather than "asylum tourists".

The system is the wrong way around. We wait for asylum seekers to knock on the door and then process them, even though most if not all have been in safe western countries for a significant period of time (yes, that is the law, but its an ass of a law tbh). Naturally this makes people skeptical of the whole process. As I mentioned before, Irish delegates from the Dept of Foreign affairs should go to the many refugee camps around the world and chose people based on a risk criteria. This would then give the most at risk asylum and lower the risk of chancer's entering the system, blocking it for genuine people who are indeed at risk.

jank wrote: »
    Nowhere did I mention beatings and torture. However, what I said is essentially true. Given the option would you prefer to be in a Syrian refugee camp in the Leb, or in a prefab in Ireland.

That's not really the dichotomy here though, is it?

So what is the terms of scope of this debate then?

jank wrote: »
    So what is the terms of scope of this debate then?

That the direct provision system as a whole suffers from a number of documented inadequacies that need to be addressed.

That the direct provision system as a whole suffers from a number of documented inadequacies that need to be addressed.

You mean documented in the media? Again, no specifics or details about these inadequacies.

• Advertisement

Rank food being one such inadequacy...:confused:

Advertisement