Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State Funerals

Options
  • 25-08-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

In view of the Reynolds funeral, I am wondering are all Taoisigh/ former Taoisigh entitled to a state funeral?
    Cannot remember if Haughey got one.
    Who decides these matters?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

IIRC if someone is offered a state funeral the family can choose whether or not to have it, or to have a private funeral

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

There have been twelve State funerals. Reynolds was the twelfth.

These days, all former Presidents and Taoisigh are offered State funerals, and nobody else.

Having said that, Michael Collins and Arthur Griffith got State funerals (within a fortnight of one another). Strictly-speaking they are the only citizens to have been granted State funerals who were not Presidents or Taoisigh, although their respective offices did correspond to those offices approximately.

Roger Casement was also granted a State funeral, although those circumstances were exceptional.

John A Costello's family is the only surviving family of a Head of State or Government to have turned down a State funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

conorh91 wrote: »
    There have been twelve State funerals. Reynolds was the twelfth.

These days, all former Presidents and Taoisigh are offered State funerals, and nobody else.

Having said that, Michael Collins and Arthur Griffith got State funerals (within a fortnight of one another). Strictly-speaking they are the only citizens to have been granted State funerals who were not Presidents or Taoisigh, although their respective offices did correspond to those offices approximately.

Roger Casement was also granted a State funeral, although those circumstances were exceptional.

John A Costello's family is the only surviving family of a Head of State or Government to have turned down a State funeral.

That's not strictly true. There were 10 people given the honour of a state funeral in 2001 alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 icecold1066

Cerco wrote: »
    In view of the Reynolds funeral, I am wondering are all Taoisigh/ former Taoisigh entitled to a state funeral?
    Cannot remember if Haughey got one.
    Who decides these matters?

The government presumably.

That's not strictly true. There were 10 people given the honour of a state funeral in 2001 alone.
    Actually I forgot to include those.

In that case there were thirteen state funerals. (I am counting that ceremony once, since it was one ceremony)

That also increases the number of non-President, non-Head of Government office-holders granted state funerals from one (Casement) to eleven.

However, it is still relevant to note that no person who died after the foundation of the State, except the Head of State, or the head of Government, has been granted a State funeral.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 icecold1066

I can only hope we have many more state funerals. The sooner the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

State funerals are automatically offered in the case of serving or former Presidents and Taoisigh. Families are free to accept or decline the offer.
    Other state funerals are/have been offered at the discretion of the Government; e.g. Gardai, soldiers etc killed in the line of duty, veterans of the 1916 rising/War of Independence etc and others deemed "worthy" - which is a whole other topic I suppose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_state_funerals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

However, it is still relevant to note that no person who died after the foundation of the State, except the Head of State, or the head of Government, has been granted a State funeral.

I don't think thats correct if this list is accurate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_state_funerals

well now I am just morto for myself.

I recollected this from a journal article; if that wiki page reflects a correct list of State funerals, clearly there was an error, or I misinterpreted it badly!

Actually I forgot to include those.

In that case there were thirteen state funerals. (I am counting that ceremony once, since it was one ceremony)

That also increases the number of non-President, non-Head of Government office-holders granted state funerals from one (Casement) to eleven.

Nope, Det Garda Donoghoe received a state funeral. There have been something in the region of 37 state funerals since the foundation of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

Did the soldiers who were killed in the Niemba ambush (Congo) receive a state funeral?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Cerco wrote: »
    Did the soldiers who were killed in the Niemba ambush (Congo) receive a state funeral?

No, just a military funeral. More details here: http://www.military.ie/info-centre/df-ceremonial/state-and-military-funerals/

well now I am just morto for myself.

I recollected this from a journal article; if that wiki page reflects a correct list of State funerals, clearly there was an error, or I misinterpreted it badly!
    Perhaps you were thinking of a lying in state?

Advertisement