Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Astronauts debunk NASA UFO vids

• 03-06-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Among UFO conspiracy buffs (those who believe the moon landings were faked, that there's a giant human face built on the surface of Mars, alien life found by NASA, etc.) one common tactic is to review the released raw footage from old space missions frame by frame. If at any point in the often poor-quality films they see something they think is odd, or don't understand, they jump to the conclusion that it must be evidence of alien life.

Recently a man named Martyn Stubb did that, posting several videos (see two below) on YouTube of what he claims is evidence of a NASA coverup.

Now Popular Mechanics magazine has a piece titled, "Footage in the Sky: The Truth Behind NASA's 'UFO' Videos" in which two astronauts involved in those missions discuss the coverup and what's seen in the footage.

Not all astronauts take the attacks in stride; many have been offended by the claim that they faked their accomplishments or are part of a conspiracy. In 2002, UFO conspiracy theorist Bart Sibrel confronted astronaut Buzz Aldrin outside a hotel and called him a "coward and a liar" for his role in faking the moon landings. The 72-year-old promptly punched Sibrel in the jaw. Video of the incident:

Curiously, conspiracy believers never seem to wonder why NASA would allow the very photographs and video footage that they think proves their claims to be released. If NASA is involved in a cover-up over alien life or a hoaxed moon landing, you would think that they would carefully (and successfully) suppress any information about things they are trying to hide. But that's too logical.

Maybe it's a double cover-up, and the UFO conspiracy theorists are really on NASA's payroll. They don't really believe that aliens exist. It's all part of a secret plan to make the public believe that extraterrestrials have been contacted, so NASA can request more funding to explore the potential new alien civilizations. It all makes sense. Here are the two videos that Popular Mechanics debunks:

From - 2n80vad.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

If you're gonna start a thread at least add in your own opinion so its not just a direct (lazy) copy and paste from another site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

6th wrote: »
    If you're gonna start a thread at least add in your own opinion so its not just a direct (lazy) copy and paste from another site.

Ok sorry =p

Most importantly, I completely believe that life exists outside of earth, 99% sure. The 1% being lack of evidence

Drake's Equation
    is widely regarded as a good estimating equation for intelligent life, currently the estimates are
    R* = 7/year, fp = 0.5, ne = 2, fl = 0.33, fi = 0.01, fc = 0.01, and L = 10000 years

Which translated into real figures would mean that there are 2.31 civilizations in the universe at any given time, on average

Do I think that this (theoretical) single other intelligent life form has developed the tech capable of reaching us (without destroying itself through development first), in a universe that's practically infinite in size?

Of course not, but I really like the idea that they have reached us.

What do I think the lights are in the videos?

Lights. You cannot explain the unknown. You can only theorize.

My guess would be some sort of electrical phenomenon like ball lightning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Drake's Equation
    is widely regarded as a good estimating equation for intelligent life, currently the estimates are
    R* = 7/year, fp = 0.5, ne = 2, fl = 0.33, fi = 0.01, fc = 0.01, and L = 10000 years

Which translated into real figures would mean that there are 2.31 civilizations in the universe at any given time, on average
    Drake's equation covers the galaxy not the universe. So that's 2.31 communicating civilizations in our galaxy. (well by Drake's estimations anyway.)

And the last three variables can't be assigned accurate numbers as of yet so that number could alot less or alot more.

King Mob wrote: »
    Drake's equation covers the galaxy not the universe. So that's 2.31 communicating civilizations in our galaxy. (well by Drake's estimations anyway.)

And the last three variables can't be assigned accurate numbers as of yet so that number could alot less or alot more.

Holy shi7!

I need to put 125 Billion times more thought into this now =p

Holy shi7!

I need to put 125 Billion times more thought into this now =p

The one factor that I think we'll never know is
    fc = the fraction of the above that are willing and able to communicate.

• Advertisement

The one factor that I think we'll never know is
    fc = the fraction of the above that are willing and able to communicate.

True that it's impossible to determine a number.

But.. I think that if any civilisation had the technological ability to contact other life-forms, they most certainly would.

I can't imagine a race that would have the drive to develop advanced tech but at the same time have no drive to explore new civilisations

True that it's impossible to determine a number.

But.. I think that if any civilisation had the technological ability to contact other life-forms, they most certainly would.

I can't imagine a race that would have the drive to develop advanced tech but at the same time have no drive to explore new civilisations

Well they mightn't have the concept of other civilisations.
    There's no way to know if they have the same drives as us. And we don't really send out messages we only really look for them.
    Or it could be the case that they chose not to contact us, for a million reason some of which we might be able to imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Seems to be an awful lot of ufo footage lately on youtube.
    Maybe they're as pissed at the recession as we are and might think about invading to save us all :/

But seriously, more of this UFO footage stuff, I love it. Am a firm believer in the presence of life outside of our own. Whether they visit us and that's them in any of the footage or whatever, dunno, but it's great to watch and think about it :)

lads forget youtube and check out disclose.tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Seems to be an upsurge in sightings around the world last month and continuing into this month.
    There's going to be some really good sighting over Ireland and all I have is an iphone that can't record video :mad:

Thanks for that disclose.tv link, great stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Putin said that the militarization of outer space would have unintended consequences for the international community. I think that was code for "don't piss off our alien friends." I believe there are a number of alien galactic powers which have an interest in our world and we're threading on very thin ice with them atm with our nukes and ineffective primitive political systems.

Putin said that the militarization of outer space would have unintended consequences for the international community. I think that was code for "don't piss off our alien friends." I believe there are a number of alien galactic powers which have an interest in our world and we're threading on very thin ice with them atm with our nukes and ineffective primitive political systems.

Or he could have meant the inherent danger of have space weapons.
    Why would he let the secret slip like that?

Putin said that the militarization of outer space would have unintended consequences for the international community. I think that was code for "don't piss off our alien friends"

I'm sure there are a million more things he could have meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

I believe there are a number of alien galactic powers which have an interest in our world and we're threading on very thin ice with them atm with our nukes and ineffective primitive political systems.

Why do you believe that? Why do you think its a number, and not just the one?

Or he could have meant the inherent danger of have space weapons.
    Why would he let the secret slip like that?

He didn't, it was coded speak.

Why do you believe that? Why do you think its a number, and not just the one?

If there is one galactic power involved there are bound to be allies and adversaries. These races are much older than us and have had dealings with each other for centuries.

If it was coded how do you know what it mean?
    Why would even say it in code?

If there is one galactic power involved there are bound to be allies and adversaries. These races are much older than us and have had dealings with each other for centuries.
    And how do you know any of this?
    There's no reason that any galactic power would do any of that.

Sounds a bit too like Star Trek/Wars for me. Just becuase there is possibility one other race out there it doesnt automatically mean there a loads. And even if there are loads, why would you assume they've been battling for power for centuries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Sounds a bit too like Star Trek/Wars for me. Just becuase there is possibility one other race out there it doesnt automatically mean there a loads. And even if there are loads, why would you assume they've been battling for power for centuries?
    thats the main problem with topic's like this ......... the star wars thing.

i cant believe anything so silly as star wars.....
    however we have known and learn [ depends on your age ] their are many different types of everything like.....
    tree's
    rock's
    planet's
    the question is how many ET's will we, disclose if we, disclose .... at all in the near future!?

jonbravo wrote: »

however we have known and learn [ depends on your age ] their are many different types of everything like.....
    tree's
    rock's
    planet's
    the question is how many ET's will we, disclose if we, disclose .... at all in the near future!?
    It's not that Star Wars is too silly to believe, it's not silly enough to believe.
    There is no reason to think that any alien species behave in anyway like us like in Star Wars.
    Nor is there any reason to believe that they would have a massive interstellar empire like in Star Wars. Or that would would have had any other contact with other species before us like in Star Wars.

tree's
    rock's
    planet's

I can see the possibility of different lifeforms out there other than us, but the idea that there are races at war, or making peace with each other is way beyond what I believe.

Trees came from the same goo as us, rocks are inanimate, and so are planets so I dont see what relevance that has.

You say that we might not possibly find any, so how are you so sure that other civilisations have found each other.

• Advertisement

It's not that Star Wars is too silly to believe, it's not silly enough to believe.
    There is no reason to think that any alien species behave in anyway like us like in Star Wars.
    Nor is there any reason to believe that they would have a massive interstellar empire like in Star Wars. Or that would would have had any other contact with other species before us like in Star Wars.
    oh star wars is very silly ...... its only someones daydream.

i think some of the many species are in contact with each other .... their is no way of knowning that, its just what i'd like to think or believe...
    And if humans can make many new varieties of plants and animals ,most not nature do so also.

oh star wars is very silly ...... its only someones daydream.

i think some of the many species are in contact with each other .... their is no way of knowning that, its just what i'd like to think or believe...
    And if humans can make many new varieties of plants and animals ,most not nature do so also.
    The difference is how many of those verities can develop interstellar travel.
    And then they'd have to be within sixty light years or so to even know there's technological life on Earth now.

It's incredibly unlikely that an alien race would have the ability to detect us, be close enough to do so and on top of that have the means to visit us.

The difference is how many of those verities can develop interstellar travel.
    And then they'd have to be within sixty light years or so to even know there's technological life on Earth now.

It's incredibly unlikely that an alien race would have the ability to detect us, be close enough to do so and on top of that have the means to visit us.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_probe
    space probe's can be handy at times i mean its how we would find technological life on other plants..

why sixty light years away!?
    incredibly unlikely to detect us ..... its very likely already happened..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_probe
    space probe's can be handy at times i mean its how we would find technological life on other plants..
    The one's we've launched have only just left the solar system. It's be thousands of year before they even get close to another star.

why sixty light years away!?
    incredibly unlikely to detect us ..... its very likely already happened..

It's been 60 years since we started broadcasting detectable signals. Thats as far as thise signals would have gotten. There'd be no other way to detect technological life on another planet.

The one's we've launched have only just left the solar system. It's be thousands of year before they even get close to another star.
    the reason for this is fuel.

It's been 60 years since we started broadcasting detectable signals. Thats as far as thise signals would have gotten. There'd be no other way to detect technological life on another planet.
    in another 20 years thier will be no such thing as detectable signals leaving earth to be detected.Unless the ET's are more technological gifted then us.
    One day your young the next your old ... their is alway something for a generation to discover ... We as human beings are known for our intervention type brain, thats why were not extinct yet.

...... its only someones daydream.

.....its just what i'd like to think or believe...

Not being snide, but what's the difference between what you class as a daydream, and something you'd like to think and believe. Both are based in fantasy.

in another 20 years thier will be no such thing as detectable signals leaving earth to be detected.

How come?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Coded for who's benefit? If he doesn't want us to know why say anything at all and if it was a message for certain people in the world why not tell them over the phone? It makes no sense :confused:

Coded for who's benefit? If he doesn't want us to know why say anything at all and if it was a message for certain people in the world why not tell them over the phone? It makes no sense :confused:

Because he doesn't need to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Because he doesn't need to

Ah I see....

......nope, back where I started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Thats how pokemon got here aint it?

Advertisement