Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)

• 26-05-2009 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/whos_watching_you/8064333.stm

Anyone travelling around the country will have seen these cameras. The M1 is equipped with them, the M50. Infact all major routes will soon be fitted with this technology. Anyone travelling to Belfast on the Newry road will encounter at least 20 ANPR cameras.

Gone are the days of privacy.

Disgraceful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I think its great. Dont do anything illegal and you'll be fine.

On another note, i have never seen these cameras on the M50. AFAIK, it is only available in the Garda cars at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Calverton

:eek:

Don't do anything illegal??? I don't do anything "illegal", and I don't want my every journey tracked by the police.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭legend365

Hopefully they start tapping our phones too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Hold on there Ted. Whats Illegal and whats not? Other threads here daily prove that the guards struggle to understand the laws and how they work at the moment nevermind implement them. Under the UK scheme they could use information from the last 2 years against you. Jezzz any accusation could be construted with that level of information. You're dead right when you say "If you're doing nothing illegal then you have nothing to worry about " but dont treat me as if I am doing something illegal. Plus what if the system is wrong. Fancy a night in the nick because a computer had a moment. Nah sorry , I think its bo**ox. We have to be carefull with this stuff. :mad:

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Hold on there Ted. Whats Illegal and whats not? Other threads here daily prove that the guards struggle to understand the laws and how they work at the moment nevermind implement them. Under the UK scheme they could use information from the last 2 years against you. Jezzz any accusation could be construted with that level of information. You're dead right when you say "If you're doing nothing illegal then you have nothing to worry about " but dont treat me as if I am doing something illegal. Plus what if the system is wrong. Fancy a night in the nick because a computer had a moment. Nah sorry , I think its bo**ox. We have to be carefull with this stuff. :mad:

Drummer boy is a "good guy".

• Advertisement

Calverton wrote: »
    Drummer boy is a "good guy".

<snip>

Maybe he just has a different opinion, lay off on the abuse though...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

were all turning into pawns in one big computer controlled game. :mad:

I don't like this world big brother is building around us, hopefully a generation will come along and restore the natural balance. Sadly we won't get to see it in our life time.

were all turning into pawns in one big computer controlled game. :mad:

I don't like this world big brother is building around us, hopefully a generation will come along and restore the natural balance. Sadly we won't get to see it in our life time.

Maybe it is up to us to do something??

Why wait on others to do something that you could do yourself????

Maybe he just has a different opinion, lay off on the abuse though...;)

An opinion that will lead to us all living in a total surveillance society, with every move monitored. I think he needs to wake up to reality.

Many things that were "legal" up to this point are rapidly becoming "illegal". HE should not be so laid back in his approach to serious issues.

Many things that were "legal" up to this point are rapidly becoming "illegal". HE should not be so laid back in his approach to serious issues.

Yes I agree but beating someone up in here for their opinion wont get you anywhere. Put your point across as strong as you like but there's no need to kinda insult somebody :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So now it's our fault, for doing nothing, Have you tried to fight the power latley. We've become nothing more than sheep in one big processing factory. For everyone of us that stands up and says No! another 10 will stand up and say sit down and don't rock the boat, we've jobs and mortages to think about.

there's one saving grace, some day i'm going to go into politics and i'll reverse all this nonsense. Healtcare will be paramount, spying on motorists will not be tolerated.

So now it's our fault, for doing nothing, Have you tried to fight the power latley. We've become nothing more than sheep in one big processing factory. For everyone of us that stands up and says No! another 10 will stand up and say sit down and don't rock the boat, we've jobs and mortages to think about.

there's one saving grace, some day i'm going to go into politics and i'll reverse all this nonsense. Healtcare will be paramount, spying on motorists will not be tolerated.

Everyone I know agrees with your sentiments. However, people need to make a stand. Remember that fella took the cops on last week over his Porsche. If people made a stand against this disgusting invasion of personal freedoms, they would not be long backing down.

If things carry on as they are, what will it be like in ten years???

We will not be able to leave the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

While I assume you are baiting them and not really that naive, it reminds me of a debate I had with some Singaporeans. They were telling me they all have their National Identity cards with full Social details on them all the time. Then they explained that to rent a book at the library they must use their National Identity cards (to get in and rent). Being Singapore, certain books are banned already and the government (openly) spies on the populace ready to ban and snatch malcontents. They didnt see a problem with the government knowing where they are (Card scanners and cameras everywhere) and what they read and research, because if they dont break the law, they dont have to worry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I think because I am always monitored I have nothing to fear in any system especially static anpr.

My car has a tracking device. My phone can be positioned by GPRS. Satellites like Google Earth have publicly accessable photos from above.

Google earth cars have pictures of where we live and us driving our cars.

CCTV is everywhere.

What have we to fear?

Berty wrote: »
    I think because I am always monitored I have nothing to fear in any system especially static anpr.

My car has a tracking device. My phone can be positioned by GPRS. Satellites like Google Earth have publicly accessable photos from above.

Google earth cars have pictures of where we live and us driving our cars.

CCTV is everywhere.

What have we to fear?

All of the above :D

What have we to fear?

If you like being dominated and herded around like a pleb, you have nothing to fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

But this kind of info is already available on you - I'm sure if Google released their record it'd say a lot more about your interests, affiliations and actions than a library card ever could.

All of the above :D

Yer man does not even see the problem. I have seen this with other people. They seem to welcome the idea that other people have an interest in their little lives.

If you like being dominated and herded around like a pleb, you have nothing to fear.

Where is bo peep? Im not being herded around. Im not being watched. They are watching for those who have reasons to be watched.

Nor is anybody dominating us. They are using the information to catch crooks, people without insurance, without tax etc.

They are not going to knock on your door and ask you to pay extra for the fixing of a road because you appear to use it too much for your own good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

This is my third time warning you today, next time it's a ban. Surely you can make your points without insulting others?

• Advertisement

-Chris- wrote: »
    But this kind of info is already available on you - I'm sure if Google released their record it'd say a lot more about your interests, affiliations and actions than a library card ever could.

Who ever said Google had the right to do this. I have been campaigning against this street view filming which they have been doing.

Mate, they shoot people in China for having more than one child, does that make it alright for everyone in this country to be shot for having more than one child?

How about you reverse your opinions and try to attain the highest possible moral standards instead of looking for the most degraded and making those some sort of goal.

Where is bo peep? Im not being herded around. Im not being watched. They are watching for those who have reasons to be watched.

Nor is anybody dominating us. They are using the information to catch crooks, people without insurance, without tax etc.

They are not going to knock on your door and ask you to pay extra for the fixing of a road because you appear to use it too much for your own good.

You have just admitted that you are being watched in the previous post......

Crooks?? Have you seen the MP expense scandal in the UK, you tell me who the crooks are.

They are not going to knock on my door??? I suggest you look into the area of carbon taxes. All motorists will be taxes based on car usage, number of miles per year. How will you get around that when every road has an ANPR camera. Is this not an attempt at domination????????

I just realised who the OP was and who calverton is.

*Sigh

Stop feeding a troll!!

Anan1 wrote: »
    This is my third time warning you today, next time it's a ban. Surely you can make your points without insulting others?

Who was I insulting??? I did not refer to anyone, and I certainly did not insinuate that my post refered to the other poster. You have gotten your wires crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Who was I insulting??? I did not refer to anyone, and I certainly did not insinuate that my post refered to the other poster. You have gotten your wires crossed.
    Enough. You're welcome to come back in a week with a better attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Who cares. It'l happen whether someone writes about it on an internet forum or not. I dont really care.

Who ever said Google had the right to do this. I have been campaigning against this street view filming which they have been doing.

Who said they don't have the right to collate your data in a non-identifying way? They provide you with a free service (an excellent search engine among other things), and in return they collect data on your searches and target advertising towards you.

The problem is that, even though they say the information is collected in a non-identifying way, I'll bet you've googled your own name...

I'm sure all this info could be requisitioned by an American court or security agency without too much muscle flexing.

You're too late - by using their products, you've already surrendered your privacy.
    Mate, they shoot people in China for having more than one child, does that make it alright for everyone in thios country to be shot for having more than one child?

That's a silly statement, imho. Please explain how that directly relates to the big brother culture and the advent of ANPR.
    How about you reverse you opinions and try and attain the highest possible moral standards instead of looking for the most degraded and making those some sort of goal.

WTF are you talking about? What does my privacy, or my belief that my privacy is compromised daily, or my acceptance of this compromise have anything to do with morals or moral degradation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

On another note, i have never seen these cameras on the M50. AFAIK, it is only available in the Garda cars at the minute.

Is that all of them? Or just select units? Its been in the UK for awhile. Presume its a GSM modem attached to a onboard computer?

Sometimes the problem is created by thoses in contol just so as to provide you with the sollution. Its where alot of the conspiracies come from ( combined sometimes with a good imagination too ) but the reality is that governments do cause problems so that they provide an answer to that specific problem but in turn covertly install something to suit there own needs.

1) Why watch me at all?

2) Why store the information for 2 years?

3) Who apart from the police has access to this information and for what use?

4) Do you really beleive that some of this information wouldnt end be used in a way in which it shouldnt due to corrupt officials?

Maybe I'm just a little paranoid but I spend most of my day minding my own business NOT breaking the law so there should be no reason at all for any file to exist on me and my fellow law abiding citizens.

• Advertisement

I just realised who the OP was and who calverton is.

*Sigh

Stop feeding a troll!!

I didn't even notice that.

On that note, I think this thread is dead.

OP, if you want to have this discussion again, please start a thread in Conspiracy Theories forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement