Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options
  • 11-01-2015 8:47pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭

all requests for house building costs around the country, please post here, this thread is an update of this

keep the thread for discussing the pricing aspect only. For anything else please start a new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Monfreid

Hello,
    what is, roughly, the cost per sq feet to build a house in Co Meath these days?
    looking to build a 2400 sq feed 1 1/2 storey house in the Navan area.
    Thank you
    Regards
    Monfreid

so it turns out to be around 130 eur per sq feet which is way above the figure the architect told me (70-80 eur) when I started working with him on the plans (late 2013).
    If that figure of 130 eur/ sq feet is realistic for my house ... that means that my house is going to cost a lot more to build and I may not be able to afford it ...
    My architect won't do a Tender Package unless I have a mortgage approved and the bank won't proceed with mortgage approval unless I have a quote ... Catch 22 situation ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Monfreid wrote: »
    so it turns out to be around 130 eur per sq feet which is way above the figure the architect told me (70-80 eur) when I started working with him on the plans (late 2013).
    If that figure of 130 eur/ sq feet is realistic for my house ... that means that my house is going to cost a lot more to build and I may not be able to afford it ...
    My architect won't do a Tender Package unless I have a mortgage approved and the bank won't proceed with mortgage approval unless I have a quote ... Catch 22 situation ...

..tbh, your arch should get a slap. There isn't a hope in hell of building any house to regs for his figures. Not to mention the fact that building costs went up in 2014 considerably. You can file any 2013 costs in the bin, frankly.

if you submit an application to the bank with those numbers they'll summarily dismiss the application: they have a better handle on actual build costs, and if your numbers are not within their expected range they'll assume your just chancing your arm. They won't finance anything other than a 'complete' build that gives them a finished, sale-able asset if repayments go pear-shaped.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

I have developer clients building multi unit estates and the lowest we can get the cost (Build cost no professional fees, contributions, connection fees and the like) is €87 per sq ft plus VAT. I cam not one for supporting averages but as a very ballpark outline I would agree with the €120/130 minimum guideline.

kkelliher wrote: »
    I have developer clients building multi unit estates and the lowest we can get the cost (Build cost no professional fees, contributions, connection fees and the like) is €87 per sq ft plus VAT. I cam not one for supporting averages but as a very ballpark outline I would agree with the €120/130 minimum guideline.

Thank you, I gues the Architect figure were before VAT ... that makes a big difference ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thank you, I gues the Architect figure were before VAT ... that makes a big difference ...

If that is so, well VAT is "only" 13.5%, so that would make your Arch figures €79 - €90 which is a minimum of 25% out of whack.

Mind boggling tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Between architect and builder I'm getting a price of €100 psf for a 2000 sf dormer in Kerry.

galwaytt wrote: »
    If that is so, well VAT is "only" 13.5%, so that would make your Arch figures €79 - €90 which is a minimum of 25% out of whack.

Mind boggling tbh.

yes, this is not the kind of "surprise" you expect... :-( but better now than too late half way through ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Are the prices quoted here inclusive of all fees - architect, QS, energy consultant and levies etc?

I'm asking on behalf of an inlaw building a standard 3 bed semi on small sit in north county dublin.

House is roughly 1,000 sq feet. So looking for rough idea of cost with no fancy finishes.

There was a quote with no kitchen installed and the like (builders finish) of €250k from back in 2009 - that seems mad money to me. Not sure if it was a celtic tiger quote?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Are the prices quoted here inclusive of all fees - architect, QS, energy consultant and levies etc?

Generally, no.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    House is roughly 1,000 sq feet. So looking for rough idea of cost with no fancy finishes.

I'd suggest budget needs to be approx. E150K, probably, plus site works.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Generally, no.

and depending on site this can be substantial

kkelliher wrote: »
    and depending on site this can be substantial

What would make it substantial out of interest?

It is in a housing estate - corner plot, just to give you an idea.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Generally, no.

Thanks. Would €50k cover all fees?

I think they are hoping €200k to cover everything but have more if required (sale of bigger house)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stanleigh

We're looking at figuring out the costs of building a house vs. buying a second hand one. We could get a four bedroom house for approx €200k, but have recently started to consider building our own instead.

What would be the estimated costs of building a 120sqm bungalow house in Wicklow? We already have a site, but will need planning etc.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Hi all,

I'm currently coming towards the end of our new self build house, it's 2,550sq foot story and a half house. Currently still on budget little under, but we should be looking at 100euro/Sq foot. that's including our arch fee, solicitor fee, connection fees, engineers fee,

That is us not skimping either, we built using Structural Insulated Panel timber frame, put lots more insulation into the house, triple glazed windows.

I have done lot of work myself, all airtight tapes around Windows/doors, and opening that was made etc. I cut and installed all window boards, all insulation in joists etc., I'm laying all floor insulation on ground & 1st floor myself, and doing all the underfloor heating pipes and pressure testing on both floors myself also. Self levelling liquid screeds to both floors also, done by others,

I did all quantities and pricing up for everything myself also.

I did use people I know to help with ground works, electrics, scaffolding etc.
    I know the new building regulations that came in has a big effect on the cost of building also nowadays which I wouldn't know as these didn't effect us.

it does pay to price around bug time too,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

BryanF wrote: »
    all requests for house building costs around the country, please post here, this thread is an update of this

keep the thread for discussing the pricing aspect only. For anything else please start a new thread.

Ahem!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Stanleigh wrote: »
    We're looking at figuring out the costs of building a house vs. buying a second hand one. We could get a four bedroom house for approx €200k, but have recently started to consider building our own instead.

What would be the estimated costs of building a 120sqm bungalow house in Wicklow? We already have a site, but will need planning etc.
    Thanks!

Allow 10-15k approx for professional fees to cover the planning and assigned certifier role once commenced.

Then allow €1500 per square meter for the constructions costs. Ballpark, and these can go up or down depending on spec.

120 Sq. M = €180,000

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Got quotes for shell only of 205sqm two storey house in Dublin and 25sqm garage. Simple Shape. Quote includes piling, groundbeam, slab insulation (no screed) blockwork (wide cavity, quinnlites at slab junction), roof (attic trusses natural slate), aluminium rainwater goods, hollowcore first floor (wrapped) and precast stairs, foul and surface drainage excluding connection to foul main. Surface water is 5000l RWH and a large soakaway. Ducting for services. External nap plaster. 250mm insulation in the walls, 250mm laid on the subfloor, 300mm in the roof (75mm PIR external and 200mm Metac between rafters). All internal blockwork. No windows and doors included. 140 ex vat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭joeirish

So now that we have completed the first stage of our house (built and totally weathertight with a little internal work done) I thought folks might be interested in what it has cost. Total area is 150 sqm

What we have done is:
    cleared the site for the house
    put in fencing
    strip foundations
    rising walls with quinnlite to help with insulation (design suggested by TF company)
    scaffolding hire
    timber frame for 1.5 floor house
    external block skin
    triple glazed windows
    natural slate on roof
    plastered
    flat roofs covered with 15 year guarantee
    cellulose insulation giving wall and roof value of 0.14
    airtight membrane for 0.6 ACH
    solid joist for first floor
    all steel work
    internal sound insulation (supply only)
    internal slabbing ready for plastering
    first fix electrics

total at this stage is €102k

Plus about €8k for architect and planning fees. I did not need a quantity surveyor or engineer as most of the work on this was included in the TF costs.

All this work, except for the sound insulation installation (messy job!) was done by registered professionals.

Attached a couple of photos taken last week.

Budget for remaining internal work based on quotes received is €70K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

joeirish wrote: »
    So now that we have completed the first stage of our house (built and totally weathertight with a little internal work done) I thought folks might be interested in what it has cost. Total area is 150 sqm

What we have done is:
    cleared the site for the house
    put in fencing
    strip foundations
    rising walls with quinnlite to help with insulation (design suggested by TF company)
    scaffolding hire
    timber frame for 1.5 floor house
    external block skin
    triple glazed windows
    natural slate on roof
    plastered
    flat roofs covered with 15 year guarantee
    cellulose insulation giving wall and roof value of 0.14
    airtight membrane for 0.6 ACH
    solid joist for first floor
    all steel work
    internal sound insulation (supply only)
    internal slabbing ready for plastering
    first fix electrics

total at this stage is €102k

Plus about €8k for architect and planning fees. I did not need a quantity surveyor or engineer as most of the work on this was included in the TF costs.

All this work, except for the sound insulation installation (messy job!) was done by registered professionals.

Attached a couple of photos taken last week.

Budget for remaining internal work based on quotes received is €70K

Looking good. What stage do you expect be at when you have the next €70k invested (what else needs to be allowed for)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 munstermolly

Really unusual house you must be proud to be at this stage. It is so different from the front and the back. The planning fees - is this the cost to the county council and have you a separate figure for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

How have you not needed an engineer ? Who checked your foundations etc? Who is doing the certs?

893bet wrote: »
    How have you not needed an engineer ? Who checked your foundations etc? Who is doing the certs?
    I meant a structural engineer for the steel work. This was included in the TF price. I got a cert from this engineer when the steel was in. I do have an engineer who is/will sign off on the various stages and provide certs. €2k for this. As we started before the new regs not as costly as it must be nowadays!

gooner99 wrote: »
    Looking good. What stage do you expect be at when you have the next €70k invested (what else needs to be allowed for)?
    We should be finished at that stage. That will include

wastewater system and percolation
    heating and plumbing including UFH and condensing boiler
    stairs (going for something a bit special as they are a central feature)
    screed
    sanitary ware
    internal plastering
    doors, architraves and skirting
    light fittings
    well (pressure tank etc)
    second fix electrics
    cooker
    flooring (tiling and some timber)

basically everything except kitchen units and decorating. I've prices in for pretty much all of the above and I have been a bit conservative in what I expect so I might even get it completed for a bit less.

Really unusual house you must be proud to be at this stage. It is so different from the front and the back. The planning fees - is this the cost to the county council and have you a separate figure for this?
    Thanks. We wanted more traditional front and modern back. Also back is most south facing so the big windows there.

Paid €431 for "development contribution". That's in with the other fees amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Who did you buy the windows from. Are they aluminium or alu-clad?

JonathonS wrote: »
    Who did you buy the windows from. Are they aluminium or alu-clad?
    I went for Nordan in the end. Alu clad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 JamesK23

I just had a price giving to me from Passive Builder who will also design the house. He has given me a price for all fees and construction costs of €125 per square foot. The site will need a well and waste treatment. The price did not include tiling, wooden floors, painting or the kitchen units. I also met with the bank recently who told me I should be able to bring a passive house finished in at around €100 per square foot .I thought it was quite expensive as the same builder told me in November he can bring in a project like mine for Approx €100 per square foot.

Advertisement