Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ski resort for family with 5 and 2 year old

Options
  • 17-09-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if anyone has a good idea of a resort for us to bring our 5 and 2 year olds ?
    The 5 yo will be skiing I presume but the 2 I am thinking will need some sort of creche for the mornings at least ?

Anyone any clue ?

I could go with booking a package or doing it myself, but I would still rather real advice on resorts rather than relying on the Travel Agent.

Any help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Val Cenis.

It's in France, and perfect for families with children. Ski school takes children from three years, creche takes babies from three months.

Stay in the CIS www.cis-valcenis.com and they have the whole thing organised. Get your kids to the front door and a little shuttle bus takes them to ski school and picks them up after, delivering them back in time for meals. Kiddie club in the evening.

The resort is great, as it has L'escargot, the longest green run in Europe, which zigzags down the mountain. No matter how tired or timid, any beginner can get home on that.

Plenty of good skiing for adults too.

We've been going there for years, and to be honest, we've sort of skied it out, but we've never found anywhere with a better set up for families.

The price quoted by the CIS includes ski pass and full board, but not travel to Val Cenis. You can fly to Turin or Geneva and hire a car or get the train, or fly to Paris and get an overnight train.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

My sister goes to les gets with a few people who have kids those ages.
    All the crèches and kiddy classes you need apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

All resorts will have ski schools for older kids and most will have creche facilities for the younger ones but the big question is how well the facilities link together and how much time does it take to get the kids sorted, and the adults out onto the snow. Some places can be a disaster!! Our worst was Les Arcs one year, where the local ski school branch didn't cater for under 6s so that was a bus ride to another village to start with, and then the kiddie area was up at the top of a hill with no uplift!! Starting the day carrying a 5 year old and kit uphill was certainly a good warm up!! Definitely not to be recommended, and if we'd known in advance there's no way we'd have gone there.

I agree with Eileen, Val Cenis is impossible to beat, especially at the price. We're going again for New Year, 7th year in a row. There's a separate thread on here if anyone wants to join us.

I'm not sure we've skied the place out yet though - I've just been away with an English girl who lives there with her ski instructor partner, and apparently there is lots more to discover. I can't wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks everyone, I will look into it

Advertisement