Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1.1 USB port with mobile broadband??

Options
  • 14-06-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey everyone, my very first post on boards.ie. Exciting times.. Anyway, my laptop has only 1 x 1.1 Usb port so i was wondering if i got mobile broadband will it be compatible?? probably going to buy a 4 port usb hub too so do i need to buy a 1.1 or if i bought the 2.0 does that matter?

As ye can guess i am not very up to date on this sort of stuff so and feedback would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Bonnie

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

firstly, welcome to boards.

As far as i know. it shouldnt be an issue. unless your internet speed was faster then the bus speed of the usbstick, then it shouldnt make a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bonnie_cash

Hiya, thanks for the warm welcome to boards. :)

God you were very fast at answering. I thought i'd be waiting ages for a reply. Thats great so if you think it'll be ok. Finally get rid of this nightmare called "Dial-Up"!! :p:p

Thanks for the fast reply.

Bonnie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

no problem. USB 1.1 still does speeds of 1.5Mbit (downloads @ speeds of 187.5 kilobytes per second). Your wireless broadband will be slower than that max speed.

Overheal wrote: »
    no problem. USB 1.1 still does speeds of 1.5Mbit (downloads @ speeds of 187.5 kilobytes per second). Your wireless broadband will be slower than that max speed.
    Thanks overheal. will definitely get mobile broadband so. Still just wondering is it ok to buy a 2.0 usb 4 port hub, considering the port i have is 1.1?

it will only run at 1.1 speeds if you plug it in through the USB 1.1 port. Its kinda a problem if you want to run a portable hard drive or something like that - moving files will be dog slow.

You can get a laptop card USB hub like this though

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb+2.0+pcmcia+card&oe=utf-8&cid=9078554578986600418&sa=title#ps-sellers

What model laptop is it specifically so we can google the full spec sheet? If you have a slot for that kinda card you're good to go. Most laptops will get 130+MB per second out of one of those card slots (full USB 2.0 at least) but if your laptop is really very old, it might only do 20MB, which is about 1/3 what USB2.0 can do. Thats still 15x faster than USB 1.1 though. Unless my math is dodgy :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you plug a usb 2 hub into a 1.1 laptop then they will run at the slower speed

so save your money and get a 4 port 1.1 hub for €2 in the pound shops

the only problem might be that you need to use two ports to get enough power for it

it will only run at 1.1 speeds if you plug it in through the USB 1.1 port. Its kinda a problem if you want to run a portable hard drive or something like that - moving files will be dog slow.

You can get a laptop card USB hub like this though

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=usb+2.0+pcmcia+card&oe=utf-8&cid=9078554578986600418&sa=title#ps-sellers

What model laptop is it specifically so we can google the full spec sheet? If you have a slot for that kinda card you're good to go. Most laptops will get 130+MB per second out of one of those card slots (full USB 2.0 at least) but if your laptop is really very old, it might only do 20MB, which is about 1/3 what USB2.0 can do. Thats still 15x faster than USB 1.1 though. Unless my math is dodgy :)
    Ok that hub looks really good. much better than the other ones i had been looking at. not very expensive either. My laptop is Dell Latitude C400. It's nothing major but does the job.. Thanks for ye're help..

No problem. You do have the older cardslot. so it will go at 20mb. Look out for one that says "Cardbus" on it though - that will probably run faster on what you have

example: "32-Bit CardBus/PCMCIA Type II slot compatible"

No problem. You do have the older cardslot. so it will go at 20mb. Look out for one that says "Cardbus" on it though - that will probably run faster on what you have

example: "32-Bit CardBus/PCMCIA Type II slot compatible"
    Hiya, just searching a few sites about them. Found a few there on ebay so must see which one i'll pick. Big fan of ebay. My poor credit card... Thanks for your help.

Advertisement