Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You know you're addicted when...

• 01-09-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

The highlight of my day today, is the St. Martin de Belleville website has changed their UI to their winter/Ski theme, from their summer theme. :cool:

Anyone else? :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

when... you are still watching the webcams in August. Hintertux has been foggy every time I've checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

when... you are still watching the webcams in August. Hintertux has been foggy every time I've checked.

Yeah, that was the reason I was visiting the St. Martin site, too - to watch the webcams. I'm probably not even going there this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

I have spent 3 hours in a snow dome in the UK bashing race gates and testing kit for 2014/15 and have hooked up with my sponsor for the next week!

My last week or soo!!

Fattes wrote: »
    My last week or soo!!

It's like Christmas morning!

• Advertisement

cormee wrote: »
    It's like Christmas morning!

In hell. Not one board. :(

In hell. Not one board. :(

They were in the back :) this should get you in the mood

http://youtu.be/EqbhRkrRxfA

They were in the back :) this should get you in the mood

http://youtu.be/EqbhRkrRxfA

Been in the mood since my last trip.

I waxed the new board at the weekend out of boredom and it smells nice too, new pack is on the way from Seattle, other stuff on the way from blue t, and just waiting on confirmation from a mate before booking a month in Tirol. I'm totally hooked.

before booking a month in Tirol.

Who the what now?

:eek:

Who the what now?

lol yep I'm hooked. Planning on renting a car and visiting as many resorts as I can using the Tirol snowcard. Current employer says yes. Price is surprisingly not that bad.

• Advertisement

Who the what now?

Just bite the bullet and do it! Warning you will never go back to a normal life 😈

Just bite the bullet and do it! Warning you will never go back to a normal life 😈

My bags are as good as packed. I could be out the door in the time it takes me to find my passport. Just need finances to keep me on the snow and not in a crap job all day.

My bags are as good as packed. I could be out the door in the time it takes me to find my passport. Just need finances to keep me on the snow and not in a crap job all day.

You just need enough to eat, stay dry and ski! You will always be tight for cash, but you will always be happy

My wife, two kids, giant mortgage, and my full-time career might prove meddlesome! I make two trips per year as it is, that's a fix for my addiction until June/July (But BY JESUS is it coming back strong in the last few weeks. :mad: )

Also, not sure I could handle a month, by day 5 on my regular trips I'm always happy enough to hang up the boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

by day 5 on my regular trips I'm always happy enough to hang up the boots.

I'm usually like this by the end of day three if I'm honest with myself. Always book four though. And always end up pushing the last run out. I think only once have I not been on the last lift up at the end of a day's skiing. Rarely on the first one but that's a different story :pac:.

Pisteurs must hate me.

a148pro wrote: »
    I'm usually like this by the end of day three if I'm honest with myself. Always book four though. And always end up pushing the last run out. I think only once have I not been on the last lift up at the end of a day's skiing. Rarely on the first one but that's a different story :pac:.

Pisteurs must hate me.

I used to be the same, I have taken to the gyms in recent years to prepare me for my trips, starting two to three months before, three times a week. It makes a massive difference - no sore legs and bouncing out of bed first thing in the morning, every morning. Even with the gym though, I do feel drained by day five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Just booked St Anton, 31st of Jan. Now comes the best part; constant monitoring of conditions, watching as many YouTube clips as possible, researching the off-piste and of course convincing myself I need new gear!! Can't wait :D

Watched "Into The Mind" last night, it's on the US Netflix. It's a little too cinematic for me, sometimes I wasn't sure if I was watching Frozen Planet documentary or a ski movie! Second half of it was brill though, worth a watch either way.

Big fan of all these movies. I spend way to much time on youtube.

Xavier De le Rue, Jeremy Jones and Travis Rice would be some of the best. Yea I snowboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

Home at midnight, flights for next trip booked before breakfast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Chromecast is a great wee accessory for the you-tube clips :)

• Advertisement

hawkwind23 wrote: »

My tv is on my network anyway.

i dont even know what that means , too tech for an auld fella like me :)
    but the chromecast was easy set up and the ski vids are much better on the "big" screen.

heres a few old schoolers

http://www.newschoolers.com/nstv?video=83-399326

Yep have a jailbroken apple tv box it is priceless

My last week or soo!!

You can cast your phone screen to your TV now, at least you an on a Nexus device. So Vimeo is equally great to watch, I wish they'd bake in the cast functionality to the app itself though.

You can cast your phone screen to your TV now, at least you an on a Nexus device. So Vimeo is equally great to watch, I wish they'd bake in the cast functionality to the app itself though.

Can you cast your phone to the Chromecast? I've done it to the Xbox but didn't work well some other apps like Showbox. If it works with that I think I'll have to buy one.

I'm getting a bit off topic so just adding this: :eek::D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsotFHiqEw

stevire wrote: »
    Can you cast your phone to the Chromecast? I've done it to the Xbox but didn't work well some other apps like Showbox. If it works with that I think I'll have to buy one.

I'm getting a bit off topic so just adding this: :eek::D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsotFHiqEw

Sent that one a few times. Awesome run of pow. I watch this from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-y70ZOSzE0

If it doesn't work as I'm using a iPad to post this do a search for take me to the mountain.

Can you cast your phone to the Chromecast?

You definitely can on Nexus devices using the Chromecast app, on other devices try using Allcast (I haven't tried allcast, so I can't vouch for it).

According to Cnet these are the devices that support device mirroring:

Nexus 4
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 (2013)
    Nexus 10
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10
    HTC One M7
    HTC One M7 Google Play Edition
    LG G3
    LG G2
    LG G Pro 2

Sent that one a few times. Awesome run of pow. I watch this from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-y70ZOSzE0

If it doesn't work as I'm using a iPad to post this do a search for take me to the mountain.

Hah, great video, that's one I always switch on when I get home from the pub.

Well this morn

• Advertisement

Well this mornings post certainly got me excited!! I love my sponsors

Even though it's skiing gear I hate you just a little bit.

Even though it's skiing gear I hate you just a little bit.

Most of it is baggy enough to pass as board gear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

you bstrd

I feel a boardsie competition coming up to win some free gear!! :D:D:P

I feel a boardsie competition coming up to win some free gear!! :D:D:P

Might have a few t-shirts I could dispense! :D Will rummage through and see, Will be performing a bit of a clear out over the next week or two, and if anyone is interested there will be some kit available.

• Advertisement

any ski pants size large and im your man ;)

I got these in this mornings post, from my sponsors :P
    iEnYtful.jpg

(I sponsor myself, that counts right?)

I got these in this mornings post, from my sponsors :P
    iEnYtful.jpg

(I sponsor myself, that counts right?)

Nice, have you used Flow bindings before? I'm probably getting myself a pair of Flow NX2 SE, closer to my holidays.

Nice, have you used Flow bindings before? I'm probably getting myself a pair of Flow NX2 SE, closer to my holidays.

OK, I couldn't wait. You inspired me to buy them, so I just did :D

Strapping in on the lift has long been a dream of mine!

OK, I couldn't wait. You inspired me to buy them, so I just did :D

Strapping in on the lift has long been a dream of mine!

I like stepping off the lift with one foot in.

• Advertisement

I like stepping off the lift with one foot in.

I think I'll be less likely to crash into people if I'm strapped in fully coming off the lift, plus there's little or no effort required to get to the top of the piste, none of this pushing myself along with one foot, sidewards, shenanigans.

Haha nice, didn't take too much convincing!!

Yeah I've had a pair of the old flows for the last couple of years. These ones, think this model is nearly 10 years old now:
    flow-fl-5-snowboard-bindings-100-kitsilano-burnaby_7373961.jpg

Love them, only 2 downsides was getting out in powder and 'stepping in' on a hill. All the Flows from 2013 (i think) have the LSR system, which basically gives you the ratchet option if you need it. Now that my 2 downsides are addressed I'm hoping to these bindings will last me well! :D

I got mine at Surface 2 Air in the UK, had last years model on offer. They have the NX2 SE and AT on offer at the mo too:
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-se-bindings-2014-snowboard.html
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-at-2014-snowboard-bindings.html

Out of interest, why the SE over AT?

They have the NX2 SE and AT on offer at the mo too:
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-se-bindings-2014-snowboard.html
    http://www.s2as.com/flow-nx2-at-2014-snowboard-bindings.html

Out of interest, why the SE over AT?

I'm not sure I even considered the AT. When I'm buying something I get it into my head that I want that particular brand/style/model and pretty much all alternatives are invisible to me, it's probably better that way, otherwise I'd procrastinate forever.

Thanks for the links, I paid £181 on the the ebay store I just got them off, plus €7 for Parcel Motel, so it's pretty much the same price.

Tuning these things in is supposed to take a while though.

Tuning these things in is supposed to take a while though.

I don't think it'll be as bad with the ratchet system in place. Couple of runs will have you sorted and you won't have to touch it again in a long time.

The AT model is a little stiffer, I've a stiff board [insert stiffy joke] so wanted a binding to match. I like the snug fit of the one piece over the traditional two strap you get with the SE. You'll love them either way!

I like the snug fit of the one piece over the traditional two strap you get with the SE. You'll love them either way!

Sounds good, I am a divil for over-tightening the straps on traditional bindings, my feet tend to get very numb as a result, it will be nice not having to worry about that as well.

They arrived in Parcel Motel, Belfast already. That was a seriously quick turnaround.

I'm using this thread as the 'Apres Zone', anything goes...

Nabbed these from the Weather forum:

UK Weather is predicting snow, get those PP bets on...
    UK Winter 2014/15 Model Conclusion.

It’s hard to argue with that fact that most of the long range models are in some sort of agreement, that there will be a blocking event this winter. However, this pattern will not be dominant all winter, there will be breakdowns to milder conditions at times, although the transition will be difficult as cold air is notoriously difficult to displace. It may also be possible that the blocking set up will return, after any brief mild incursion.

So from what the seasonal forecast models are predicting, coupled with historical data, the conclusion at this moment in time, is that winter will indeed be colder than average. The pattern being predicted is likely to produce some lengthy cold periods, which will no doubt produce periods of snow.

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/uk-winter-201415-weather-forecast-predictions/

Snippet taken from: http://goo.gl/w2VXy4
    It appears that the famous Donegal postman ‘Michael Gallagher’ has called for heavy snowfalls affecting Ireland before Xmas – saying he is 99 percent sure that the country will see heavy falls of snow before Christmas and that Ireland will shiver soon, claiming that he has never seen so many berries on the trees a thing which he claims among other things as a sure sign of a cold winter weather ahead. However, he stated that he does not think it will be as cold as the recent severe seasons.

Joe Bastardi of weatherbell.com, a well known and highly respected long range forecaster, among others, has said Ireland and the UK will see prolonged severe freezes this season. However, many forecasters have been skeptical saying a mild winter season is on the way.

I'm using this thread as the 'Apres Zone', anything goes...

Nabbed these from the Weather forum:

UK Weather is predicting snow, get those PP bets on...

http://www.ukweatherforecast.co.uk/uk-winter-201415-weather-forecast-predictions/

Snippet taken from: http://goo.gl/w2VXy4

Good call, general banter thread.

Re: heavy snow in Ireland this winter - would be great, I've scouted some great places on the Curragh plains (where the parents live) for a cruise on the snowboard (with the wife driving alongside me in the car, obviously)

Car kickers are the best fun! Just make sure you have some angle of a landing!

Can any snowboarder explain the difference between flow bindings and regular ones to me?

Do we want to start a General Banter thread or perhaps a season 14/15 thread where anything goes but a focus on, weather reports, photos etc?

Flow are basically step in bindings. Foot in and pull the high back up to lock. Regular are two straps with ratchets to lock in place.

The theory of flow is sound but in practice many can't live with them or are unwilling to try.

Cheers appreciate that

• Advertisement
Advertisement