Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yurt! wrote: »
    The table in the link shows that the top three asylum seeking nationalities in Ireland by origin are Pakistani, Nigerian and Albanian in that order.

All crudholes in their own particular ways but can it be said they are warzones with people starving?

Interestingly the largest group of asylum seekers in Europe by far are Kosovars with significant amounts of Ukrainians.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/europe-migrant-crisis-where-are-asylum-seekers-coming-from-and-where-are-they-going-1.2299773
    Nigeria and Pakistan as a whole arent at war..but certain ethnic and religious minorities in both countries are persecuted and could seek asylum, as could gay nigerians and pakistanis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

wakka12 wrote: »
    Nigeria and Pakistan as a whole arent at war..but certain ethnic and religious minorities in both countries are persecuted and could seek asylum, as could gay nigerians and pakistanis

both these countries are huge there is nothing to stop people moving to another safer area, and if thats not good enough there are plenty of neighbouring countries that are safe

why does its always have to be the white man's burden

nokia69 wrote: »
    both these countries are huge there is nothing to stop people moving to another safer area, and if thats not good enough there are plenty of neighbouring countries that are safe

yeah thats true I agree, but the option is open to them so I don't criticise them for taking this much more enticing offer..move to a slightly less ****ty part of nigeria where I hopefully wont be further persecuted or live a safe cushy life in northern europe..hard decision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You might want to adjust the strap, its slipping again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

At the end of the day most people realise that war torn migrants need shelter. And TBH I don't have a problem with that at all.

There is always a BUT though.... because many are sitting on the coat tails of the war zones, and they don't need to flee their countries at all, but are taking advantage of the influx to sneak in.

That is what makes me feel EU is being taken for a mug.

And there are so many men. So many, on their own. I just cannot figure out why they would leave their families, mothers, daughters, etc. to survive in a war zone.

Are they totally selfish or what?

I just do not understand the dearth of women in Calais for example. I know it is a bit different in Macedonia. But then again.... all roads lead to Germany it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

At the end of the day most people realise that war torn migrants need shelter. And TBH I don't have a problem with that at all <snip>

</snip> And there are so many men. So many, on their own. I just cannot figure out why they would leave their families, mothers, daughters, etc. to survive in a war zone.

Are they totally selfish or what?

I just do not understand the dearth of women in Calais for example. I know it is a bit different in Macedonia. But then again.... all roads lead to Germany it seems.

Some of the lesser shown pictures of the migrants show things like iphones and samsung phones, adidas/nike shoes and all sorts of branded clothing. Many videos/pictures of the migrants show a lot of puma, adidas, nike etc.
    I might be wrong, but is this the attire of the impoverished and hungry? Or those fleeing war? Do war refugees who didn't have time to bring any documentation on the way out remember to bring their smartphone and charger and their best pair of clothes?

timmyntc wrote: »
    Some of the lesser shown pictures of the migrants show things like iphones and samsung phones, adidas/nike shoes and all sorts of branded clothing. Many videos/pictures of the migrants show a lot of puma, adidas, nike etc.
    I might be wrong, but is this the attire of the impoverished and hungry? Or those fleeing war? Do war refugees who didn't have time to bring any documentation on the way out remember to bring their smartphone and charger and their best pair of clothes?

Firstly, the provenance of those photos is usually unknown. Secondly the word "knock off" may be relevant. Thirdly, they are impoverished and hungry now, they weren't nessecarily before they fled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

"Take up the White Man's burden, The savage wars of peace—
    Fill full the mouth of Famine And bid the sickness cease;
    And when your goal is nearest The end for others sought,
    Watch sloth and heathen Folly Bring all your hopes to nought."
    -Rudyard Kipling

White mans burden is more about the folly of western intervention, which is a major contribution to the current crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

timmyntc wrote: »

Begs the question as to whether they're on Bill-Pay or Pre-Pay,and what Network is the preferred one whilst afloat on the briny Mediterranian.

Perfectly valid point re Identity Documentation vs Telephonic Equipment ...;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

In last weeks news the government said that all migrants will be finger-printed on arrival. I wonder will this actually be the case, hopefully they are. The last thing we need is more migrant criminals coming in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

Douglas Murray makes some interesting points on mass immigration to the UK at the Oxford Union, January 2014

This is the future here in Ireland if we allow mass immigration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

In last weeks news the government said that all migrants will be finger-printed on arrival. I wonder will this actually be the case, hopefully they are. The last thing we need is more migrant criminals coming in here.

Haha I doubt it.

That would be the sensible thing.

Our leftie do gooders would never allow it.

There would be uproar, accusations of institutionalised racism, racial profiling, stereotyping etc all BS but still..never going to happen

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Haha I doubt it.

That would be the sensible thing.

Our leftie do gooders would never allow it.

The elections are coming soon, so maybe we should vote in someone that can implement this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

The elections are coming soon, so maybe we should vote in someone that can implement this.

I'd be all for that.

wakka12 wrote: »
    There would be uproar, accusations of institutionalised racism, racial profiling, stereotyping etc all BS but still..never going to happen

I see that they will be fingerprinted in Italy and Greece. Sure they will just let them cross either way. We need to fingerprint them ourselves.
    Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgerald has said the first of the 600 migrants from Syria and Eritrea whom Ireland has pledged to accept will be arriving from September onwards.

She said the new arrivals will be fingerprinted and assessed in Italy and Greece before eligibility is decided.

Source: http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0721/716139-migrants/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I worry about how these people will integrate into their new homes in Europe. http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b69_1440453945

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Photographed too would be prudent as seen upon entry into Dubai

Nodin wrote: »
    There's one or two minority sects in Pakistan that would certainly have a strong case. Nigerians on less solid ground but there can be a case made for some. Can't think of any good grounds for Albania at all though.

Pakistani Christians get a very hard time in Pakistan. I think they should be the top of the queue for asylum here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Its a can of worms the whole situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Our politicians are much too easily shaken by a few comments from a loud minority. It's all about PR for them, as demonstrated by Jan O Sullivan's asylum seeker stunt.
    If we were to be as loud and brash about immigrants then maybe they might listen to us too, the problem is no-one wants to come out against immigration for fear of being branded a racist, a fascist, or a xenophobic bigot: regardless of what your reason for being anti immigration (or even just a sceptic of). In a modern world where everything is connected and anonymity is near non-existant, everything you do online can be traced back to you, and to your employer, your family etc. So a public shaming can easily destroy ones career or livelihood as happens fairly often stateside.

This so-called racial profiling accusations used is just nonsensical, the usual race-card as is so-well known. We as a country have to make sure for the safety of its citizens that any migrant or refugee that enters our country is free from criminal convictions and criminal activities from elsewhere as well. It has to be done whether the government like it or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Im afraid to say the floodgates are opened, in 10 years time when there is social unrest and hoods and terrorist bombings and over Europe, people can look back at this summer as been the start of it.
    Also im starting to become a wee bit anti american, they go in and invade countries in the mid east and Africa and we are left deal with the mess of failed states and borders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The last thing we need is more migrant criminals coming in here.

What do you think these migrants will live on when they're here?
    In "our" experience, they won't find a job, they will beg on the streets if you're lucky. In the worst, and more likely, scenario they will end up in the drug dealing business, they will steal and rob, they will stand at traffic lights and wash your windscreen for money, they will demand money when you park your car 'just to be safe that your car won't receive any damage while you're away', they will sell fake and counterfeit goods at street corners, and when they feel bored, they will harass and rape your girls and women.
    They will colonize town and city neighborhoods, you will see them gather at a dark spot on footpaths acting suspiciously and you'll feel uneasy and unsafe to walk out your home door. Your neighborhood will become unwelcoming, homes value will decrease but you will sell it anyway because you can't stand this kind of life anymore. Shops in the area will change their signs, in some of them you will never want to get in.
    This 'worst scenario' and much more is what we're already living here!
    Are you ready for this?

What do you think these migrants will live on when they're here?
    In "our" experience, they won't find a job, they will beg on the streets if you're lucky. In the worst, and more likely, scenario they will end up in the drug dealing business, they will steal and rob, they will stand at traffic lights and wash your windscreen for money, they will demand money when you park your car 'just to be safe that your car won't receive any damage while you're away', they will sell fake and counterfeit goods at street corners, and when they feel bored, they will harass and rape your girls and women.
    They will colonize town and city neighborhoods, you will see them gather at a dark spot on footpaths acting suspiciously and you'll feel uneasy and unsafe to walk out your home door. Your neighborhood will become unwelcoming, homes value will decrease but you will sell it anyway because you can't stand this kind of life anymore. Shops in the area will change their signs, in some of them you will never want to get in.
    This 'worst scenario' and much more is what we're already living here!
    Are you ready for this?

This is why this shy Irish government needs to implement mandatory fingerprinting of any and all migrants to Ireland. They either do this or there will be a lot of problems down the road in the coming years with non arrests while these criminals just hop on a boat out of the country or up north.

You need fingerprinting and photographs off all of these folk entering our country to keep track of any criminal behaviour. It's a no-brainer, but this government are more worried about the out of date racial card scenario. Fingerprint them all, every single one of them. If they have nothing to hide then they have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Letree wrote: »
    Pakistani Christians get a very hard time in Pakistan. I think they should be the top of the queue for asylum here.

Why should they?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 647 ✭✭✭RichardCeann

We have discussed solutions and the veracity of these peoples asylum claims. But how do people see this panning out in the longterm? Our elected representatives here and those abroad seem to have little interest in stemming the flow. So how will this all work out longterm? Personally, as long as this continues, I can see Europe become more divided with a lot of people swinging to the right.

Why should they?

They will integrate better for a start. We are going to have to take asylum seekers we may as well take ones that will integrate.

They will integrate better for a start.

Why, because they're christian?

They're still from a different culture. We're just starting to move to being a post-christian country, the last thing we need is a bunch of evangelical christians who will be against any kind of social progress.

• Advertisement

We have discussed solutions and the veracity of these peoples asylum claims. But how do people see this panning out in the longterm? Our elected representatives here and those abroad seem to have little interest in stemming the flow. So how will this all work out longterm? Personally, as long as this continues, I can see Europe become more divided with a lot of people swinging to the right.

Easy, use your vote to vote in a party that will do something about it, or that will put continuous pressure on the next government to do something about it.

This government and the Irish folk as well that voted yes in the Lisbon Treaty 2 vote pass have basically started the change for worse of our country into a coming cesspool. Sure look at Britain, look what happened there, and now they are implementing a serious law to deal with it, but only when it reached crisis point. Are we going the same way about it now ? damn right we are, blind to what is coming.

The germans have already caved, I just saw an item on the news where they're no longer going to require that people register in the first country that they come to. This effectively is opening the door and saying "everybody come on in!".

What's going to happen is more ghettoes, more mosques, more madrassas, more pressure against freedom of speech, more rape and sexual assault, more violence, more terrorism. And some nice restaurants.

They're still from a different culture. We're just starting to move to being a post-christian country, the last thing we need is a bunch of evangelical christians who will be against any kind of social progress.

I used to go out with a girl from pakistani christian family years ago in England. Their family had no issue. I knew quite a few muslims there too. There was no way in hell i could ever have had the same relationship with a girl from a muslim community. They integrate better.

Not that you're pre-judging or anything.

They will integrate better for a start. We are going to have to take asylum seekers we may as well take ones that will integrate.

Do you know who will largely integrate seamlessly? Skilled professionals. Stick with the critical skills permit for non EU citizens and we won't go too far wrong. It is the other loopholes available that I am concerned about. This 'asylum', 'studying English', illegals getting here and claiming to have been in a container for three months, non EU and EU citizens getting married even though they can't speak the same language is the craic that will bring problems.

Skilled professionals that will plug gaps in our labour market or entrepreneurs who will create jobs; welcome aboard. For the rest, there is always Sweden.

TBF Gadaffi actually was a loon it wasn't just media lies

"I Muamar bin Mohammed bin Abdussalam bin Manyar bin Humayd Al Fuhsi Gaddafi do swear that there is no other God but Allah and that Mohammed is Gods prophet ,peace be upon him

I pledge that I will die a Muslim

Should I be killed I would like to be buried according to Muslim rituals in the clothes I was wearing at the time of my death and my body unwashed in the cemetery of Sirte next to my family and relatives.I would like that my family especially women and children be treated well after my death .

The Libyan people should protect its identity,achievements ,history and honourable image of its ancestors and heroes
    The Libyan people should not relinquish the sacrifices of the free and the best .
    I call on my supporters to continue the resistance and fight any foreign aggressor against Libya today , tomorrow and always.
    Let the free people of the world know that we could have bargained over and sold our cause in return for a personal secure and stable life . We received many offers to this effect but we chose to be at the vanguard of the confrontation as a badge of duty and honour .

Even if we do not win immediately we will give a lesson to future generations that choosing to protect the nation is an honour and selling it out is the greatest betrayal that history will remember despite the attempts of the others to tell you otherwise"
    The last will and testament of Muammar Gaddafi,Sirte,Libya
    October 17th 2011

• Advertisement

I will say one thing though, the Polish and Chinese have integrated very well here in Ireland, and that's a given, and fair play to them as an intelligent people. Of course there are Polish criminals and the same with Chinese criminals, but the overall majority of both of these peoples out-weigh the bad. I'm not going to mention fingerprinting and documenting again as this should have been done from day one of the Lisbon Treaty 2 vote pass.

It's not racism, it's just an important mechanism to make sure that the criminal element from outside does not gain access. We have enough problems of our own at this time to deal with.

Do you know who will largely integrate seamlessly? Skilled professionals. Stick with the critical skills permit for non EU citizens and we won't go too far wrong. It is the other loopholes available that I am concerned about. This 'asylum', 'studying English', illegals getting here and claiming to have been in a container for three months, non EU and EU citizens getting married even though they can't speak the same language is the craic that will bring problems.

Skilled professionals that will plug gaps in our labour market or entrepreneurs who will create jobs; welcome aboard. For the rest, there is always Sweden.

The marriage scam is only being dealt with now at this time. Look how long that took, crazy indeed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/minister-to-crack-down-on-sham-marriages-348977.html

The marriage scam is only being dealt with now at this time. Look how long that took, crazy indeed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/minister-to-crack-down-on-sham-marriages-348977.html

its actually worse than that

many muslims in the UK import their brides from their home countries, usually a first cousin, with predictable public health results

these marriages are not really scams as such, but it does result in a continued increase of the islamic population in Europe

if you look at the news and see most of the "refugees" are young men, many will also import wives at a future point

this year the Germans think they are taking in 800K "refugees" well its going to be a lot more once they start getting married and having children at a higher rate than the Germans who will pay for it all

its actually worse than that

many muslims in the UK import their brides from their home countries, usually a first cousin, with predictable public health results

these marriages are not really scams as such, but it does result in a continued increase of the islamic population in Europe

if you look at the news and see most of the "refugees" are young men, many will also import wives at a future point

this year the Germans think they are taking in 800K "refugees" well its going to be a lot more once they start getting married and having children at a higher rate than the Germans who will pay for it all

Nobody seems to be thinking forward 50 years. To the time of our grandchildren. What will Europe be like then.

Nobody seems to be thinking forward 50 years. To the time of our grandchildren. What will Europe be like then.

there are two possible outcomes

1 Europe as we know it will no longer exist and it will slowly become part of the islamic world

2 the people of Europe grow some balls and stop the madness that can only result in the end a once great civilisation

• Advertisement

This little Island Ireland in 50 years will be overcrowded with many folk living on boats on the coasts because of more shortages of housing and lack of greenery. Ever feel the discomfort of living in a shoe ?. Apartments will be the size of a shoebox with no garden. It will be like one big-ass city all-in-one while the call for prayer is blasting out at 4am.

Thank fcuk I'll be dead by then.

Joking obviously

Logical response to immigrants and protection of borders
    "The government has announced that all persons arriving at ports and airports in Ireland will be photographed and fingerprinted from the 1st October 2015.Those who hold Irish passports will also be required to obtain a National Identity cards from designated offices closing date being 20 January 2018. It will be a requirement by law for all Irish citizens to carry the card from this date forward and both customs and Gardai may ask for it to be produced at any time . Non Irish citizens living or working in the state must present themselves to designated areas to be processed for a temporary identity card that must be renewed every 3 years ."

Irish response
    "We are monitoring things closely and talking to our European colleagues on a regular basis regarding this issue. We hope that someone will put it to the Dail in 2035 and implement it in 2199"

This little Island Ireland in 50 years will be overcrowded with many folk living on boats on the coasts because of more shortages of housing and lack of greenery. Ever feel the discomfort of living in a shoe ?. Apartments will be the size of a shoebox with no garden. It will be like one big-ass city all-in-one while the call for prayer is blasting out at 4am.

Thank fcuk I'll be dead by then.

Joking obviously

we already have housing shortages

and despite having the lowest population density in the EU, we build the smallest houses and flats in the EU

we have the dumbest ruling class in the western world, and thats really saying something

in the end we will get what we deserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tongue in cheek,

But at this stage it is looking like the EU should decamp to Africa, boot out the charities and the dictators, and set up a great union, utilising all that is good there, specially the fekkin weather. Make Africa the place to be with all the advantages of the EU.

Then all the migrants will return to their native home, and EU can go back to fix the indigenous wasteland.

But that is just a fable tale. With some truth though I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Some people make valid points about the migrants but the underlining argument for not letting the migrants in is that weare not are responsible. It would be wonderful if they did come under better circumstances as tourists or an exchange of culture. In this case America and the like are bombing all their countries that is why they are here. Send them back and force the Weapons industry to stop selling AK47's to the Jihadists.

we already have housing shortages

and despite having the lowest population density in the EU, we build the smallest houses and flats in the EU

we have the dumbest ruling class in the western world, and thats really saying something

in the end we will get what we deserve

Indeed. If Irish folk keep voting in FF FG & Labour God forbid the Green Party then we will be doomed for eternity. But do we have a way out ? yes we do, everyone vote for Independent and that will cause chaos.

there are two possible outcomes

1 Europe as we know it will no longer exist and it will slowly become part of the islamic world

2 the people of Europe grow some balls and stop the madness that can only result in the end a once great civilisation

3- This all somehow works out and we all live side by side in relevant harmony. Multiculturalism kinda works in Canadas big cities. Perhaps we are all wrong and things will work out A ok here too. Wishful thinking, I know, but I really wouldn't mind being wrong here and my fears for the future are overblown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Gadaffi portrayed as the loon,the fruitcake,monster and imbecile by the West when in fact he was probably the most cunning,informed and able of all the leaders in the Middle East.
    He said he wanted gold dinars for his oil, but the yanks prefer everyone to pay in paper dollars which they can print more of whenever they need to. Shortly after that he met his end. At times he was a cruel dictator, but then the arab and middle eastern countries have traditionally been ruled over by their "strongmen". As we have seen since his death, these countries tend to descend into chaos otherwise. The same applies in Syria now with Assad.
    Not as hard a time as jews or atheists. Basically, every non-muslim gets a hard time in an Islamic dominated country. Does that mean every non-muslim should leave those countries and come to Europe?
    And should we then expel all European muslims in retaliation?
    No, these are not solutions, they make things worse.
    We in the EU could use foreign aid and/or trade sanctions to influence other countries, to encourage them to give more equality and freedom to their own citizens.

3- This all somehow works out and we all live side by side in relevant harmony. Multiculturalism kinda works in Canadas big cities. Perhaps we are all wrong and things will work out A ok here too. Wishful thinking, I know, but I really wouldn't mind being wrong here and my fears for the future are overblown.

but even if its a peaceful hand over to our new islamic masters its still the end of Europe

Germany is great because the Germans have made it great, if its full of people from the middle east then its not longer Germany, we are not all the same, if we were then there would be countries in the turd world just as good as as the European average, but none are

Germany for the Germans, Ireland for the Irish, Arabia for the Arabs

Multiculturalism is BS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

but even if its a peaceful hand over to our new islamic masters its still the end of Europe

Germany is great because the Germans have made it great, if its full of people from the middle east then its not longer Germany, we are not all the same, if we were then there would be countries in the turd world just as good as as the European average, but none are

Germany for the Germans, Ireland for the Irish, Arabia for the Arabs

Africa for the Africans, Asia for the Asians, Arabia for the Arabs and Europe for everyone.

Multiculturalism is BS

Fixed that for you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement