Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Grayson wrote: »
    We've only just hit prefamine populations and are still one of the least densly populated countries in western europe.

with major social crisis's of our own to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

they are going to come in their droves no matter what.

There's no debating with you if you think that numbers will not increase if we open the doors. Give them an open invitation. Of course the word will spread and nbrta will skyrocket. Theresa May'a strategy is spot on....we will end up taking some, for sure, but not as many as people with your views want us to and we will actively return those who are not genuine asylum seekers.

What we will absolutely not do in the uk under the current government (and Ireland will follow) is bend over and accept those quotas. We will continue to support a strategy that sends them back. And that will not change. We are not going to give them an open invitation like you seem to want to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Of course it is.

of course its not. sorry, i don't buy it has stopped the boats.
    Abbot's government has largely stopped illegal migration

i'm sure it has. but at the end of the day, as long as the public believe it thats all that matters.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

So you think that because Irish people were treated like **** by racists we shouldn't take people in here and we should just as racist as the people who made life hard for the Irish?

No, but your argument rested upon the "Irish people emigrated and it was fine, we should allow Muslims to immigrate and it will be fine". That's not what happened. Irish people emigrated to largely homogenous nations, and that still resulted in culture clashes. To think that mass immigration of Muslims somehow won't result in culture clashes is absolutely ridiculous.
    At what part did this turn into a "take people into your home" thread. You do realise how absolutely stupid that is.

You want to help people. Why not help people here who need it just as much?
    Most muslim societies are very similar to here. Do you know anything about mainstream islam? Have you seen the muslims who are here already destroying our society? Strangely Ireland is a popular country with muslim immigrants because we are socially conservative.

Yes, actually, I do. I have quite a few Muslim friends, probably prefer them to a great many Irish people. The fact of the matter is, they are secular in their beliefs. Not all Muslims are like that, and saying "oh well I have had a nice interaction with secularists, surely all Muslims are like that" is dangerously naive. Islam does have a higher proportion of people willing to commit violence in its name than normal.
    I have a feeling that all you know about islam is what you have read in the daily mail. I've lived in a secular muslim country that has since turned religious. Lots of people there are fleeing and after syria it has the second largest displaced population in the middle east because of people fleeing ISIS.

Yes, of course. I'm a closeted xenophobe. It's not like I have genuine reason to believe mass immigration of people (who happen to be Muslim, by nature of geography) isn't a good idea.
    Is it just islam you have a problem with?Would you be ok with christian immigrants who are fleeing persecution? Or how about white muslims? Ot white christians? Seriously, if you answer one question let me know who you think are acceptable.

No, it isn't just Islam I have a problem with. Yes, Islam is an important factor to consider, but it is not the end-all, be-all. Christian immigrants? Yes, I don't think we should allow mass immigration. That will strain our system and lead to a reduced standard for all. What does "white" Muslim or Christian have to do with anything? If you want to call me a racist, be upfront about it, and don't hide behind such tactics.

Who do I think is acceptable? Those who want and, more importantly, deserve to be here. Those who realize the West is the West. Those who will adapt to our culture and way of life, rather than moving here and bitching at us about why it isn't more like back home. You want to live here? Fine. Want to work and have a family? Fine. Want to enjoy the fruits of the secular West? Absolutely fine. Want to bitch about the West? Not fine. Want to try and scare people into being afraid of being called racist? Not fine. Want to resort to violence when people draw pictures and cartoons? Not. Fúcking. Fine.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    And yet we have a housing shortage in our capital city, and many of our towns have been decimated by the recession - but sure let's invite boat loads of economic migrants in with nothing to support themselves.. what could go wrong?!!

I know the current Government would make you wonder, but this is still a democratic country last I checked. I'm not sure I buy into your "this is how it is.. tough!" attitude to that.
    you will have to buy into it though, as it is happening whether you want it to or not. and there is nothing you can do to stop the government from taking in refugees

• Advertisement

of course its not. sorry, i don't buy it has stopped the boats.

i'm sure it has. but at the end of the day, as long as the public believe it thats all that matters.

Do you really think everything is a conspiracy? That you're in the minority of people who've "seen the truth"?

I mean... Come on, man.

There's no debating with you if you think that numbers will not increase if we open the doors. Give them an open invitation. Of course the word will spread and nbrta will skyrocket. Theresa May'a strategy is spot on....we will end up taking some, for sure, but not as many as people with your views want us to and we will actively return those who are not genuine asylum seekers.

What we will absolutely not do in the uk under the current government (and Ireland will follow) is bend over and accept those quotas. We will continue to support a strategy that sends them back. And that will not change. We are not going to give them an open invitation like you seem to want to do

oh britain will bend over. Theresa May just spouts this and that just to keep the rabel rabel types on side to ensure they vote torey and not UKIP. in fairness the strategy has worked as they got elected again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

you will have to buy into it though, as it is happening whether you want it to or not. and there is nothing you can do to stop the government from taking in refugees

for now thats true

but if the government take the piss and do what the looney left want then people will vote them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

We've only just hit prefamine populations and are still one of the least densly populated countries in western europe.

prefamine ireland was a poverty stricken hovel. we basically lived in makeshift huts. it was a disaster zone. things are a million times better now, and we still have a massive housing crisis. with families who thought they were secure now finding themselves homeless.

we are not in the best position to be taking on this humanitarian crisis. we have our own crisis right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

"pc waffle" . can you not post a rant without using that bigoted term "pc" . there is no such thing as pc. its a myth. low rent refers to those who use such terms as part of their rants. "i'm not racist but" is another one for example
    "an attempt at pc" dear jesus. its about time the low rent who use this racist bigoted term "pc" get it into their heads that it doesn't exist.

Suffering jesus. You're just here to give out about the term PC again aren't you ? Another desperate repeat of the same moronic rant about how "PC doesn't exist". It's a term. It's been and still is used by people from all sides of the political spectrum. There was even a satirical TV show titled "Politically Incorrect" hosted by Bill Maher. But of course it's been explained to you dozens of times. You'd argue that grass wasn't green, you're that infantile. Maybe learn to construct a sentence like someone over the age of 13 before classing other people as "low rent".

Humiliating yourself. Again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It actually makes me curious. What if we were to put all these people in one town up in say Donegal, relatively isolated but still close enough to avail of state services and stuff.

Would it become something like Malmo, where criminal gangs take over, or would it function completely the same?

It's 200 odd per 20,000. So if 40,000 come in, we have to see 400. Our number will probably go up seeing as how the British are refusing to agree.

It would turn into a hellhole. These people come from horrible uncivilised societies that don't value human rights and take life for granted. Its no reflection on any of the individuals, and I think if immigrants are incorporated into western society gradually and in small numbers they can contribute in many positive ways to our society. But put them together, they stick to the laws and customs of their homeland, and this hypothetical ghetto will turn into a mini version of the god awful countries they were fleeing from in the first place

oh britain will bend over. Theresa May just spouts this and that just to keep the rabel rabel types on side to ensure they vote torey and not UKIP. in fairness the strategy has worked as they got elected again

I don't think you are in tune with what most people want. May won't back down on this one, just how we haven't backed down on taking people from the Calais camps. There is a European referendum next year, remember, and bending over and accepting these quotas will certainly add some points to the 'out' camp

You want to help people. Why not help people here who need it just as much?

how do you know he isn't. our problems are nothing compared to these countries.
    Islam does have a higher proportion of people willing to commit violence in its name than normal.

oh i don't know. irish catholics commited acts of violence and terrorism upon this country for decades. ask the survivers and the stolen children from the laundries for example
    Those who will adapt to our culture and way of life

what "culture" and what "way of life"
    Want to bitch about the West? Not fine.

it is fine. freedom of speach. as long as they aren't preaching violence, bitch away. nobody with any sense will listen anyway
    Want to try and scare people into being afraid of being called racist? Not fine.

who is being "scared into being afraid of being called racist" from what i can see, only racists are being scared and are afraid to be called racist which is good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭xhoundx

no it won't. it never has and it never will. look at france, they have been doing exactly that. sending people back. hasn't worked now has it

Our borders are a hell of a lot easier to police than Frances. What's your opinion on the troubles in France stemming from the ghettos that house a lot of these migrants? See any lessons we could learn there?
    it won't make a difference. if one is desperate to get to a particular country then do it they will eventually.

See above.

we do i'm afraid. we voted for it and signed up to the treaties that mean we have such obligations.

Which treaties did we vote for to allow non European migrants in?

what "way of life"

The Irish way of life. I suspect this comment was fishing for some racist ammo you could use on me. Try again
    what "needyness to be seen to be caring" . i don't need ofbe "seen to be caring" . the "rest of us" whoever "us" is will care whether they want to or not. ireland is going to take in some of these refugees whether you like it or not. get used to it, its happening and there is nothing you can do about it.

You ignored my suggestion at ****ing off to Africa for a few months, go and take your wife/Girlfriend/daughter with you, when you come back you can enlighten us all to your first hand experience of integrating with your new foreign friends.

nokia69 wrote: »
    the looney left

as opposed to the "racist right" . see i can play that game as well

wakka12 wrote: »
    It would turn into a hellhole. These people come from horrible uncivilised societies that don't value human rights and take life for granted. Its no reflection on any of the individuals, and I think if immigrants are incorporated into western society gradually and in small numbers they can contribute in many positive ways to our society. But put them together, they stick to the laws and customs of their homeland, and this hypothetical ghetto will turn into a mini version of the god awful countries they were fleeing from in the first place

Oh, it's not hypothetical. There's neighbourhoods in Berlin, Paris, and most obviously Malmo, Sweden. The police get run out. This is likely down to economic pressure from recession, but the fact they want Sharia law is quite obviously another factor.

We should take in whichever people want to integrate and assimilate, there should be no question about it. But I don't think taking in tens of thousands is a good idea.

Suffering jesus. You're just here to give out about the term PC again aren't you ? Another desperate repeat of the same moronic rant about how "PC doesn't exist". It's a term. It's been and still is used by people from all sides of the political spectrum. There was even a satirical TV show titled "Politically Incorrect" hosted by Bill Maher. But of course it's been explained to you dozens of times. You'd argue that grass wasn't green, you're that infantile. Maybe learn to construct a sentence like someone over the age of 13 before classing other people as "low rent".

Humiliating yourself. Again.
    oh i'm not. far from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭emo72

oh i'm not. far from it

you have convinced us all.

It's arguably just as racist to ignore the obvious culture differences because their skin isn't white, exempting them from such scrutiny as would be applied to Western Caucasians.

I don't think you are in tune with what most people want. May won't back down on this one, just how we haven't backed down on taking people from the Calais camps. There is a European referendum next year, remember, and bending over and accepting these quotas will certainly add some points to the 'out' camp

don't bank on it. in fairness the referendum if it ever happens will be an interesting one. the government might not want to leave as they get a good deal from it, surely some of the tories are MEPS won't they not be wanting to keep their expences and stay on that gravey train?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

don't bank on it. in fairness the referendum if it ever happens will be an interesting one. the government might not want to leave as they get a good deal from it, surely some of the tories are MEPS won't they not be wanting to keep their expences and stay on that gravey train?

Business want in

Ordinary tax payers want out of the EU apparently

It's arguably just as racist to ignore the obvious culture differences because their skin isn't white, exempting them from such scrutiny as would be applied to Western Caucasians.
    who says i ignore it

Gatling wrote: »
    Business want in

Ordinary tax payers want out of the EU apparently

oh i know. yes some ordinary tax payers want out, some don't as they realize it will be more difficult being out then in. business definitely wants in that is true, and the tories do like business so they will probably ensure a vote to stay on those grounds. i suppose it depends on which of their agendas they value more though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

There are thousands of Irish people moving abroad for economical reasons every month. Do those who are so opposed to migration think that they shouldn't be allowed to leave? Seems only fair really.

Do Irish economic migrants typically arrive in Canada, NZ or wherever with no means to support themselves, nowhere to live, unable to work and with substantially higher rates of medical complication than the general population?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

There are thousands of Irish people moving abroad for economical reasons every month. Do those who are so opposed to migration think that they shouldn't be allowed to leave? Seems only fair really.
    This. I find it really baffling and a bit arrogant when Irish people are hostile to immigration. I know it can't be a "free for all" as that's simply not possible to accommodate, but it isn't a "free for all" anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Do Irish economic migrants typically arrive in Canada, NZ or wherever with no means to support themselves, nowhere to live, unable to work and with substantially higher rates of medical complication than the general population?

Yes, many.

There are an estimated 50,000 undocumented Irish people in the US alone. People who can't make plans to legally work, rent or insure themselves prior to heading over.

Our own government are fighting on their side and many US politicians alongside them, to give those people some rights. It'd be a bit of a laugh if we were to outright refuse to even consider taking in migrants at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

This. I find it really baffling and a bit arrogant when Irish people are hostile to immigration. I know it can't be a "free for all" as that's simply not possible to accommodate, but it isn't a "free for all" anyway.

Do you understand the difference between illegal and legal immigration? Canada and Australia have reciprocal working holiday agreements in place with Ireland. The UK and Ireland have the common travel area and we have free movement of labour with the other 26 member states.

For non EU immigrants with skills that our labour market lacks, there is the Critical Skills employment permit. Within the EU, if they meet the requirements, they can apply for for an EU blue card, the red white and red card for Austria, the German jobseekers visa, the Danish greencard and that's just a small sampling of the visas and mechanisms they can use to legally migrate to the EU. Europe is far from a fortress.

If they do not have skills or qualifications that we require, then that is unfortunate for them, but ultimately not our problem. We should definitely not be allowing illegal immigrants, who come via boat, to stay in the EU. 170k have made to trip into Italy this year alone. The Italian Ministry for Immigration have stated that up to a million are currently in Libya coastal areas, waiting to make the trip across. It's summer now and calm seas. Tens of thousands more are going to come each week. The more get in, the more that will be encouraged to go to Libya to make the crossing. If this isn't a free for all, then what is?

As for irish illegals in the US, if apprehended I hope that they get deported. There are plenty of Irish people who would legally migrate to the US but who have joined the queue like everyone else.

The referendum will happen. The public is expecting it at this stage. Too late to back down. Will probably be brought forward to next year. The government will be wanting to stay in. It is the British people outside of London that they have to persuade. Opening the doors to floods of migrants hardly advances their case in what might be quite a close vote

I find your desire to open the doors and welcome in the world and his dog (or goat) astounding

• Advertisement

but I'm not racist and believe in no racist theories or ideas

but you on the other hand

we do i'm afraid. we voted for it and signed up to the treaties that mean we have such obligations.

Ireland, the UK and Denmark can opt out if they so wish. The EU cannot compel us to join. It's up to the government.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32705615

The referendum will happen. The public is expecting it at this stage. Too late to back down. Will probably be brought forward to next year. The government will be wanting to stay in. It is the British people outside of London that they have to persuade. Opening the doors to floods of migrants hardly advances their case in what might be quite a close vote

I find your desire to open the doors and welcome in the world and his dog (or goat) astounding
    anything to back up that i want to "open the doors and welcome the world and his whatever"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yes, many.

There are an estimated 50,000 undocumented Irish people in the US alone. People who can't make plans to legally work, rent or insure themselves prior to heading over.

Asylum seekers in Ireland aren't entitled to seek work & I'd imagine those that go about circumventing that preclusion constitute a tiny minority of the overall numbers.

As such, they are entirely reliant on the State for the provision of food, housing & medical care from day one.

Though the undocumented Irish are also banned from entering the labour market, their savings, wages and general health ensure the burden they place on the social services of their host country is a million times removed from that experienced by EU states attempting to get a handle on the current crisis.

but I'm not racist and believe in no racist theories or ideas

did i say that you did?
    but you on the other hand

oh? really? anything to prove that baseless accusation?

oh? really? anything to prove that baseless accusation?

I'm not saying you are racist

I'm saying your views are typical of the looney left

• Advertisement

Ireland, the UK and Denmark can opt out if they so wish. The EU cannot compel us to join. It's up to the government.

The Commission spokesperson told journalists on Tuesday that "the United Kingdom and Ireland will only be bound if they so choose"

Hopefully we follow the UK's lead and refuse to accept it.

did i say that you did?

you implied it

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Asylum seekers in Ireland aren't entitled to seek work & I'd imagine those that go about circumventing that preclusion constitute a tiny minority of the overall numbers.

As such, they are entirely reliant on the State for the provision of food, housing & medical care from day one.

Though the undocumented Irish are also banned from entering the labour market, their savings, wages and general health ensure the burden they place on the social services of their host country is a million times removed from that experienced by EU states attempting to get a handle on the current crisis.

As is, the asylum system costs the state €150 million per annum.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/ireland-spending-150-million-asylum-system-153955286.html

And apparently thats a bad thing? we NEED the refugees! we NEED to populate the island for no good reason! literally no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭MorpheusKnight

how do you know he isn't. our problems are nothing compared to these countries.

Let them seek refuge in Saudi and Iran. Countries whose culture is more condusive to the places they are coming from.

oh i don't know. irish catholics commited acts of violence and terrorism upon this country for decades. ask the survivers and the stolen children from the laundries for example

Oh, I don't know. Islam is creating pretty violent act RIGHT NOW

what "culture" and what "way of life"

You know - the democratic way of life that we are used to here in the West

it is fine. freedom of speach. as long as they aren't preaching violence, bitch away. nobody with any sense will listen anyway

who is being "scared into being afraid of being called racist" from what i can see, only racists are being scared and are afraid to be called racist which is good

Cuckoo. Islamism is a socio political way of life. Not just for weekends.

You - look at the bullsh*t that you want all people to subject to - - your mind.

• Advertisement

And apparently thats a bad thing? we NEED the refugees! we NEED to populate the island for no good reason! literally no reason.

Well, to be honest, I would like for us to industrialize the west/south-west of the country so that we can diversify from having a Dublin-heavy economy. We should keep the midlands as largely rural and scenic, but that's just me.

Should we ignore the fact that many muslim immigrants consider women living in our countries to be dirt? And I don't care what people say about generalising, there is a significantly higher number of muslims who are incredibly disrespectful towards women than in any other religion or culture and it creates a dysfunctional society.

I dont understand why the public isn't allowed decide whether this should be allowed or not. We will be the ones who will be living around thousands of these refugees not those sitting in government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭MorpheusKnight

Oh, it's not hypothetical. There's neighbourhoods in Berlin, Paris, and most obviously Malmo, Sweden. The police get run out. This is likely down to economic pressure from recession, but the fact they want Sharia law is quite obviously another factor.

We should take in whichever people want to integrate and assimilate, there should be no question about it. But I don't think taking in tens of thousands is a good idea.

Yazidi and Copts. They are being cleansed from the ME.

Sunni's and Shia's are just getting moved around.

They are coming to Europe and they are taking ALL the parking spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭DeadHand

The fact is most of these illegal migrants are illiterate, non-English speaking, unskilled and from deeply misogynistic, homophobic, frankly horrible cultures. Many will possess deeply held religious (guess which ones!) and cultural beliefs that are totally at odds with Western civilization.

They are unlikely to contribute anything but misery and burden to their host countries. At best, they will be parasitic presences in these nations, most of which still need to borrow money for their day to day running. At worst, they will actively seek to destroy these nations and replace our cultures with the backward misery they are fleeing. As we have seen.

If Europe attempts to absorb the coming exodus it's very fabric will be changed negatively forever and it will be faced with constant, re-occurring Malmos, Rotherhams and Paris' until Enlightenment is extinguished in Europe and replaced by a new era of imported religious tyranny.

The rescues must stop. It must be made known that if you attempt to enter Europe in a dangerous, illegal fashion you will quite likely die. A state that doesn't defend its borders is no longer a state. One that actively aids the penetration of illegal invaders through these borders certainly isn't. It's time for the states of Europe to defend theirs more rigorously or at least stop helping those who seek to violate them. It's the kinder option in the long run as it will result in fewer attempts, eventually fewer deaths when it is realized it is no longer a viable option and less long term damage to European civilization.

The solution to this is to help Africa as much as possible to keep people in Africa. Unfortunately, the incompetence, ignorance and greed of African governments makes this a difficult task. The West most take its share of the blame. Only now, as with Saddam, do we realize what a folly it was to remove Gaddafi. What a folly it would be to remove Assad. These tyrants left (or would leave) gaping holes quickly filled by something so much more expansionist and a chaos that now threatens to engulf Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

DeadHand wrote: »
    The fact is most of these illegal migrants are illiterate, non-English speaking, unskilled and from deeply misogynistic, homophobic, frankly horrible cultures. Many will possess deeply held religious (guess which ones!) and cultural beliefs that are totally at odds with Western civilization.

They are unlikely to contribute anything but misery and burden to their host countries. At best, they will be parasitic presences in these nations, most of which still need to borrow money for their day to day running. At worst, they will actively seek to destroy these nations and replace our cultures with the backward misery they are fleeing. As we have seen.

Sounds like people from Cork.

Honestly I don't know how people are calling for increases in immigration. Today over 20% of Britains population is foreign born, and by 2050 the majority of babies born in britain are predicted to be children of foreign mothers. How in any way is that a good thing? Im all for multiculturalism, but the replacement of an entire native populous with people coming from completely different cultures? No thanks. Yes SOME immigrants assimilate but as we can see in many of the dozens if not hundreds of ethnic ghettos across western europe, many if not most clearly don't take much of a liking to our customs or cultures and want life to be just like how it was back in sh!tholeville

I'm not saying you are racist

I'm saying your views are typical of the looney left
    like yours are typical of the racist right? i can play that nonsense as well

you implied it
    i didn't

I dont understand why the public isn't allowed decide whether this should be allowed or not. We will be the ones who will be living around thousands of these refugees not those sitting in government.
    because there is no need to allow us to decide on it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement