Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland to assist in migrant crisis in the Med.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Mourinho wrote: »
    Actually I'd love to know where have the thousands so far gone? Are they taken in or arranged in some sort of refugee camp or what?

Seen something along the lines the Italians have built several housing estates where the take arrivals to ,
    Many flee so they can't be finger printed and avoid the Dublin convention

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭emo72

Actually I'd love to know where have the thousands so far gone? Are they taken in or arranged in some sort of refugee camp or what?

quick google turned up this
    http://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/headlines/migrant-crisis-inside-italys-makeshift-refugee-city/vi-AAbBVc1

it really is something we dont want to be getting involved in. its a ****ing disaster. a few of the lads interviewed all wanted to go to england. where will our "gaddiffi hotel" be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

I know some of them are in refugee camps outside Calais. Otherwise I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Thank your lucky stars we're not Italians. Those poor fuckers are the ones bearing the brunt of these daily mass exoduses from Libya.

They took in 7,000 people in two days,the weekend before last.Their navy must be flat out.Its like the flood gates are after opening.

7000 in 2 days??? jaysus, thats the population of a fair sized town in ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The EU were happy to make us pay off the bondholders, all for the sake of "stopping contagion" and protecting their economies.

We took a huge hit on that, we owe them nothing.
    i'd go one further, and have told them to **** off we won't pay. but that would take someone with guts. in saying that, i've no issue with us helping the migrants. i'd hope to jesus we never experience the desperation of having to get on a boat knowing you may not make it to try flee

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Gatling wrote: »
    Seen something along the lines the Italians have built several housing estates where the take arrivals to ,
    Many flee so they can't be finger printed and avoid the Dublin convention

We don't even enforce the dublin convention here. If we did there wouldn't be 7k in temporary accommodation.

It's my tax money that will fund FG attempt at PC. Roll.on the elections and every one that knocks on my door I will ask a simple question if a past TD was not acting 100% in public interest that their pension (I fund) is withdrawn

When the Irish went to Australia, the US and Canada, they were treated like filth and only changed the system through violence and crime mixed with politics. Forgive me if I find your example of Irish integration a bit lacking.

Also, the comparison of Anglosphere citizens moving to other Anglo nations is a false equivalency. We weren't bring a massive culture change. We didn't bring our own language since most of us spoke English, we didn't ask for Brehon law... We were quite homogenous.

Then exactly how many do we take, and how do we sort them? Do we take those in direst need, split up families? Does one person needing to get here urgently mean all their family can come, taking up space for others who require urgent care?

Err... How many homeless have you taken into your own home? How many asylum seekers or non-EU migrants? You surely have room for one or two, no?

I bring that last part up not to slander you, but to support my point. It is human nature to not want to surrender what is "ours" for "them". Why should Ireland, which had absolutely no role in Libya, Iraq, Syria or Afghanistan have to pay the price? If we give the migrants a place to live, surely it will embolden yet more migrants to attempt the illegal crossing also?
    not taking them in won't stop them from crossing. all they would do if a majority of countries tried it, is simply cross anyway and simply hope they get through. and before you mention australias approach? i no more buy it actually works then the cat. the conservative government there has to say what it needs to to keep the gullible sheep on side for votes after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

visual wrote: »
    We don't even enforce the dublin convention here. If we did there would be 7k in temporary accommodation.

It's my tax money that will fund FG attempt at PC. Roll.on the elections and every one that knocks on my door I will ask a simple question if a past TD was not acting 100% in public interest that their pension (I fund) is withdrawn

We generally don't have to enforce the Dublin convention as most asylum seekers are sent back to the country they land in before they get to our shores,
    It's the main reason many asylum seekers will avoid authorities so they can't be finger printed

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Sure lets have a referendum on it...

We seem to have a fúcking referendum for everything these days.
    because they are issues that can only be changed by a change to the constitution. changes to the constitution requires a referendum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The EU were happy to make us pay off the bondholders, all for the sake of "stopping contagion" and protecting their economies.

We took a huge hit on that, we owe them nothing.

That's hardly the fault of the EU as an organisation. That's down to individual sates and their interests, and our own government's failure to be able to negotiate a fairer deal.

Ireland has benefited hugely from its membership of the EU. Perhaps moreso than any other member country.

You can still deal with the root cause of this migrant crisis, but if the EU is to allow some people to stay here then I can't think of a good reason why Ireland shouldn't do its bit once it's reasonable and proportioned.

There are thousands of Irish people moving abroad for economical reasons every month. Do those who are so opposed to migration think that they shouldn't be allowed to leave? Seems only fair really.

People can go on about economic reasons and hospital waiting lists but I don't see how allowing a few hundred migrants per twenty odd thousand is going to make those things worse. The housing crisis isn't going to be sorted out by disallowing migrants to come here, no matter how much people would like to think otherwise. A lot of our systems are broken, and it ain't down to how many people are allowed into the country.

visual wrote: »
    We don't even enforce the dublin convention here. If we did there would be 7k in temporary accommodation.

"an attempt at pc" dear jesus. its about time the low rent who use this racist bigoted term "pc" get it into their heads that it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Bring back Gadaffi.

Oh wait hes dead.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

272 per 20000 is over sixty thousand in total!

What timeframe is this over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

not taking them in won't stop them from crossing. all they would do if a majority of countries tried it, is simply cross anyway and simply hope they get through. and before you mention australias approach? i no more buy it actually works then the cat. the conservative government there has to say what it needs to to keep the gullible sheep on side for votes after all.

Maybe not. But we can do our best to send them back. Taking them will just encourage everyone to come. It would escalate the numbers to levels that it would be impossible to manage. Let alone the increased numbers that would die en route

i'd go one further, and have told them to **** off we won't pay. but that would take someone with guts. in saying that, i've no issue with us helping the migrants. i'd hope to jesus we never experience the desperation of having to get on a boat knowing you may not make it to try flee

These are not all refugees, End. Most of them are economic migrants. It's nice to see you're still blindly swinging for the left-wing though. "It's the bankers faults! The poor migrants we should take them all in!".

"I've no issue with us helping the migrants"

How many homeless people live in your home?

Both parties were anti-migration and had plans. Abbot just marketed his ideas better. Do you really think it's a conspiracy theory by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

They can fck right off, that would mean we would take in 68,000 migrants.
    Sure we have no housing crisis here and no one on social housing waiting list and all of these migrants will be put on the housing list.
    Lets not forget to add most of these migrants will be muslims, have we not had enough problems in Europe already instead of importing more in.
    Time for the government to take care of our own people which they can barely do already instead of importing poor migrants.

Mod: No need to have a go at the Muslims. Keep opinions like that to yourself if you want to continue posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Wasnt there stories of Christians being turfed out of the over crowded boats by muslims.

A blockade seems to be the best idea but we need to help the African countries more and maybe that would halt the mass migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

emo72 wrote: »
    7000 in 2 days??? jaysus, thats the population of a fair sized town in ireland.

It would be the 64th biggest town in ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

That's hardly the fault of the EU as an organisation. That's down to individual sates and their interests, and our own government's failure to be able to negotiate a fairer deal.

Ireland has benefited hugely from its membership of the EU. Perhaps moreso than any other member country.

You can still deal with the root cause of this migrant crisis, but if the EU is to allow some people to stay here then I can't think of a good reason why Ireland shouldn't do its bit once it's reasonable and proportioned.

There are thousands of Irish people moving abroad for economical reasons every month. Do those who are so opposed to migration think that they shouldn't be allowed to leave? Seems only fair really.

People can go on about economic reasons and hospital waiting lists but I don't see how allowing a few hundred migrants per twenty odd thousand is going to make those things worse. The housing crisis isn't going to be sorted out by disallowing migrants to come here, no matter how much people would like to think otherwise. A lot of our systems are broken, and it ain't down to how many people are allowed into the country.

A few hundred per 20,000 is an awful lot of immigrants in a country our size

wakka12 wrote: »
    A few hundred per 20,000 is an awful lot of immigrants in a country our size

ya...but......where is 20000 number coming from? can we all agree that once the word gets out that we are processing and dispersing throughout europe that there will be much bigger numbers pushing north? 1% of an open ended number can be quite large.

and i dont begrudge people trying to make a better life for themselves. im pretty sure we should help. but we can only give what we actually have. im not long back from A and E in beaumont hospital. thats 3rd world in there. will we have to make more cutbacks in there to house refugees and asylum seekers?

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Grayson wrote: »
    For centuries Irish people left this former craphole of a country. Pretty much every Irish family has relations in the US, Canada or Australia.

You're comparing immigration into vastly uninhabited new world, continent sized countries with resources to boot, to immigration into a tiny island off of the atlantic that is currently experience a social housing crisis, suffering from high unemployment and where essential services are being cut to the bone.

You realise this is an absurd comparison to make, right? .

wakka12 wrote: »
    It would be the 64th biggest town in ireland

It actually makes me curious. What if we were to put all these people in one town up in say Donegal, relatively isolated but still close enough to avail of state services and stuff.

Would it become something like Malmo, where criminal gangs take over, or would it function completely the same?
    emo72 wrote: »
    ya...but......where is 20000 number coming from? can we all agree that once the word gets out that we are processing and dispersing throughout europe that there will be much bigger numbers pushing north? 1% of an open ended number can be quite large.

It's 200 odd per 20,000. So if 40,000 come in, we have to see 400. Our number will probably go up seeing as how the British are refusing to agree.

Maybe not. But we can do our best to send them back. Taking them will just encourage everyone to come. It would escalate the numbers to levels that it would be impossible to manage. Let alone the increased numbers that would die en route
    sending them back has been tried and it has failed, they just keep coming, including those who have been sent back.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

mikeym wrote: »
    Wasnt there stories of Christians being turfed out of the over crowded boats by muslims.

They chucked them overboard! Murder Christians on your way to claim asylum in a predominantly Christian country. The mind boggles.
    Italian police say they have arrested 15 Muslim migrants after they allegedly threw 12 Christians overboard following a row on a boat heading to Italy.

The Christian migrants, said to be from Ghana and Nigeria, are all feared dead.

In a separate incident, more than 40 people drowned after another migrant boat sank between Libya and Italy.

Almost 10,000 migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean have been rescued in recent days. Italy has called for more help from the EU to handle the crisis.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32337725

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

"an attempt at pc" dear jesus. its about time the low rent who use this racist bigoted term "pc" get it into their heads that it doesn't exist.

It's not disguised as racism it a simple plain truth that obviously went over your head.

Expect me to pay for it then my opinion is valid.
    If your going to put one or two in your own home and set an example then and only then will I consider your PC waffle valid.

I also take from your slur that you own your home so view those who rent as some lower class beneath you. Is this your attempt to impose class distinction to mask your own fears or dismiss a valid point. Who pays for a never ending influx from one continent to a hand full of countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

They chucked them overboard! Murder Christians on your way to claim asylum in a predominantly Christian country. The mind boggles.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32337725

You heard the mod.

Speak no ill of muslims , lest they deploy the lawyers.

These are not all refugees, End. Most of them are economic migrants. It's nice to see you're still blindly swinging for the left-wing though. "It's the bankers faults! The poor migrants we should take them all in!".

"I've no issue with us helping the migrants"

How many homeless people live in your home?

can you quote where i said it was all the bankers fault and that we should "take them all in" or are you just spouting a little rant?

• Advertisement

Both parties were anti-migration and had plans. Abbot just marketed his ideas better. Do you really think it's a conspiracy theory by them?
    i'm sure abbot has his own "agenda" but if he can sell it to the gullible and make out its a great success in the hope of being re-elected then fair play i suppose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement