Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After SSM, what next?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

kylith wrote: »
    As a single woman in her 30s I would actually welcome this proposal.

30 shelf :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

keano_afc wrote: »
    It'll be like Marge's Chanel dress in the Simpsons. Mangled and redesigned, but lets still call it the same thing.

Sounds like you could use a hug.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Sounds like you could use a hug.

I'd prefer a coffee. You buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A United Ireland referendum would be "interesting".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Do improvements regards Irelands Divorce Laws and Fathers Rights need a referendum? Or can legislation be introduce through the Dail? Not sure any ammendments are needed to constitution to implement these - could be mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kylith wrote: »
    I think it's there to discourage you from divorcing as a sop to the religious, isn't it? A kind of cooling-off period so people don't run out getting married and divorced willy-nilly. 4 years of "Are you sure you want to get divorced? Are ya? Are ya really?"
    It's a product of its time. At the time Ireland would still have considered itself pretty religious. And the constitution contained an absolute ban on divorce. Which is retarded in itself of course.
    A complete removal of this ban on divorce was off the cards of course. You would have a lot of men and women utterly terrified that if the ban was removed, their spouse would up and leave them the next day and be gone. Which is not an unreasonable fear when you know your marriage is dead but your spouse can't leave.
    And the "think of the children" brigade of course screaming about the millions of children who would be left destitute and homeless when their fathers threw them and their mothers out.

So instead they went for a halfway house - divorce could be legalised, but within very strict guidelines. And it passed. Containing such hard rules in a constitution was idiotic in itself, but in reality it was the only way the ban on divorce could be lifted.

The next step would likely be the removal of the wait period and allow for this to be reduced or increased by law. With no "backlog" of unhappy marriages waiting to break up, there's not really any good argument for lifting these constitutional restrictions and moving them into the law instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

seamus wrote: »
    T
    So does the wait period actually have any bearing on peoples' decision to marry? It would be interesting to get some recent divorce stats and find out what the typical length of a marriage is before breaking up.

I don't know if a longer or shorter wait time does make a difference.
    However just me thinking out loud I simply hate the idea for forcing someone to stay legally married by the state for 4 years (It's not the state getting married or divorced) against their wishes when the wait to get married is only a few months. Particularly in cases when the reason for the breakdown is abuse and stuff like that.
    T
    I imagine the "this is a serious matter" thing actually kicks in at the start where you require 3 months notice to get married and can't just decide on a whim to have it done the next day.

Maybe it should be turned around and make it a longer wait to get married instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

smash wrote: »
    30 shelf :pac:

I like it up here on my shelf. There's a good view :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

All of the following please:

Abortion.
    Reduction of the 4 years rule on Divorce.
    Removal of the Blasphemy law.
    Removal of any references to God from the preamble to the constitution (perhaps to be replaced with a line about us being a secular state? Could lead to finally ridding our education system of the scourge of religion)
    Replacing the clause about a womans place in the home with one stating that no laws may make any distinction as to gender (leading to equal rights for fathers regardless of marital status, making rape by a woman a crime etc.)
    Removal of Irish as an official language

Non constitutional changes which I think should be put to the populace as I think they'd likely pass a popular vote:

Protection of the terms engineer, institute etc.
    Legalisation of prostitution.
    Legalisation of marijuana.
    Removal of religion from the Curriculum
    Removal of Irish as a compulsory Leaving Cert subject

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Use of a mobile phone in a car will cause the car to collapse like a clown car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Sleepy wrote: »
    All of the following please:

Abortion.
    Reduction of the 4 years rule on Divorce.
    Removal of the Blasphemy law.
    Removal of any references to God from the preamble to the constitution (perhaps to be replaced with a line about us being a secular state? Could lead to finally ridding our education system of the scourge of religion)
    Replacing the clause about a womans place in the home with one stating that no laws may make any distinction as to gender (leading to equal rights for fathers regardless of marital status, making rape by a woman a crime etc.)
    Removal of Irish as an official language

Non constitutional changes which I think should be put to the populace as I think they'd likely pass a popular vote:

Protection of the terms engineer, institute etc.
    Legalisation of prostitution.
    Legalisation of marijuana.
    Removal of religion from the Curriculum
    Removal of Irish as a compulsory Leaving Cert subject

Marijuana as a compulsory Leaving Cert subject.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fathers' rights - and long overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

padd b1975 wrote: »

No it would be tedious with every extremist scrote having their say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Fathers' rights and mens' rights in general in Ireland. Do away with gender-specific rape and statutory rape laws, get rid of this "living with the mother for one year" bollocks for fathers so they get automatic joint rights and responsibilities as soon as the baby is born, etc.

padd b1975 wrote: »

Pointless imo. Months of having to listen to the media talk endlessly about nothing else, and then it would be rejected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Honestly , a reform in law for the rights of single fathers is long long overdue. In fact (And I'm no trying to downshift the upcoming one) but this is more important, there has been a lot of talk of couples rights, gay couples rights involving children throughout this , what about the rights of good honest biological fathers, they have very little in Ireland..

iDave wrote: »
    No it would be tedious with every extremist scrote having their say.

But if you tell them that their dole would be cut because we'll have to pay for dole up north too then they'll soon pipe down.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Honestly , a reform in law for the rights of single fathers is long long overdue. In fact (And I'm no trying to downshift the upcoming one) but this is more important, there has been a lot of talk of couples rights, gay couples rights involving children throughout this , what about the rights of good honest biological fathers, they have very little in Ireland..

On the bright side, if SSM referendum passes it could well have a positive impact on father's rights in the medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Abortion is something I would like to see tackled. It will be a blood bath.

Poor choice of words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Dogs have extramarital affairs with cats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

Dogs have extramarital affairs with cats

This happened in my family. Our dog had a very special relationship with our cat before our cat passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

This happened in my family. Our dog had a very special relationship with our cat before our cat passed.
    Died from exhaustion?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

BFM

Bronies Furries Marraige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

SSH?

circadian wrote: »
    BFM

Bronies Furries Marraige.
    Stop it... this isn't /b :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Religion and religious cermonies(communions and confirmations)having involvement with schools needs to be done away with.

+1. I was on a bus this morning and saw a class of kids from a nearby primary school walking to the church carrying chairs, must be a rehearsal for Communion this weekend. Absolutely fricking ridiculous stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

smash wrote: »
    Stop it... this isn't /b :D

Rules one and two, eejit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

We need a referendum on an article to allow unrestricted gun access like the US's 2nd amendment.

We then need a follow on one to allow a person to marry a gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Would love to see some realistic legislation regarding abortion but can't see it happening anytime soon.

As much as I'd like to see future referendums tackle important issues such as Abortion and Divorce, I think it'll be the more pointless crap like giving teenagers the right to vote. I will be voting yes for marriage equality but I think it's a real shame that the other question is about the age of presidential candidates.

Most of us don't give a monkeys about the minimum age for presidential candidates and I'd be concerned that a lot of people who would vote yes for marriage equality won't actually vote if it isn't something that affects them directly and that the no campaign will swing it in their favour as a result of voter apathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think it'll be the more pointless crap like giving teenagers the right to vote.

since 1973, they already have, from 18!?

Do you mean to lower it to below 18?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Equal rights for unmarried fathers regarding their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Get Iona Institutes charitable status revoked!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

If the referendum is passed, on May 23, everyone in Ireland will go gay and engage in a reckless orgy of homosexual indulgence.

You'll be the only straight in the village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

gandalf wrote: »
    Get Iona Institutes charitable status revoked!
    I don't think that requires a referendum? Or is tax-free bigotry a constitutional right?

osarusan wrote: »
    since 1973, they already have, from 18!?

Do you mean to lower it to below 18?

Yep, I don't think 16 year olds should have the vote, simple as that. I know a lot of others would disagree with me but that's how I feel about it. I can't see the logic in saying that someone of 16 is too young/immature to legally purchase alcohol but is mature enough to have a say in how the country is run. At that age they're too easily influenced. But that's a whole other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

Levra wrote: »
    Siblings should be legally allowed to marry, if two people love each other why should they be prevented from marrying.

It used to be beause of genetic birth defects, but I guess that's not an issue for two brothers there is no actual logical reason why two bothers or two sisters can't get together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Assisted suicide.

Ditto.

Assisted suicide 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Abortion, assisted suicide, rights for unmarried father's, legalisation of cannabis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Forced euthanasia on text speak users, serial selfie takers and drivers who don't take those reindeer antlers and noses off their goddamn cars. It's May, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Remove any reference to a specific gender from the constitution, and enshrine in it that no law may be passed that references a specific gender. In one big sweep removing any present, and heading off any future sex (and quite a lot of sexuality) based legal/state discrimination.

c_man wrote: »
    We need a referendum on an article to allow unrestricted gun access like the US's 2nd amendment.

We then need a follow on one to allow a person to marry a gun.

Sledgehammer!

strobe wrote: »
    Remove any reference to a specific gender from the constitution, and enshrine in it that no law may be passed that references a specific gender. In one big sweep removing any present, and heading off any future sex (and quite a lot of sexuality) based legal/state discrimination.

This makes a lot of sense. I'd love to see how the current crop of status-qouers would react to such a wide sweeping change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Legalise murder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

MadYaker wrote: »
    Legalise murder.

Yeah, maybe for one day per year....might be a good idea for a movie.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

strobe wrote: »

I'd also like to see any reference to a god removed from the constitution.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The last treaty was conveniently self amending (to an extent).

Another EU referendum probably won't be needed for a while, until when/if enlargement occurs again for the former Yugoslav countries.

You know Slovenia and Croatia are in the EU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The SSB referendum. It'll be a vote on whether to add Super Smash Brothers to the leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I'd like to see a push for a formal seperation of church and state. No reference to God in the constitution and no prayers at government business. A completely neutral state that accepts diversity but doesn't participate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Tayto Crisps and Barry's Tea to be the definitive Nations favourite.

Watch those vicious King and Lyons "No" campaigners come out from under their rocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement