Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 16: Indian Spiced Chicken & Rice Bake

Options
  • 24-04-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone!

This recipe serves 4 to 6 people, however as there's usually just the 2 of us we half the amounts and that does us perfectly.

Also if you have a cast iron/Le Creuset type pan with a lid it'd be the handiest thing to use.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

4-6 chicken legs
    2 onions, roughly chopped
    1tbsp curry powder
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1tsp coriander seeds
    1tsp turmeric
    1tsp ground ginger
    8 cardamon pod seeds
    350g basmati rice, rinsed
    650ml chicken stock
    250g frozen peas
    100g spinach leaves

Method:

1) Preheat oven to 180c. Put some oil in a pan on a high heat and brown the chicken legs. Remove & set aside.

2) Reduce the heat in the pan & fry onions until softened. Then add the spices and rice and stir everything through.

3) Transfer the rice mixture to a baking/oven-proof dish, ensure that the chicken legs are on top. Pour in the stock and add seasoning. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.

4) Mix through the spinach & peas, then cover & pop it back in the oven for another 10 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through.

ffe17bb0-5ee8-45c5-8abf-4d254e63a811.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Elmpark

Looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Mamma Santa that looks delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Will be made in this house pretty dam soon, whats not to like with chicken, rice and spices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Black or Green Cardamom pods?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Recipe calls for green cardamon pods

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I'm assuming if you have said Le Crueset type dish you use the lid rather than foil when covering?

Looks fantastic. Think I will make this next week so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

This looks great, OP. I love one pot wonders!

hdowney wrote: »
    I'm assuming if you have said Le Crueset type dish you use the lid rather than foil when covering?

Looks fantastic. Think I will make this next week so :)

Thanks hdowney! Yeah use the lid if you have one of those kind of dishes.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm beginning to love the kind of dinners where I can lob the lot into a casserole dish and get on with surfing boards other chores while its cooking.

Gonna try this tomorrow night so!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Exactly!!! so much ease. The casserole or the crock pot and I am a happy camper. I'mma gonna try this prolly tomorrow or Fridyah meself!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Haha so true. We need more of these one pot wonders :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

This is awesome, really love recipes that use chicken legs or thighs rather than breast. Yummier and less expensive, winning all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi,

Made this today and it was lovely. Only had chicken breast. Great on a day like today too when something warm was needed.

17137744547_cacfd71187_c.jpg

Thanks again!
    Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Made this tonight, definitely going on the list of regular dinners. Think I would cook the chicken first and then shred it into it in the pan next time though, to make it easier to eat and freeze/reheat. Thanks OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I made it for dinner yesterday.
    My 3yr olds reivew - its delicious !
    Have to say it was very easy to make and very tasty.

The only change I would make next time is to use fresh ginger. I couldnt taste the dried ginger in it (probably because its been sitting there a while)

Thanks GrahamThomas

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Just made this, I've been dying for exactly this kind of recipe for a long time now. Delicious and satisfying.

Another cooking club success for me :)

ETA: Is 1 tbsp of curry powder a typo or are you supposed to use that much? I was a bit afraid so I used an extremely heaped teaspoon. As tasty as the meal was, I'd have loved a little more spiciness and I wondered whether extra curry powder would have given it that kick.

Yeah it's 1 tbsp of curry powder, I find most curry powders are pretty mild/medium for my tastes so I don't know how much of an extra kick the full tbsp would give it.

Usually if I'm looking for a bit more heat in a dish like this I'll just add some chilli powder!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Yeah it's 1 tbsp of curry powder, I find most curry powders are pretty mild/medium for my tastes so I don't know how much of an extra kick the full tbsp would give it.

Usually if I'm looking for a bit more heat in a dish like this I'll just add some chilli powder!

Cheers Graham. I used fresh ginger so I might up the curry powder and throw in some fresh chilli next time too!

Advertisement