Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good News and Bad News Thread!

• 21-12-2008 1:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

First the good news:

New legislation aimed at tackling spam has been signed into law.
    The regulations, which come into effect immediately, relate to all unsolicited mail sent by email, text message or fax.
    Under the legislation unsolicited mail for direct marketing purposes will be an indictable offence.
    Fines of up to €250,000 or ten per cent of a company's turnover will be imposed for serious breaches of the law.
    Fines for less serious offences will increase from €3,000 to €5,000.

Source: http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/new-internet-spam-tackling-legislation-introduced-1582681.html

Sorry, now the bad news!

The TD's that have gone on their 40 day (bloody hell!!!) holidays will cost the state an approximate €11 million Euro for their break!

Source: http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tds-grab-expenses-and-run-for-40-days-1582564.html

Isn't that nice! When you see one, don't forget to wish them a merry Christmas! :rolleyes:

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Biggins wrote: »

The TD's that have gone on their 40 day (bloody hell!!!) holidays will cost the state an approximate €11 million Euro for their break!

and should be all sacked when they come back in January.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭BravoSierra

and should be all sacked when they come back in January.....

Or should be roughed up at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

:mad:

Wow, so if those idiots stay working, they could afford the money for the cervical cancer prevention scheme?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

galwayrush wrote: »
    Wow, so if those idiots stay working, they could afford the money for the cervical cancer prevention scheme?

Yep, my thoughts exactly.
    (I have 2 daughters).

For that alone, its a national disgrace!

Ah but I bet its always been this way. It's only now that people are tightening their belts and whatnot that they are actually questioning; why?

Their holidays should be based on their achievements and what they have done for the public. The more you've done, the more holidays you'll get and vice versa for the less you've done.

Or if you f*ck up the country, the only thing you get is a "goodbye" and a swift kick up the arse.

• Advertisement

(I have 2 daughters).

!

Same here, makes me think of M Harney as one heartless bitch.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Not wishing to be pedantic,that's not the Flutt's way, but they are not on a break,it's just that the Dail is not sitting.

Now having said that, I think it's disgraceful in view of the fact that apparently, this country is in the biggest crisis ever,they should all shut down the Dail and carry on as heretofore.

Surely the crisis is of such depth and magnitude and seriousness that our elected representatives should leave no stone unturned and no effort spared to find a solution.

I find this astounding, and totally lacking in leadership, and to be honest, I have lost all confidence in this Govt. particularly the triumvirate running the show.
    (I know Mary Coughlan is a woman)

Astounding !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

(I have 2 daughters).

For that alone, its a national disgrace!

Stop complaining, if you're that concerned, get it done privately. Otherwise, don't worry about. WCS you lose a daughter, but you have a spare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Donny5 wrote: »
    Stop complaining, if you're that concerned, get it done privately. Otherwise, don't worry about. WCS you lose a daughter, but you have a spare.

Getting it done privately - however I'm also protesting (and have done already) for those that can't afford to have it done privately.

Why? Because its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stop complaining, if you're that concerned, get it done privately. .

TBH, I've heard loads of people moaning and whinging about the government not going ahead with somethign they never gave in the first place, saying it's only €xm . Have yet to hear anyone saying" hell yeah, it's only €150 (picked random figure) think I'll give up a couple of nights out/a christmas present etc and get her to a doctor and have it done myself".

You dont HAVE to wait for the government to do things for you.

Giveing everyone free treatment for every illness is also the right thing to do, but it doesnt work like that.

As for the "holidays", they've always been there and everyone knew a year ago this was the case, where was all the moaning then?

Has anyone that has needed the services of their local td gone to their offices and asked them why they are sitting their listenign to them moan and not in the dail? Or is it just when people think they are all heading off to the bahamas on state money for 40 days? They do other things as well as sit in the dail talking to Enda Kenny.

• Advertisement

Getting it done privately - however I'm also protesting (and have done already) for those that can't afford to have it done privately.

Same here, i can afford it privately, but there are a lot of people struggling financially in this country.

I may agree were it essential medical care, but it's not. Instead it's a luxury, which individuals can avail if they so desire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

The shock and horror of someone getting a holiday. I never..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Same here, i can afford it privately, but there are a lot of people struggling financially in this country.

There are members of my family who are struggling since my uncle had a heart attack a couple of years back. He was a self employed briockie that also employed his son.

Since then they have had little or no income and can be heard whinging and moaning at every turn about how little help they get from the social welfare. They are also a bit slow and do tend to go on about christmas and the like and how the daughter is getting a couple of grands worth of a dog (a bloody dog) . If the subject of cancer vaccines came up- I'm sure they'd be giving out about mary harney too and saying how they cant afford it.

The only reason they cant afford it is because they spend whatever money they have on other things. The sky subscription hasnt been cancelled either (god forbid)

Ass Face wrote: »
    The shock and horror of someone getting a holiday. I never..

It's not actually a holiday, as such. TDs are given lots of what's called "time off", but is in fact time not spent with the Dáil sitting, as TDs are expected, or should be, at least, to spent time working in their constituencies and various commities. That said, have you ever seen how bloody empty the Dáil is even when it is sitting?
    Stekelly wrote: »
    There are members of my family who are struggling since my uncle had a heart attack a couple of years back. He was a self employed briockie that also employed his son.

Since then they have had little or no income and can be heard whinging and moaning at every turn about how little help they get from the social welfare. They are also a bit slow and do tend to go on about christmas and the like and how the daughter is getting a couple of grands worth of a dog (a bloody dog) . If the subject of cancer vaccines came up- I'm sure they'd be giving out about mary harney too and saying how they cant afford it.

The only reason they cant afford it is because they spend whatever money they have on other things. The sky subscription hasnt been cancelled either (god forbid)

I know the type, and they shouldn't be given social welfare payments.

I know the type, and they shouldn't be given social welfare payments.

Indeed, I remember a family who wouldn't work, made countless compo claims, constantly whinged about how badly off they were, yet they managed to be in the pub at least 3 nights a week, while their kids were left in rags. I remember 2 of the kids playing in the snow , in t-shirts because the parents wanted them out of the house because of their hangovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Actually, no.
    The vast majority of the costs would apply regardless of whether the Dail sat or not.
    Not wishing to be pedantic,that's not the Flutt's way, but they are not on a break,it's just that the Dail is not sitting.
    Thats not pedantic, and thank you for pointing it out.
    All the Ministers will keep working over Christmas, and all the TDs will be working in their constituencies, doing work for us.

Advertisement